British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Anyone used Norwegian Air? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/anyone-used-norwegian-air-896383/)

Giantaxe Dec 21st 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Anyone used Norwegian Air?

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 12403532)
Not encountered this as only have Brit passport but I really like Norwegian air... Oakland to gatwick. Will only fly with them now

I've flown with both Norwegian and BA on this route in the last year and much preferred Norwegian.

Jayney2 Dec 22nd 2017 9:51 am

My daughter recently used Norwegian Air to repatriate to the UK in November. She is 23 so just took a couple of suitcases, wasn't moving a whole lot of things with her. I believe using a Flex ticket she only paid $320 one way with two suitcases from Denver to Gatwick. She had no complaints, but she's young.

Twinkle0927 Dec 23rd 2017 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 12403243)
Thanks.

Other airlines I have flown have let me list all individuals' multiple passports/citizenships and not simply a single one.

Norwegian Air has a prompt stating that we must apply for ETSA/Visa waiver/whatever the UK entrance electronic documentation is called.

Since my question above, I spoke to a friend who has flown with them recently, was in a similar situation, and had no issues as she and her family simply showed the relevant passports at check in.

I'll simply do what I/we have always done....take all travel docs and show them as above.

(Years ago United were very rude to me regarding a round trip on my UK passport with H4 visa. I flew London to California, spent a week there, then flew to Oz for a week. There were multiple discussions with various managers etc at the London check-in counter as I didn't have an ETSA and the first leg of the journey wasn't on my Oz PP. I think it created more work for them.)

I wouldn't worry about it. You only need to list one. It's not linked to immigration - it's just the APIS and to ensure that the airline had fulfilled its obligation in checking you have the correct documentation to travel. If you're flying round-trip US - UK and staying less than six months then a US passport is fine for the APIS purposes as US passport holders can enter the U.K. without a visa for up to 6 months. It's absolutely fine to put one passport in the APIS screen but present a different one at the border.

The ESTA remark will always be there for a flight going from a VWP country to the US. Even USCs will see that. It's to fulfil the airline's obligation to advise people that they need to apply for or have an ESTA before they can board. Whether it applies to you or not. It's to cover their backs.

I don't know which airlines allow multiple passports to be entered. We only collect one per passenger.

livinginnyc Dec 24th 2017 7:46 pm

I have flown with them twice recently (death in the family meant I had to rush back to say goodbye, then a second time for the funeral).

The Dreamliners are awesome but you pretty much pay for everything after the seat (food/drink) - which is fine considering the flights are so cheap and I personally don’t eat on flights.

Flying back on the first trip was a nightmare, the plane got damaged so they had to use a second (awful) plane from the early 90’s. 12 hour delay, stuck in Gatwick wasn’t fun and Norwegian didn’t provide updates... ever.

Second flight was during my ROC so I travelled with an expired green card and paperwork. Checking in was... tough as the agent had never seen the paperwork extension before but after about 10 minutes of furious typing he was able to over ride a block that was preventing him from checking me in.

Smooth sailing after that - literally. The planes are super clean and entertainment system is up to date (I watched Wonder Woman on each flight amongst a ton of other movies).

For anyone reading this in ROC - immigration agents were fine (global entry doesn’t work though), the worst part is pleading with an usher to see a TSA agent rather than a Kiosk (that took literally about 45 minutes till I was like F it and yelled my green card expired - at which point they panicked and put me in the right line).

BenK91 Dec 24th 2017 7:50 pm

I flew with them two days ago (used them about a year ago too).

No real complaints. We travelled from Denver direct to LGW. 787's are a nice upgrade from the tatty, loud and old 747's BA use on the same route (although they fly into Heathrow).

I'm 6'1 and I found the legroom in economy pretty bad (not really a surprise), we wanted to fly Premium but it was sadly booked up. Ticket prices are good, food is okay but you're not expecting fine dining anyway. Inflight entertainment was a bit crap but maybe I'm just fussy.

We'll certainly continue to use them as before BA were the only direct to London flight out of Denver, now Norwegian are there I certainly can't see us ever flying BA again.

Edit - I'm flying back next week using my Advanced Parole as my AOS is still pending so hopefully no issues but I'll update once that's happened!

Ozzidoc Dec 25th 2017 2:29 am

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the comments. I'll keep you posted....if interested :)

hobbes79 Jan 2nd 2018 7:41 pm

Just to drop back into this, our flights were totally fine. The limited luggage is a bit odd to get your head around, but you're warned and it wasn't a big deal. We were only going for a few days so managed to get away with hand luggage.

