British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Austerity - myth or reality? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/austerity-myth-reality-929114/)

hrowen Nov 6th 2019 8:35 pm

Austerity - myth or reality?

Given that election season is hitting the UK at the moment, very unusual for a winter a lot of talk is about austerity but did it ever exist in the UK?

During my time there I saw families who for generations had never worked one day in their life, seemed to just smoke and drink endlessly yet go on multiple holidays each year with taxpayers cash. This was supposedly during austerity! Its no wonder working people got so irate in the UK seeing this. The shambles in the UK was that you were better off not working and its working folk that are hardest hit for everything!

Really in the UK they should raise the wages of people that make the effort to work and cut/stop the benefits for those that cant be bothered. In the US I feel welfare is less generous and for those that work like me here the rewards are better.

civilservant Nov 7th 2019 10:50 am

Re: Austerity - myth or reality?

Look at the damage done to local social care and the NHS. Council budgets have been cut dramatically.

Universal credit has thrown some people off benefits who genuinely needed them.

Yes austerity exists.

spouse of scouse Nov 7th 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by hrowen (Post 12759955)
Given that election season is hitting the UK at the moment, very unusual for a winter a lot of talk is about austerity but did it ever exist in the UK?

During my time there I saw families who for generations had never worked one day in their life, seemed to just smoke and drink endlessly yet go on multiple holidays each year with taxpayers cash. This was supposedly during austerity! Its no wonder working people got so irate in the UK seeing this. The shambles in the UK was that you were better off not working and its working folk that are hardest hit for everything!

Really in the UK they should raise the wages of people that make the effort to work and cut/stop the benefits for those that cant be bothered. In the US I feel welfare is less generous and for those that work like me here the rewards are better.

Since you already seem to have your own answers, why did you post this?

christmasoompa Nov 7th 2019 12:10 pm

During my time there

When was this and how long were you there for?

robin1234 Nov 7th 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12760170)
When was this and how long were you there for?

During my time there I saw families who for generations had never worked one day in their life, seemed to just smoke and drink endlessly yet go on multiple holidays each year with taxpayers cash.

He was there so long, he was able to observe several generations of families succeed each other. In earlier generations, he saw them go to Skegness for a week, by train. Then it was a package holiday to the Costas. More recently, Orlando. (That’s the ones who didn’t die of lung cancer or the DTs.)

spouse of scouse Nov 7th 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12760183)

He was there so long, he was able to observe several generations of families succeed each other. In earlier generations, he saw them go to Skegness for a week, by train. Then it was a package holiday to the Costas. More recently, Orlando. (That’s the ones who didn’t die of lung cancer or the DTs.)

And these latter generations of families must go on their multiple holidays per year by sea, you're not allowed to smoke at all on planes let alone endlessly.

Mempete Nov 7th 2019 1:04 pm

I think everyone sees what they want to see.
My experience is that there are lots of people in the UK that take advantage of the appearance of an austere life, but manage to afford cigarettes, booze and top line cell phones. I personally know of one family in the UK who can't afford to work as the benefits for their wheelchair bound daughter would stop.
So is austerity real? or just an appearance in the eyes of the beholder?

spouse of scouse Nov 7th 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mempete (Post 12760193)
My experience is that there are lots of people in the UK that take advantage of the appearance of an austere life, but manage to afford cigarettes, booze and top line cell phones. I personally know of one family in the UK who can't afford to work as the benefits for their wheelchair bound daughter would stop.

Just curious, how does one 'take advantage of the appearance of an austere life'?

Lion in Winter Nov 7th 2019 1:25 pm

Of course it exists. Why is that even a question? It has been stated government policy for years. It's hardly a secret.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...rity_programme

Mempete Nov 7th 2019 1:39 pm

I know of people who won't use banks and only work for cash, so they can make it look like they earn very little! And are happy to walk around in clothing that comes from thrift shops and give the appearance of an austere life! Oh and suprisingly Social Services slapped their wrist so hard when they got caught. They even helped pay for legal counsel to defend them in court!!!
I am sure everyone on this site knows at least one person that forever poor mouths. Equally i bet everyone here knows someone that truly struggles and never says a word about it.

robin1234 Nov 7th 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12760198)
Just curious, how does one 'take advantage of the appearance of an austere life'?

Become a monk and live in a monastery where they have a good wine cellar?

spouse of scouse Nov 7th 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12760275)

Become a monk and live in a monastery where they have a good wine cellar?

I'm sold. Where do I sign up?

robin1234 Nov 7th 2019 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12760281)
I'm sold. Where do I sign up?

There’s a waiting list, but I’ll put you down.

spouse of scouse Nov 7th 2019 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12760283)

There’s a waiting list, but I’ll put you down.

Thank you very much. In the meantime, I'll practice talking in a deep voice.

hrowen Nov 7th 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mempete (Post 12760193)

Exactly the definition of poverty in the UK seems to be not having the latest iPhone. How is it that someone on benefits and doesnt work has the latest iphones and can afford to go on several holidays a year? If this is austerity how was their life before the benefits buffet was curtailed a bit with cap on overall benefits (good number of families were raking in over 100k+ prior to this). Why are non-working people on welfare living in elite parts of London working families have no chance of ever living in?

There are millions of lazy Brits who have taken the easy choice of welfare over work. Why have millions of Eastern Europeans flooded the UK labor market doing jobs that lazy Brits wont do? That is the one saving grace of the US is that you must work and you cant simply choose welfare as the lifestyle option you can in the UK.