Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anyone a YMCA member?

Anyone a YMCA member?

Old Jan 26th 2013, 11:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone a YMCA member?

What's the point of that then?

Just looking into it and locally at least, it's $1200 a year, but $100 sign up fee on top if you don't pay in full and go for the monthly fee.

Thing is, it doesn't include anything.

Free swim session is x2 hours, 3 times a week.

All the classes are $30-50, with a $10 members discount.

The kids jungle gym play area is for 6 year olds plus, so our kids can't even use that either.

The rock wall, which is pretty cool is about $20 a person, a go.

It just looks like a keeping up with Jones thing to say you're a member and having a local social area to hang out that isn't the library.

So what exactly is the point and benefit of being a member?

Local gym is $20 a month membership and another one is doing a $5 a month for 6 months on signing up for a year. So errr....
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:51 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone a YMCA member?

Holy crap that's expensive!

I must admit, I am spoiled with the gym at my work being a whole $12 a month and that includes laundry!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Holy crap that's expensive!

I must admit, I am spoiled with the gym at my work being a whole $12 a month and that includes laundry!
It seems in some areas, people are getting the classes included with the membership, so in that case, it's probably a lot more better value for money.

Seems a shame that it varies quite so much depending on region.

I know there's a sliding scale of household income on the membership, but to get any kind of reduced rate our way, well cost of membership is the least of your thoughts, but being able to afford groceries at that point.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, seems a bit expensive...

We were members a few years ago up in Freeport. thinking of joining up again as part of our nerdy new years resolutions, which have all failed btw. Back into massive glasses of merlot and steaks around here.

But...it's on our list and should be about $80 per month direct debit for a family. Well worth it as it includes all types of classes for kids and adults.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:18 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I've already replied on Facebook but thought I would add on here too.

The one I go to all the classes are included in the cost and they run from all day from around 5am to 8pm with 3-4 classes going on at the same time. This week I've done a U-Jam class which was an aerobic dance thing and Body Pump which was an aerobic weight class thing. Didn't manage the cardio-kickbox class this week, which is my favorite.

The kid drop off is cool, but can be a bit dull for my daughter now she is 10. They do have wii's, basketball and kids bike and running machines though.

She also does the summer camps that are run through the Y, for this we get around $30 per week discount and more for the week long sleepover camp she attends with them.

By the time I have taken my discount for the camps into account the cost is around $500 for the year.

I like the fact that all ages, shapes and sizes use the Y I go to, the classes never feel intimidating and the instructors are generally very good helping to correct where you are going wrong...
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is a bit cheaper.... I was a member until yesterday when I resigned or whatever you do. It was 60 per month individual or 75 per month family, and that included all the regular classes. I think it was extra for swim lessons but we never did them. The best bit was that during the summer I could go to work out and the kids could go into a "youth club " type drop off in the gymnasium ... they had coaches and highschool students organizing games and competitions for up to 3 hours all for free. Kids loved it, and it removed my excuse to avoid exercise.

Funny...round here the cheapskates (ie me!) go to the Y and the Jonestypes go to Lifetime Fitness which is about twice as much (last time I checked). Don't think we have anything as cheap as your local, but there are lots of small stripmall type places that may be...Anytime Fitness, Curves (women only.) Etc.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think every Y can be a bit different. We were members for about 5 or so years, actually I just had my daughter as a member as she was the one that was doing activities there. It was about $30 a month and I didn't have to pay a start up fee because I was a school district employee.

My daughter did all the free classes, swimming, gymnastics and some dance. They also had sports as well. However when she wanted to play soccer it cost to sign up for that. I've heard that it's now up to $50 to sign up for competitive sports. Ouch!

Anyway, my neighbor goes and she has a preschooler, she takes him swimming and they have a toddler gymnastics group as well. A couple times a week is all she does.

The biggest thing I don't like about our local Y is because they are so extremely overcrowded that all their classes are on a lottery system. So you sign your child up for example, swimming, you have to put down 4 different time choices and days, hoping you'll get your most popular choice. We have had it work out ok for us as my daughter has done, in one week, swimming, gymnastics and dance, with not too much variations on times and days. But it can be a pain! In some respects I'm glad she's outgrown it.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:36 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's expensive, our Natatorium (that's fancy talk for rec center) is $600 for the year and includes facilities (pool, gym, indoor running track, sports halls), drop off child care, and health and fitness classes. That's for a household membership (up to 5 people) and it's only a couple of years old.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I always equate YMCA with the UK's YHA, Youth Hostel Association. So I thought YMCA was a doss house for cheap travellers....Apparrently not
Old Jan 27th 2013, 3:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've already replied on Facebook but thought I would add on here too.

