Apartment burgled

Old Aug 1st 2018, 5:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apartment burgled

Originally Posted by Anian
Statistics are funny. Would you support a transport system that could teleport people, except that it would kill a million people each year? It sounds way too risky, but that would be 300,000 fewer than cars do now.
Well we banned alcohol a few decades back. We can always attempt to ban automobiles and make everyone either walk or go back to horse and buggies. That would save millions of lives. What ever was Henry Ford thinking when he invented the automobile.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 6:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

When will people accept that a free society is not a safe society?

Every time I hear a "if it saves one life", or "for the chilruns", you know what is coming next is some statist, authoritarian nonsense.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
What ever was Henry Ford thinking when he invented the automobile.
He didn't invent the automobile. He just helped bring the car to the masses. Try Karl Benz.

For bonus points, did the Wright brothers fly the first successful fixed wing plane? There is considerable doubt, so much so that the Wright brothers museum's contract to show memorabilia allegedly has a clause from the Wright brothers' estate along the lines of "you are not allowed to admit the Wright brothers were not the first".
Old Aug 1st 2018, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The old if it saves one life argument, drives me potty.
Just to be clear, that wasn't my point. I was highlighting how things look bad from one point of view but good from another with more data.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Well this escalated quickly. From my perspective to the OP, I would say it is better than not to have a firearm in the house, but only if you are trained and able to use it effectively if required, it is stored appropriately, and are fully versed in the law of your jurisdiction.

That said, in this situation it would not have helped at all, and may have also been stolen. Unfortunately burglaries are a fact of life these days, and it is probably good be thankful that no one was home. Items can be replaced.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 3:43 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

My wife can recommend your wife joins Well Armed Woman https://thewellarmedwoman.com/

She joined a few years ago, after the loss of her dog (before she knew me), since she had no dog to scare off intruders, and wanted feel safe.

They allow women to train in a comfortable women only setting - no ex forces/police alpha male instructors.

If you want a gun for self defence, you need to practice with it, as well as learn the law. Insurance is highly recommended too.

Whilst I do have my CC permit, I'm not comfortable to carry or use for self defence yet. More training and practice is required for me. Also, I've not felt unsafe where we live, and we do avoid the dodgy areas.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ivanidea
My wife can recommend your wife joins Well Armed Woman https://thewellarmedwoman.com/

She joined a few years ago, after the loss of her dog (before she knew me), since she had no dog to scare off intruders, and wanted feel safe.

They allow women to train in a comfortable women only setting - no ex forces/police alpha male instructors.

If you want a gun for self defence, you need to practice with it, as well as learn the law. Insurance is highly recommended too.

Whilst I do have my CC permit, I'm not comfortable to carry or use for self defence yet. More training and practice is required for me. Also, I've not felt unsafe where we live, and we do avoid the dodgy areas.
Not something I have looked into but I know there are many similar organisations, the Guy who did mine worked at a Church Camp so not a LEO ex Military etc etc.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not something I have looked into but I know there are many similar organisations, the Guy who did mine worked at a Church Camp so not a LEO ex Military etc etc.
Local range to me has posters for the Well Armed Women, looks like they offer free rentals and range fees and training etc. Mentioned it to my wife a few times but she’s not interested!

Slightly off topic but has the fire ban around your way been lifted? Looking to go up to the parks and wildlife ranges up in the mountains to zero-in a .308, nearest 50yd range for me is hours away so I’d rather go up to the mountains!
Old Aug 5th 2018, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think there has only been 2 days when there has not been a fire ban this year. certainly the signs are up.