Apartment burgled

Old Jul 31st 2018, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apartment burgled

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Very sorry to hear about the burglary. Happened to me once when I was living in New York, although I didn't have much to steal really.

No, I didn't buy a gun. Who would I have shot? When? Do you kill someone for stealing a tv or a computer? At what point do you decide to shoot? What is the likelihood of you or your wife getting shot instead when the thief sees you pull a gun? Are you even there when the stealing is happening? Do you know how many accidental shootings of the wrong people occur in this country (clue, it's a lot)?
My main reason for suggesting a gun is so my wife feels safe in her own home especially as I'm not there. Obviously we wont be buying a gun off some fella in a pub, and she wont be lining up cans and bottles in the street for target practise! She has been to a local independent gun store for advise and is taking the test and on top of that she has booked lessons so she knows how to use it safely and correctly.

In answer to this previous question, yes I would shoot someone who has forcefully entered into my property putting my family and myself in danger regardless what their intent was, and the likelihood of them having a gun is extremely high. It's a question of shoot or be shot.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Not hard to buy a safe for a pistol, a biometric one can be purchased from Home Depot and lugged into the floor/wall - thus preventing said thief from taking it.

As above, mine has my green card, passport and other various legal documents in it as well as a firearm.

Very sorry to hear about your house being burglarized. Happened to me many years ago while living in London. We recouped most of the possessions through our insurance but as OF mentioned... It's more the thought of knowing someone has violated your personal space which you work hard for.
Yes Ben, we have looked into the bio-metric safe, however the reviews say that they are only around 60% accurate and in a lot of cases they haven't opened first time. I think a safe bolted to the floor / wall is the way to go. This is the second time my wife has been burgled in that apartment, the first time was 8 years ago. She has also spoken to all our other 5 neighbours in the block most of which will be getting a similar Ring doorbell.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly you meant burglarized

Sorry this happened. If she does acquire a firearm, make sure she's comfortable using it. Plenty of range trips needed.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
Clearly you meant burglarized

Sorry this happened. If she does acquire a firearm, make sure she's comfortable using it. Plenty of range trips needed.
LOL, yes I need to brush up on my American!

Yeah she has a few boxes of hollow points and has booked a lesson at our local range.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

ch2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Not hard to buy a safe for a pistol, a biometric one can be purchased from Home Depot and lugged into the floor/wall - thus preventing said thief from taking it.

As above, mine has my green card, passport and other various legal documents in it as well as a firearm.

Very sorry to hear about your house being burglarized. Happened to me many years ago while living in London. We recouped most of the possessions through our insurance but as OF mentioned... It's more the thought of knowing someone has violated your personal space which you work hard for.
I thought you were legally required to carry your green card with you at all times?
Old Jul 31st 2018, 3:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ch2016
I thought you were legally required to carry your green card with you at all times?
You are. You will find that many people do NOT do so and the onus is on them to deal with it when and if they are asked to produce it immediately and cannot.

Wonder why you are asking as the post you quoted did not say that he doesn't carry his green card at all times.

So your wife has already gone out and purchased a gun. No point in having hollow point bullets if you haven't a weapon to put it in.

My greatest fear is that a home robbery does not mean that the robber is carrying a weapon. It is far to easy to subdue your wife or anyone who points and hesitates to shoot immediately and then the gun is turned on them. What starts out as a simple theft becomes a murder/manslaughter charge.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 31st 2018 at 3:32 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

ch2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wonder why you are asking as the post you quoted did not say that he doesn't carry his green card at all times.
Call it "intuition"
Old Jul 31st 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My greatest fear is that a home robbery does not mean that the robber is carrying a weapon. It is far to easy to subdue your wife or anyone who points and hesitates to shoot immediately and then the gun is turned on them. What starts out as a simple theft becomes a murder/manslaughter charge.
Agreed! As well as regular range trips, I would encourage self-defence classes and a firearm training course.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 7:07 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

California doesn’t have a specific stand your ground law like we have in CO or other states but: “Under Penal Code Section 198.5, you are allowed to use deadly force within your own home if you have a “reasonable fear of imminent peril or great bodily injury.”

198.5 Legislation
The one time I was burglarized was back in 1985 shortly which afterwards I purchased a revolver. I remember the sales clerk advising me to shoot to kill if ever I had to use it since if the burglar was wounded there had been cases where the burglar had filed a lawsuit against the homeowner claiming that he had at no time threatened deadly bodily harm and it had become an issue of who was saying the truth and who was not. Whether this was sound advice from him or not I never had to find out later on fortunately. California is a highly litigatious State where lawyers are more numerous than oranges in a citrus orchard
Old Jul 31st 2018, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ch2016
I/any other permanent resident is.

I keep a photo of it (front and back) on my phone in a folder with 2FA, if I'm ever asked for it then hopefully that will suffice.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
The one time I was burglarized was back in 1985 shortly which afterwards I purchased a revolver. I remember the sales clerk advising me to shoot to kill if ever I had to use it since if the burglar was wounded there had been cases where the burglar had filed a lawsuit against the homeowner claiming that he had at no time threatened deadly bodily harm and it had become an issue of who was saying the truth and who was not. Whether this was sound advice from him or not I never had to find out later on fortunately. California is a highly litigatious State where lawyers are more numerous than oranges in a citrus orchard
Similar advice I've received from a sheriff that runs classes down at the range. He said if you don't kill, expect a civil lawsuit within 18 months claiming they can no longer work due to injury or that they never threatened your life etc etc.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigT103
Yes Ben, we have looked into the bio-metric safe, however the reviews say that they are only around 60% accurate and in a lot of cases they haven't opened first time. I think a safe bolted to the floor / wall is the way to go. This is the second time my wife has been burgled in that apartment, the first time was 8 years ago. She has also spoken to all our other 5 neighbours in the block most of which will be getting a similar Ring doorbell.
Do you own or rent your apartment?

If you rent then maybe look for another rental that has better security especially as this is the second time. Might be a safer option all round instead of getting armed!
Just a thought..
Old Aug 1st 2018, 12:07 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Similar advice I've received from a sheriff that runs classes down at the range. He said if you don't kill, expect a civil lawsuit within 18 months claiming they can no longer work due to injury or that they never threatened your life etc etc.
and if you do kill them expect a lawsuit from their estate or next of kin. Make sure you have good insurance.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 12:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Especially if you are white and the robber were a minority. Then all hell breaks out.
Old Aug 1st 2018, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury

and if you do kill them expect a lawsuit from their estate or next of kin. Make sure you have good insurance.
Only a fool would have a CHP and not have insurance so yes, I have incredibly good insurance and I hope I never ever have to use it.

OP - one of the safes I have is Biometric and also has a code (obviously has a backup key also). May be worth looking at one of those. I have two, one in each room and they’re both bolted down and would be incredibly difficult to remove, not saying it’d be impossible but certainly a challenge. Also, make sure you get firearm insurance (available through many outlets including the NRA) and always have the serial numbers of your firearms listed down in an easy to access place so if they were to ever be stolen, you can easily inform the authorities and provide the serials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.