British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Anyone used Norwegian Air? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/anyone-used-norwegian-air-896383/)

Former Lancastrian Mar 26th 2018 3:19 pm

Re: Anyone used Norwegian Air?

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12470283)
I've had more issues with the established airlines. I point blank refuse to fly United, I couldn't care if their flight back to the UK was $5, I will never fly with them again and I've also had a number of issues with BA which is frustrating as my aunt has worked for them for over 20 years and can sometimes wrangle us a small discount.

I've not had any issues with Norwegian yet and until I do I'll be continuing to fly with them. Of all the times I've flown with them we were delayed once leaving Denver by about 6 hours and that was due to a blizzard that came in unexpectedly. Certainly wasn't Norwegian Air's fault and other airlines were grounded too. They provided us with meal vouchers which was a nice touch considering in my eyes they didn't have to as it was a weather issue, not an airline issue.

The only problem with the less established airlines is their number of aircraft in their fleets. Less chance of a Delta, United, American Airlines having no planes available if a plane has to be taken out of commission.
Weather affects all carriers.
With the USD dollar perhaps flying from a Canadian airport could work out cheaper be it Air Canada, Air Transat, Westjet or other foreign carrier.
If you want cheap fares these carriers will meet certain needs but less reliable service may occur.

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 26th 2018 4:55 pm

Lo cost - long haul has yet to prove to be a successful, long term, business model.

robtuck Mar 26th 2018 5:08 pm

I'd argue it has - Virgin changed their Economy pricing as a result of the impact Norwegian is having. You now have a well branded rubbish economy price.

robtuck Mar 26th 2018 5:09 pm

And BA were pushing down a road that probably leads to bunk bed style economy seating if they could manage. We should all just be sedated and put in boxes that are neatly packed in at the airport, making best use of space. In fact, those pod style hotels would probably end up being more comfortable for long haul anyway - everyone lying flat in a small horizontal bed space.

scrubbedexpat142 Mar 26th 2018 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by robtuck (Post 12470394)
I'd argue it has - Virgin changed their Economy pricing as a result of the impact Norwegian is having. You now have a well branded rubbish economy price.

The key word being economy, long haul requires "premium" (& I don't mean premium economy) to prosper in the long term. Otherwise the danger is a race to the bottom.

BenK91 Mar 26th 2018 6:26 pm

Virgin economy is better than BA premium economy, by miles. Wish they flew out of Denver.

I hope Norwegian stay afloat. I love the 787 compared to the ancient and loud 747's they use on our route. I just wish they had less red-eye flight times as that is the only advantage BA hold on our route.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 26th 2018 7:35 pm

But nicer if you are meeting someone...

I think I mentioned that my Brother left a spare set of golf clubs last time, only issue he had as Norwegian charge.

Ratings slightly amuse me, should be related to what you paid, seems to me Norwegian score high for a Budget line.

lansbury Mar 26th 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12470426)
The key word being economy, long haul requires "premium" (& I don't mean premium economy) to prosper in the long term. Otherwise the danger is a race to the bottom.

The race to the bottom has been going for some time, and is forcing the reasonable service carriers to join in. Look at all the basic economy fares on legacy airlines as they are forced to compete. Low fare and reasonable service are not compatible.

shiversaint Apr 2nd 2018 11:47 pm

When we're talking about the airlines that fly dreamliners, transatlantic economy products are much of a muchness.

The only issue with Norwegian, and it seems to be a persistent one, is the preponderance toward significant delays. Only with Norwegian have I experienced it so consistently, to the point that I won't fly with them now.

More often than not, it's possible to get a competitively priced ticket with one of the handful of better airlines such as Air NZ. I am concerned by what is happening to Virgin though - I used to only fly with them but now rarely consider it.

If you have the time to spare in case of the delay, the Norwegian premium product is great value. Air NZ service remains to be beaten for me.

Lion in Winter Apr 3rd 2018 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by shiversaint (Post 12474741)
When we're talking about the airlines that fly dreamliners, transatlantic economy products are much of a muchness.

The only issue with Norwegian, and it seems to be a persistent one, is the preponderance toward significant delays. Only with Norwegian have I experienced it so consistently, to the point that I won't fly with them now.

More often than not, it's possible to get a competitively priced ticket with one of the handful of better airlines such as Air NZ. I am concerned by what is happening to Virgin though - I used to only fly with them but now rarely consider it.

If you have the time to spare in case of the delay, the Norwegian premium product is great value. Air NZ service remains to be beaten for me.

The delays are what worry me more than the comfort - since I fly cattle class anyway, I expect to be uncomfortable. But delays of 24 hours are a problem - I don't have that much flexibility.

lansbury Apr 12th 2018 10:50 am

International Airlines Group are about to put in a take over bid.

robtuck Apr 12th 2018 4:36 pm

Te race to the bottom moves to buying it. I see Norwegian have 200 planes on order!! no wonder someone is interested, they are probably feeling the pinch of that, so a combination of what looks like a working business model operationally, alongside a company who will be feeling very open to inward investment.

Lion in Winter Apr 12th 2018 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12480308)
International Airlines Group are about to put in a take over bid.

Is that good or bad?

Giantaxe Apr 12th 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12480736)
Is that good or bad?

BA (owned by IAG) and Norwegian are big competitors across the North Atlantic. So given such a merger will reduce competition, I think this is largely bad for consumers. If Norwegian is going to be swallowed up by an established airline, it would be preferable for it to be a competitor of BA and less of a player for UK/US flights.

Lion in Winter Apr 13th 2018 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12480738)
BA (owned by IAG) and Norwegian are big competitors across the North Atlantic. So given such a merger will reduce competition, I think this is largely bad for consumers. If Norwegian is going to be swallowed up by an established airline, it would be preferable for it to be a competitor of BA and less of a player for UK/US flights.

So do I want to buy a flight on it from Chicago to the UK for the end of the summer, or will I be left stranded somewhere mid-purchase, as it were?