The one I go to all the classes are included in the cost and they run from all day from around 5am to 8pm with 3-4 classes going on at the same time. This week I've done a U-Jam class which was an aerobic dance thing and Body Pump which was an aerobic weight class thing. Didn't manage the cardio-kickbox class this week, which is my favorite.

The kid drop off is cool, but can be a bit dull for my daughter now she is 10. They do have wii's, basketball and kids bike and running machines though.

She also does the summer camps that are run through the Y, for this we get around $30 per week discount and more for the week long sleepover camp she attends with them.

By the time I have taken my discount for the camps into account the cost is around $500 for the year.

I like the fact that all ages, shapes and sizes use the Y I go to, the classes never feel intimidating and the instructors are generally very good helping to correct where you are going wrong...
See, that sounds like a cracking deal if you get all that and well worth it.

Was looking to see what rates the town rec charges for the pool a town over, but their website hasn't been updated since 2007 and the document with the cost doesn't exist any more

But, there is free ice skating, they just flooded the baseball field and skimmed it, need your own skates though, but least it's lit up at night.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:58 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What's the point of that then?

Just looking into it and locally at least, it's $1200 a year, but $100 sign up fee on top if you don't pay in full and go for the monthly fee.

Thing is, it doesn't include anything.

Free swim session is x2 hours, 3 times a week.

All the classes are $30-50, with a $10 members discount.

The kids jungle gym play area is for 6 year olds plus, so our kids can't even use that either.

The rock wall, which is pretty cool is about $20 a person, a go.

It just looks like a keeping up with Jones thing to say you're a member and having a local social area to hang out that isn't the library.

So what exactly is the point and benefit of being a member?

Local gym is $20 a month membership and another one is doing a $5 a month for 6 months on signing up for a year. So errr....
Ys are not for profits. The more they receive in donations, the more they can give away to make it affordable for everyone. The one where I live has sliding scale fees that can go as low as $30 a month for a whole family, with discounts of up to 75% off programs - not just luxury stuff like martial arts or dance or whatever, but crucial stuff for low income families like preschool and day care so the parents can afford to go to work. I used it for my son. There is also a big gym, lots exercise classes and free swimming (not lessons) available because they have two pools. The Y here gives away about $1.5 million a year so that low-income families can afford to do stuff there. But that doesn't work without good fundraising and not all Ys are good at it. All Y's are independent, they receive no central funding - they govern and manage themselves.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

The one I go to all the classes are included in the cost and they run from all day from around 5am to 8pm with 3-4 classes going on at the same time.

Ditto.

My daughter and I have been members for nearly three years.

Six months or so ago, my husband finally came along to a toddler open gym session with our daughter and I, and was blown away by just how fantastic our Y is. Our Y membership covers three locations, we just go to the one though.

http://www.missionvalley.ymca.org/fa...ells-ymca.html

We are now all members on a family membership, which costs us $75 a month.

Pre-parenthood, hubby used to pay $140 a month for single membership elsewhere
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I was a keen swimmer, before I moved to the USA. The cost of YMCA Membership soon put a stop to that.

Jim.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 10:02 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
I was a keen swimmer, before I moved to the USA. The cost of YMCA Membership soon put a stop to that.

Jim.
Costs seem to vary considerably. Locally the THPRD charges 420 per year for a family. That includes a dozen or more full size pools (all of the local High schools and others) Numerous gyms, tennis courts, t ball, softball, soccer, football, basketball, aerobics, karate etc. and many inexpensive interests i.e. building birdhouses etc. However just outside the boundaries higher costs apply.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
There are very few municipal pools here, unfortunately, unlike the UK. Some places have good park districts, but most of their pools are for playing, not serious swimming. The cost of your local Y and the facilities it has will vary very widely from place to place since they are largely funded by local people.

If all you want is a pool, rather than a full Y, then you are better off looking for just that, but they can be hard to find. Some luxury private health clubs have them, but they are usually ruinously expensive. Sometimes local universities will sell you a pool membership only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.