The no food or drink is obviously a bit odd, but again, no surprises. We just had a big dinner before going on the way out. And on the way back we brought a sandwich on the plane. Dropped a few $$$ to get drinks (had to be done!) but that was about it.

The plane itself was actually superb. One of the new 787s (I think). Really comfortable and great entertainment system.

If going for a long trip and with kids, the luggage and lack of food MIGHT be more of an issue. But overall, I'd definitely go with Norwegian again.

BenK91 Jan 3rd 2018 1:48 pm

Did you book the basic ticket?

We always get economy plus as it includes food and a free checked bag. Think it was only an extra $40 so it was definitely worth it.

Still ended up spending $15-20 on snacks and drinks though...

GeoffM Jan 9th 2018 4:17 pm

I know this thread started over 6 months old but... we flew them 13 months ago and found them to be fine. We paid for the meal/seat/baggage package which was worth doing. LAX was fine; food was great; IFE was reasonable (big screens but not a huge choice of movies); headphones were naff but they brought replacements when mine didn't work.

Coming back LGW check-in was chaotic with too many customers and not enough check-in desks, a check-in queue disorganiser that couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, and a check-in agent who insisted our 18kg and 22kg bags be 20kg each (so we had no choice but to hold things up while we repacked).

Friends who chose a vegetarian meal said it was disgusting. Should've stuck with the regular meals.

Last few we flew Virgin which was mostly fine. The meals LHR-LAX were something like:
- Tomato and cheese sandwich (first meal)
- Tomato bake/pastry (mid flight snack)
- Tomato curry, or tomato lasagna, or tomato something else (main meal)
I don't like tomato... Virgin did at least later acknowledge after that the selection of meals wasn't appropriate or diverse enough that day.

Still didn't quite beat British Airway's business class ticket I paid for all those years ago where they ran out of food in the pantry, and refused to let me eat something from economy instead of their choice of green salad with vinaigrette, or dark green salad with some other vinegar-based dressing already applied.

Oh for another Filet Mignon in economy on Singapore Airlines!

markonline1 Jan 9th 2018 7:38 pm

Holy hell! I had no idea Norwegian flew from Oakland to Gatwick till I read this thread. Just checked their prices. And on the Dreamliner too!!! I think I might be taking a couple of trips a year Home at these prices.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 9th 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12414908)
Holy hell! I had no idea Norwegian flew from Oakland to Gatwick till I read this thread. Just checked their prices. And on the Dreamliner too!!! I think I might be taking a couple of trips a year Home at these prices.

Remember the Carbon emissions are similar.

Ozzidoc Feb 11th 2018 4:05 am

A belated update.

We flew Norwegian LAX to Gatwick on Boxing Day for a 15 day holiday. Two adults, two kids. We bought the economy plus tickets - or whatever it's called. We spent some money on food/drinks on the way over (night flight) and lots more on the way back (daytime flight).

Check-in at both ends was easy. There was no measuring of the size of the suitcases or our slightly-oversized cabin luggage. The seats were comfortable

A lady sitting in front of us was travelling alone with her twins, who were something like four months old. Apparently she had booked her flight just before the children were born, and paid an additional six hundred pounds to ensure she had the seat/s with a bassinette. Which she didn't get. I guess that's a buyer be aware situation.

Since our return, I've looked at flights occasionally.

If I actually booked 3 weeks ago, when I first decided to go to France with my daughter, the cheapest flights were $199 each way LAX to Paris. I procrastinated.....I needed some approvals etc.

But our $1600 incl taxes/luggage return trip for both of us (not each of us) is acceptable.

Verdict: Recommended.

vikingsail Feb 14th 2018 10:01 pm

Some good prices out of LAX this week $618 r/t to London.

BenK91 Feb 14th 2018 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 12442195)
Some good prices out of LAX this week $618 r/t to London.

I'm signed up to Google flight alerts, some fantastic deals for us for a round trip from Denver to LGW keep finding their way into my inbox.

Wasn't planning on going back again this year but may have to if prices stay this good!

petitefrancaise Feb 17th 2018 5:22 am

My daughter has just booked a return in August for $570. Bargain. From Austin direct to LGW. BA would be $1300.

At that price, she could buy clothes and leave them at LGW and still be ahead.