British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Article on US vacation time. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/article-us-vacation-time-825297/)

Hotscot Feb 17th 2014 4:57 pm

Article on US vacation time.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...merica-lacking

Scouse Express Feb 17th 2014 5:23 pm

Re: Article on US vacation time.

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 11134007)

Judging by the amount of Vacation we get in the US, it must be a really small article :p

Pulaski Feb 17th 2014 5:27 pm

Once the Graundiad always the Grauniad.

.... Most people now call it President's Day and view it as a celebration of all American presidents (or, at least, the more popular ones from the past). ....
That would be "Presidents' Day". :rolleyes:

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 17th 2014 5:36 pm

The article has an error when it comes to Canada, they seem to think Canada has 19 mandated days off per year which is not true.

It will vary a bit by province since each province has slightly differing employment standards.

But in British Columbia mandated time off is:

First year of employment- 0

2nd to 4th year of employment 10 days.

5th year and beyond 15 days.

Now if you change employers, you start over, doesn't carry forward to the new employer, so if you have 9 years in at one employer, and move to a new employer, your back down to 0 in year 1, and 10 days in years 2 to 4.

We do have 10 statutory holidays in BC, but companies are not required to close, and many places remain open on those days, so they can't really be counted as time off, as its not mandatory an employer close on those days, so you may have to work.

So in theory in BC if in a job that gets all stat holidays off, you can at maximum get 25 days off in a year. But the max your are legally entitled to actually have off, is 10 and 15 days.

Uncle_Bob Feb 17th 2014 5:40 pm

You also have the option to call in sick. You still get paid and can have a few long weekends away each year in addition to your paid vacation.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 17th 2014 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11134112)
You also have the option to call in sick. You still get paid and can have a few long weekends away each year in addition to your paid vacation.

Quick way to get fired if you make it a habit of calling in sick on holidays...lol

Assuming you get paid sick time you get paid, but more and more people no longer get that benefit.

Bob Feb 17th 2014 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11134073)
Once the Graundiad always the Grauniad.

That would be "Presidents' Day". :rolleyes:

And it's just a day to go buy a car, with balloons...

Bob Feb 17th 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11134132)
Quick way to get fired if you make it a habit of calling in sick on holidays...lol

Assuming you get paid sick time you get paid, but more and more people no longer get that benefit.

Yeah, the missus worked at a place that is pretty good about taking sick time, it's no skin as it's out of the PTO, but without need for notice but if you take it before/after a holiday weekend you are required a doctors note or face termination, which happens after a couple of incidences.

AmerLisa Feb 17th 2014 6:28 pm

I remember, years ago, when there were two consecutive three day weekends, Lincoln and Washington. Not sure when they condensed it down to one, but I was happy enough with that. In the district I work in and my daughter attends, they just give 5 day weekends (unless we've had snow days to make up) and call it mid-winter break!

dakota44 Feb 17th 2014 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11134096)
The article has an error when it comes to Canada, they seem to think Canada has 19 mandated days off per year which is not true.

It will vary a bit by province since each province has slightly differing employment standards.

But in British Columbia mandated time off is:

First year of employment- 0

2nd to 4th year of employment 10 days.

5th year and beyond 15 days.

Now if you change employers, you start over, doesn't carry forward to the new employer, so if you have 9 years in at one employer, and move to a new employer, your back down to 0 in year 1, and 10 days in years 2 to 4.

We do have 10 statutory holidays in BC, but companies are not required to close, and many places remain open on those days, so they can't really be counted as time off, as its not mandatory an employer close on those days, so you may have to work.

So in theory in BC if in a job that gets all stat holidays off, you can at maximum get 25 days off in a year. But the max your are legally entitled to actually have off, is 10 and 15 days.

I can't speak for BC but over 30 years in Ontario I always had, Christmas, Boxing Day, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, Canada Day, Victoria Day, Good Friday off. Yes, some of the malls and big box stores, pharmacies, gas stations, fast food places, among others, remained open on some of those days. If they remained open the employees had to be paid time and a half plus the holiday pay or be given another paid day off in lieu of the holiday pay portion.

As for vacation, just like BC, you earn two weeks vacation over your first 12 months and take it within the following 12 months. With employer permission one can take vacation days in the first year, to the extent they have earned them.
If they have earned one week, the employer may grant permission to take one week of vacation in the first year.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 17th 2014 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by dakota44 (Post 11134221)
I can't speak for BC but over 30 years in Ontario I always had, Christmas, Boxing Day, Thanksgiving, New Years Day, Canada Day, Victoria Day, Good Friday off. Yes, some of the malls and big box stores, pharmacies, gas stations, fast food places, among others, remained open on some of those days. If they remained open the employees had to be paid time and a half plus the holiday pay or be given another paid day off in lieu of the holiday pay portion.

BC provided you meet the requirement for holiday pay, you will get it on holidays, but there are a few exceptions.

BC has no rules on business closing on holidays, so most service oriented business are open, except on Christmas which is about the only holiday where virtually nothing is open.

I am in a industry that gets no stat holidays off as the business operates 24/7.

I company hop, so never actually make it til I am eligible for vacation time, so I haven't had one in 6 or 7 years.

kins Feb 18th 2014 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 11134112)

Not where I work you can't.

Scouse Express Feb 19th 2014 12:18 am

Originally Posted by kins (Post 11136268)
Not where I work you can't.

+1

dakota44 Feb 19th 2014 1:04 am

An 'on the books employee' here, minimum one month of vacation plus an extra months pay for that vacation, plus an extra months pay at Christmas. 14 months pay, plus another month deposited in an unemployment fund. I won't even mention profit sharing. Oops, I mentioned it. Depending on where one works, it can be huge.

Sally Redux Feb 19th 2014 2:42 am

That ad is really stupid and annoying.