Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Austerity - myth or reality?

Austerity - myth or reality?

Old Nov 8th 2019, 2:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austerity - myth or reality?

Originally Posted by robin1234

There was a comedy skit, may have been Monty Python, may have been something else.
Dad calls in son to give him the sex ed lecture.
Dad chickens out - he tells him a woman gets pregnant by sitting down in a chair that’s still warm from her husband sitting on it.
Son is v. concerned - says he just sat down in a chair still warm from the cat ....
Oh! Sorry for being dense. That's funny, I'll have to hunt for the clip on YouTube
Old Nov 8th 2019, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

As a fairly serious question, who started using the term Austerity? I know it's a word and I know it's meaning but why did it suddenly become one of the words to use all the time? Just curious.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the term was common in Britains post war period - I don't know if that was the first use.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 1:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Oh! Sorry for being dense. That's funny, I'll have to hunt for the clip on YouTube
I’ve been searching for it, unsuccessfully. Surely I didn’t imagine it? I suppose it could have been Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. Anyone else remember this??
Old Nov 8th 2019, 1:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is, different in an important respect from my memory..

Old Nov 8th 2019, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I believe the term was common in Britains post war period - I don't know if that was the first use.
Yea , I know it goes back a long way but I just wondered who decided to start using it again.
It's one of the "buzz" words of Brexit , right?

Old Nov 8th 2019, 2:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
As a fairly serious question, who started using the term Austerity? I know it's a word and I know it's meaning but why did it suddenly become one of the words to use all the time? Just curious.
Yea , I know it goes back a long way but I just wondered who decided to start using it again.
It's one of the "buzz" words of Brexit , right?
I think the answer is that it was official Conservative Government policy, introduced by the Cameron government in 2009.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit...rity_programme

On 26 April 2009 David Cameron declared that "the age of irresponsibility is giving way to the age of austerity"
Old Nov 8th 2019, 3:08 pm
Account Closed

I think the answer is that it was official Conservative Government policy, introduced by the Cameron government in 2009.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit...rity_programme

On 26 April 2009 David Cameron declared that "the age of irresponsibility is giving way to the age of austerity"
Thank you. I just get annoyed when certain words get used over and over! I know, weird!
Old Nov 8th 2019, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I just get annoyed when certain words get used over and over! I know, weird!
You mean, like, "brexit"!
Old Nov 8th 2019, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You mean, like, "brexit"!

Old Nov 8th 2019, 10:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cameron .

Now I have to wash the mouth with a cracked years old sliver of carbolic soap.
Old Nov 8th 2019, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, good.
Among available roles are;

Herb garden
Bee keeping
manuscript copying
refectory duties
hiding personnel folders from the police

Any preference?
I'm very late to this and seem to have missed all the fun. Can I tend the herb garden and be the chief taster of the champagne cellar? I have my own cloak, so I won't need a habit or whatever monks wear.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm very late to this and seem to have missed all the fun. Can I tend the herb garden and be the chief taster of the champagne cellar? I have my own cloak, so I won't need a habit or whatever monks wear.
Listen here missy, I already have dibs on the wine cellar but I'll save a seat for you. I'm intending to sneak a couple of bottles of vodka in for when we get tired of wine (tired of wine, ha!), so bring mint for our mojitos.