Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

anyone with the same dreams

anyone with the same dreams

Old Dec 15th 2006, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all
Default anyone with the same dreams

Ive hit a dead end in life at the moment im 32 with girlfreind 30 we both feel the same.We have had the big house the nice holidays the nice car ect. We both work 40hrs each(for what). I just look around manchester and think is this it ..is this life!!. We have just sent off for 136 visa so proberly 6-9 months wait we are off to perth hopefully!!.We was both in australia last xmas and loved it there we both chose perth as we really enjoyed it there and its easier for me for work.ie dnt need license!!
my question for people is did anyone feel the same before you went abroad and not turn out as planned ect
It would be easier to put this in the other forum but i would like to here both sides
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:10 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone with the same dreams

Originally Posted by chippie74
Ive hit a dead end in life at the moment im 32 with girlfreind 30 we both feel the same.We have had the big house the nice holidays the nice car ect. We both work 40hrs each(for what). I just look around manchester and think is this it ..is this life!!. We have just sent off for 136 visa so proberly 6-9 months wait we are off to perth hopefully!!.We was both in australia last xmas and loved it there we both chose perth as we really enjoyed it there and its easier for me for work.ie dnt need license!!
my question for people is did anyone feel the same before you went abroad and not turn out as planned ect
It would be easier to put this in the other forum but i would like to here both sides
Hi there - I think that you will find most people were/are in a similar frame of mind to yourself. We are in our 40s and had worked hard all our lives, lived in the same town and wanted to live the dream. It hasn't worked out for us for a number of reasons - we have teenagers who couldn't settle here and hubby earns far less here than in the UK (bricky). Things are not as cheap here as the agents in the UK make them out to be.

It is completely different living in a place to holidaying there, the systems are different, the people have a different outlook/humour, you will miss silly little things.

That said, I would certainly go for it if I were you, especially if you've been to Perth and loved it - you are still young and we only get one chance at life and its an experience. Is there any way you could keep your house in the UK and bring enough money with you to rent here while you see if you like it? I'm only asking because this is our one huge regret in all of this. I wish now that we had rented our UK property out as when we go back, we will have to start all over again because of the money we've lost.

Hope it works out for you
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:30 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Hi there - I think that you will find most people were/are in a similar frame of mind to yourself. We are in our 40s and had worked hard all our lives, lived in the same town and wanted to live the dream. It hasn't worked out for us for a number of reasons - we have teenagers who couldn't settle here and hubby earns far less here than in the UK (bricky). Things are not as cheap here as the agents in the UK make them out to be.

It is completely different living in a place to holidaying there, the systems are different, the people have a different outlook/humour, you will miss silly little things.

That said, I would certainly go for it if I were you, especially if you've been to Perth and loved it - you are still young and we only get one chance at life and its an experience. Is there any way you could keep your house in the UK and bring enough money with you to rent here while you see if you like it? I'm only asking because this is our one huge regret in all of this. I wish now that we had rented our UK property out as when we go back, we will have to start all over again because of the money we've lost.

Hope it works out for you
Hi Chippie74

I agree with everything LouiseD has said, especially the bit about the house as we too sold up here and regret that dearly. We moved to Spain and our stories are very similar in that we too are in our 40's and have children who could not settle, schooling in particular was awful for our youngest child.

It is wonderful for those people who have moved and settled and love it, I wish that was our story but it isn't. We have come back after 11 months and wish everyday that we never went as we have lost so much financially. Yes go for it, you only have the two of you which will make it so much easier and as everyone has said to us at least we gave it a go and would have spent the rest of our lives wondering 'what if'. BUT, if you can rent out your house here I would suggest you do that then IF it did not work out then your house will still be there for you. People tell me it's only bricks and mortar, but it was our home.

Good luck and I really hope it works for you.

Sparkle
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

thanks for replys

We have proberly been a bit rash!! we are now in rented as we sold our house 5 weeks ago.Slowly we are selling thing off ready for the off( that if we are excepted) people i have spoke to said working in auss is less money than here in the uk money is not a reason for the change. We are proberly lucky that we have no children for this new start
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for replys

We are proberly lucky that we have no children for this new start
Your in the ideal postion to emigrate, your young, youve visited and liked it, financially OK, commitment (child) free. If you get sick of it after a while you probably can just go back or move on.

The complications seem to arise in situations where people have not visited, and worse still may have built it up to be what its not, have teenage kids who often dont like it, financial concerns where the families assets will be used up by selling up and setting up again or V close family in the UK. Plus some just get sick of it after a while.

