Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Asking for a promotion in the US workplace

Asking for a promotion in the US workplace

Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asking for a promotion in the US workplace

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think the culture of the company makes a huge difference as to what approach you should take.

It took me years to get where I am today in this company but I now make (literally) more than double what my starting salary was.

Some of the things that I think made all of the difference for me:

1. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. I started really going out of my way to out-dress and out-groom management. So when the boss looked at me, the visual he got was of somebody more accomplished than those who were supposedly my superiors.

2. Start doing the more advanced work before you are actually being paid to do the work. Basically, I took the initiative before I had any promise of being rewarded. This is risky and, yes, I was taken advantage of for a couple of years before it paid off.

3. Let them know you are interested in more challenges (and money) before actually putting them on the spot. If you put them on the spot before they're ready to make a decision, or if they have something/somebody else in mind, the kneejerk reaction will always be "no". Plant the seed and later when they promote you they'll think that it was all their idea.

4. Do the things that nobody else is willing to do.

5. Play the long game. Strategery. ...
That's all good advice, but my employer rarely if ever "promotes" anyone - vacancies are posted and you apply for them .... then the points you suggested come into play in varying degrees, to determine who gets the role.

Recently one of my managers noted that I was neither titled nor remunerated comparably with my "peers", despite in some cases having more experience. He told me he would work to get me a promotion. I am not holding my breath.

ETA - my experience of your point 4 is that the more you do that other people won't do, the more indispensable you make yourself in the role you currently have. Much I have enjoyed pursuing that sort of strategy in multiple jobs throughout my career, it to my chagrin that the people who seem to get promoted are the ones who don't get bogged down in the minutiae of their current role but who spend their time demonstrating their suitability for the role they desire while largely ignoring the job that they are supposed to be doing.

One of my colleagues almost entirely ignored a significant project that he was tasked with completing, repeatedly assuring his immediate manager that the project was on target for completion, when in fact here had been almost no progress at all. Instead sucked up to a manager two or three tiers higher up the corporate tree. He deserved to have been fired for the mess he left, which blew up in the face of his immediate manager, and reduced one of his peers to tears when the finger of blame was pointed at her. Meanwhile, before the mess became apparent, he was plucked out and given a plumb assignment in another office, where he proceeded to irritate, alienate, and thoroughly p裏-off pretty much everyone he came into contact with. But none of this prevented him returning a year later to his previous location to be given an entire team to manage on the basis of his "successes" In fairness he seems to be more useful at this more senior level where he can encourage others and has less actual hands-on work to do himself.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2017 at 3:14 am.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
One of my colleagues almost entirely ignored a significant project that he was tasked with completing, repeatedly assuring his immediate manager that the project was on target for completion, when in fact here had been almost no progress at all. Instead sucked up to a manager two or three tiers higher up the corporate tree. He deserved to have been fired for the mess he left, which blew up in the face of his immediate manager, and reduced one of his peers to tears when the finger of blame was pointed at her. Meanwhile, before the mess became apparent, he was plucked out and given a plumb assignment in another office, where he proceeded to irritate, alienate, and thoroughly p裏-off pretty much everyone he came into contact with. But none of this prevented him returning a year later to his previous location to be given an entire team to manage on the basis of his "successes" In fairness he seems to be more useful at this more senior level where he can encourage others and has less actual hands-on work to do himself.
Do you work for my company?

Another voice added to the chorus of "know your culture and your industry" but it does seem far more normal and acceptable to be openly ambitious in the US than in the UK and to say that you want a promotion and pay rise. The only other comment I can add over and above the good stuff on this thread is to look at colleagues who have recently been promoted and see what they did to get there and if any of that could apply to you.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 11:58 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

J-

Some more thoughts.

Try to figure out why you haven't already been offered the job. Think of it from the point of view of your boss. Not to get too esoteric but --- Sometimes you have to put yourself inside their head. Is it about budget, or maybe your boss is a procrastinator, maybe she likes you in your current position etc etc.

One of the women I work with has made her way up by swallowing up other positions. Several times, when somebody leaves or moves elsewhere in the company, she has taken over their work for big money but yet it's still less than what it would cost them to hire somebody. Of course, this is all laughable because, before she started doing that, we all knew they did **** all. Your mileage may vary.

FWIW - I like the idea of a semi-formal email. The one that I sent, when I got turned down , was really more like a job application or a pitch for the job. I didn't get too wordy but I went into detail about why I was qualified blah blah blah. It is a completely acceptable format in this age and I think it gives both parties a graceful way to escape any awkwardness.
I quite like the idea of the email too, but want to be sure it is read and acted upon.