Do it now before you get those possible concerns.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

hi chippie
of course we all had the same dreams!!!! no one in their right mind would go the other side of the world without some hope!
Bet a lot of us on this forum (myself included) couldnt possibly understand when back in blighty, reading about people who were unhappy in oz and wanting to come home. Before i came to oz, i heard of others not coping and thought there must be something wrong with them ....because that couldnt happen to me (could it!! ) And here i am , a ping pong back in Blighty because I couldnt settle.
I met a very dear friend who's the most well travelled person i know at the weekend. When I was completely bonkers in Oz she flew out to visit me. Now back, I asked her what did i do wrong? She said "Sweetie, you were so well prepared, so organised, you'd planned for every eventuality (including not liking the first couple of years) but what you couldnt plan for or control is how you would FEEL. She thinks these unexpected feelings totally overwhelmed me, having a knock on effect on everything else.
So should you go, chippie? OF COURSE YOU SHOULD!!!!! have a ball! The Australia forum prooves many (most) become very successful/happy with their new life.
having no children will be easier too, no grandparent pressure or need for your kids to be part of their extended family.
And you certainly sound like you can see things from both sides, so wont change into a "Im all right Jack Godzone" Some people slag us off for being unsettled/unhappy - i can never understand that. They should be empathetic - and grateful its not them.
So get packing, enjoy those goodbye parties and consider this a new adventure. Never regret anything, whatever the outcome you will be a better, richer person for it.
Now, be off with you
good luck!
c
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, you have nothing to lose. Do your research so your not arriving with false expectations. Accept that it wont be like being on holiday. Trying to settle down roots is not easy. However you would be mad not to do it, your young with no dependants and it will certainly be an experience of a lifetime. Only time will tell if the country is for you however as your not enjoying England its an ideal time in your life to experience new which will ultimately give you either a new appreciation of your home or a new future somewhere new.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:59 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

hi there Chippie74 ,

no one can say what will work for you and until you try you cannot know what is right .I always wince when people say we're of to perth it's the most isolated city on earth (don't start Godzoners it is ) I am also 40+ I came to Aust as a child I returned to the UK for 7yrs have been back in Aust for 15mths and I regret ever getting on the plane . It sounded like a good Idea at the time but for us it just wasn't .Don't get me wrong I don't have half the troubles some do but it's just not home .I used to love holidays in Europe now I travel for the same 3hrs to still be in the same state with the same boring fair language and attitudes and culture if you can call it that . for a holiday Aust is great, for a life choice I wouldn't recommend it .if you are bent on doing this I agree with the other posters don't sell your whole life in the UK to do it .The brigade of aust is the only place on earth will give you a load of ,if you going to do it then go all in or not at all ,well I ask you this would you cash your entire worth to put it on the spin of the roulette wheel it's the same gamble prudent planning demands you build in an escape plan I didn't and to my cost I have about 2yrs before I can leave
what ever you decide all the best and if you need help with anything just ask there's a wealth of experience and knowledge here
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:04 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: anyone with the same dreams

Do it. My move to Aus was driven largely by a desire to get out of a bit of a rut I felt I'd gotten in to. It was exactly what I needed. I'm back in the Uk now, and although this sounds a bit poncy, it's given me a totally different perspective, and I'm really happy and content here now. It didn't turn out as planned because Aus is so boring, insular and so far up it's own backside it's unreal. If you go there and like Aus, then great, you've hit the jackpot. If you don't, do what I did - move back to anywhere in the UK you fancy, blow off the cobwebs and start again. It's very liberating.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it. The worst that can happen is you hate the place, but as everybody else has said, you are in the perfect position in life to take the gamble that moving to Australia really is. If it works out for you here then that's brilliant and if not you go home to England, and hopefully with a whole different perspective on what England has to offer.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:46 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Do it. My move to Aus was driven largely by a desire to get out of a bit of a rut I felt I'd gotten in to. It was exactly what I needed. I'm back in the Uk now, and although this sounds a bit poncy, it's given me a totally different perspective, and I'm really happy and content here now. It didn't turn out as planned because Aus is so boring, insular and so far up it's own backside it's unreal. If you go there and like Aus, then great, you've hit the jackpot. If you don't, do what I did - move back to anywhere in the UK you fancy, blow off the cobwebs and start again. It's very liberating.

Good luck.
Nice post Eric - gives us some hope of starting over again
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in Perth 8 months and came with the same dreams as you, except we have 3 kids. Is it working out for us?? yes and no. We are still settling in (this can take years) kids find Perth boring but are learning to adjust. It's getting hotter now which is good, but beware... in winter it is so cold you will be in shock!!! Yes house prices are ridiculous, but if that doesn't worry you then fine. We also came on holiday first and loved it, but since living here i can honestly say i wish we hadn't come.
But i would say give it a go as you never know, you may love it here. If you like the beaches and surf then your laughing.
Hope it all works out good for you both
Old Dec 16th 2006, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Good luck.
This post is spot on.good one Eric!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:39 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck.
Totally agree. We were exactly the same; we'd hit a time in our lives where we thought "is this our lot?" so we changed it.
What you've got to suss out is just what are you prepared to gamble on this adventure? It might work, it might not.

For your sake, I hope it does.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Totally agree. We were exactly the same; we'd hit a time in our lives where we thought "is this our lot?" so we changed it.
What you've got to suss out is just what are you prepared to gamble on this adventure? It might work, it might not.

For your sake, I hope it does.
thanks all to your replys !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.