To be clear, I am not going for a different or open position. Rather, I am going for a grade bump in the position I have (from Bottle Washer to Senior Bottle Washer, let's say) due to increased and higher-level responsibilities I have been taking on/am about to take on. As far as I can tell, this kind of promotion is given mostly only when someone agitates for it. So if I don't push myself forward it won't happen, much as the English in me wants to just do good work and modestly wait to be noticed.

I work for a charity, so I have to be a little careful about talking about the whole "I want to make more money" thing, although everybody knows what these things are really about. But the time is now due to these other shifts I mentioned.

It took me almost three years and three attempts to get into the head office - what I lack in knowledge and ability I make up for in obstinacy.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Something I've always kept in the back of my mind... no matter what your day-to-day responsibilities are, your real job is to make your boss look good! That's worked out pretty well for me!

Ian
Also, when you want them to do something that you need done, seed the idea in such a way as to make them feel it was their idea all along.

Managing up.....
Old Jun 21st 2017, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems most of this advice is mostly geared towards office type jobs?
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in some companies where sleeping with the boss can get you promoted, but that is not something I would do.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Do you work for my company?
I was going to ask the same thing! I mean, it's possible that we all work for the same corporate entity.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
I was going to ask the same thing! I mean, it's possible that we all work for the same corporate entity.
I think this is just what happens. Sometimes its more to do with your golf handicap than how good you are at your job. Sometimes it's dependent on how believable the BS you give your boss is. Some bosses are smarter than others.

Last edited by mrken30; Jun 21st 2017 at 5:27 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 5:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

As a people manager, one of the easiest ways to allow me to promote you is by starting to do the job already. It makes justifying the promotion so much easier to the VP who signs off any promotion.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 7:54 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I quite like the idea of the email too, but want to be sure it is read and acted upon.

To be clear, I am not going for a different or open position. Rather, I am going for a grade bump in the position I have (from Bottle Washer to Senior Bottle Washer, let's say) due to increased and higher-level responsibilities I have been taking on/am about to take on. As far as I can tell, this kind of promotion is given mostly only when someone agitates for it. So if I don't push myself forward it won't happen, much as the English in me wants to just do good work and modestly wait to be noticed.

I work for a charity, so I have to be a little careful about talking about the whole "I want to make more money" thing, although everybody knows what these things are really about. But the time is now due to these other shifts I mentioned.

It took me almost three years and three attempts to get into the head office - what I lack in knowledge and ability I make up for in obstinacy.
Right. Despite what everybody else is saying about their particular situations (again --- culture and environment dictate which approach should be taken) it sounds like you and I work in similar environments. Which means that we have to create these opportunities for ourselves.

How comfortable are you with your boss? How often do you see her? Do you have reason to believe she would ignore an email and/or simply never respond or act upon it?
Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:22 pm

Right. Despite what everybody else is saying about their particular situations (again --- culture and environment dictate which approach should be taken) it sounds like you and I work in similar environments. Which means that we have to create these opportunities for ourselves.

How comfortable are you with your boss? How often do you see her? Do you have reason to believe she would ignore an email and/or simply never respond or act upon it?
She's relatively new and an unknown (my boss, that is). She has only become my boss due to someone else getting the boot. However, I am clear that an email alone will not do it so my options seem to be:
  • Email and leave a printed copy of it on her desk (along with my old and self-written new job desc.) Follow up method tbd

I don't think I can/should do it all in person since that puts her on the spot. My hope is that she will consult HR, where I have somewhat seeded the ground already (strategery).
    Old Jun 21st 2017, 8:30 pm
    WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

She's relatively new and an unknown (my boss, that is). She has only become my boss due to someone else getting the boot. However, I am clear that an email alone will not do it so my options seem to be:
    • Email and leave a printed copy of it on her desk (along with my old and self-written new job desc.) Follow up method tbd

I don't think I can/should do it all in person since that puts her on the spot. My hope is that she will consult HR, where I have somewhat seeded the ground already (strategery).
      Up until now, how have you normally been communicating with her?
      Old Jun 21st 2017, 9:47 pm

Up until now, how have you normally been communicating with her?
      Almost entirely by email, but that was before I became her direct report and had 1:1 meetings with her.
      Old Jun 22nd 2017, 12:27 am
      WTF?

Almost entirely by email, but that was before I became her direct report and had 1:1 meetings with her.
      This is a challenge. I say that mainly because she is an unknown entity. My opinion FWIW is to certainly go ahead with the email. You could base your follow-up strategy on how/if she responds to the email. There are only a couple of different scenarios and you just need to get it straight in your mind what your reaction should be to any and every eventuality.

Good luck to you.
      Old Jun 22nd 2017, 3:50 pm
      Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can think of places I have worked where it was nigh on impossible to be promoted internally, but if you left you could come back at a much higher level. Jobs were advertised internally but you know that the beneficiary was lined up.

Others where it was expected that most vacancies would be filled internally and only if that was not possible would external candidates be considered.

So depends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.