Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

anyone on here work for car rental company??

anyone on here work for car rental company??

Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:03 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone on here work for car rental company??

Originally Posted by Michael
I have Allstate Insurance on own car and I was told by Allstate that my car insurance policy would automatically cover any European car rental with the same coverage as my car.
They lied to you .......
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Is it specifically written as thus in the policy?
Either they gave me incorrect information or they changed the policy since I asked about 8 years ago.

Also, most U.S. auto insurers don't extend their coverage to policyholders when they drive overseas. Allstate, for example, will cover policyholders no matter where they're driving in the U.S., including U.S. possessions and territories, as well as in Canada. But it provides only limited coverage if you cross the border into Mexico. If you're an Allstate customer and rent a car in Europe, you're on your own.

http://moneycradle.com/Things_to_che...n_a_rental_car
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:30 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Either they gave me incorrect information or they changed the policy since I asked about 8 years ago.

Also, most U.S. auto insurers don't extend their coverage to policyholders when they drive overseas. Allstate, for example, will cover policyholders no matter where they're driving in the U.S., including U.S. possessions and territories, as well as in Canada. But it provides only limited coverage if you cross the border into Mexico. If you're an Allstate customer and rent a car in Europe, you're on your own.

http://moneycradle.com/Things_to_che...n_a_rental_car
most auto policies are the same.......

State Farm dropped coverage within the 50 miles of Mexico to align themselves more with the policies of Geico and Pregressive....
I suspect allstate are the same to a degree, they're all much of a muchness to be honest.

Personal Umbrella policies do usually extend liability car insurance to the limits of the umbrella worldwide however.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Also from the previous link. From that link it appears that the credit card coverage will cover the rental whether you have primary insurance or not since I think the law requires the rental company to carry libability. However, if that is not the case, the $25 American Express coverage seems to cover everything.

Most major credit card companies automatically provide this coverage to their cardholders if they waive the rental company's coverage and use their credit card to reserve a car and pay for the rental.

Visa's credit cards provide coverage that will pay to repair or replace the car if it is stolen or damaged in an accident. That's precisely what you get when you buy the collision damage waiver at the car rental counter, but the protection provided by your credit card company is free.

Of course, the Visa coverage has limits too. It covers rentals for up to 15 days, but is rescinded if you violate the car rental agreement or take the car off-road. It also doesn't apply if you're renting an exotic, antique or luxury car, such as a Jaguar, Aston Martin or Bentley, or if you're renting a truck or a van.

Not surprisingly, rival MasterCard offers similar coverage.

Generally, credit card programs do cover you when renting a car overseas, but not in every country. Visa excludes coverage in Israel, Jamaica and Ireland. American Express and MasterCard exclude Australia, New Zealand and Italy too.

Coverage on credit cards is generally secondary to your own insurance, kicking in only if you don't have comprehensive or collision coverage on your own car, or if your coverage proves to be inadequate.

For people who have no other auto insurance coverage, American Express offers primary coverage for $25 for those who want to rent for longer stretches or rent an otherwise excluded vehicle. That can be much cheaper than the rental company's coverage, which can cost $15 a day. On a monthlong rental, the American Express coverage would save you a cool $425.

The only time that paying a premium rate for the rental company's collision coverage might make sense is when you have neither auto insurance nor a credit card that will keep you covered. To find out whether your credit card provides coverage and what it includes, call the toll-free number listed on the back of the card.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It appears that car rentals in the US have minimum level of liability required by state law included in the basic car rental price and a car rented in Europe have third party liability included in the basic car rental price.

For the US

Credit cards, on the other hand, do not cover liability

Liability Insurance
This provides excess liability coverage of up to $1 million for the time you rent a car. Rental companies are required by law to provide the minimum level of liability insurance required by your state. Generally, this does not offer enough protection in a serious accident. If you have adequate liability coverage on your car or an umbrella policy on your home/auto, you may consider forgoing this additional insurance. It generally costs about $7 to $9 a day. If you don't own a car, and rent cars often, consider purchasing a non-owner liability policy. This costs approximately $200 - $300 per year. Frequent car renters sometimes find this more cost-effective than constantly paying for the extra liability coverage.

For Europe

Does your rate include INSURANCE? What INSURANCES are included in the price?

Basic rates include third party liability and collision and theft insurance with a deductible. Renters may opt to pay for CDW (collision damage waiver) and/or TP/TLW (theft protection/theft loss waiver), which reduces the applicable deductibles. Your credit card may cover the original deductible for either collision insurance, theft insurance, or both, allowing you to decline the additional per day waivers for CDW and/or TP/TLW. We recommend you verify any/all coverage with your credit card company BEFORE you place an order and go on your trip.

Inclusive rates in countries like Italy, and others, usually include the CDW (collision damage waiver) and/or TP or TLW (theft protections or theft loss waiver) with a reduced deductible that can sometimes be reduced to zero by exercising an option to purchase additional "Super" CDW or "Super "TLW." Our e-mail quote to you should explain what's included in the rate and what options you may have at the time of delivery. You can also confirm details with one of our agents on the phone.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
thankyou peoples ... excellent stuff.

I shall now go forward and book the next car OH will undoubtedly smash up ...
You sound a very brave woman - perhaps you should rent "his and her" cars

Sounds safer...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:58 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
You sound a very brave woman - perhaps you should rent "his and her" cars

Sounds safer...
or even his and hers holidays ,..... now thats an idea
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

just wondered if anyone works for a car rental company in the US? we're booking a car for a trip to Florida in Oct and need advice on a few things.

ta very much luvvlies
I work in the pricing/yield dept for one of the major car rental companies. In the US 'LDW' or Loss Damage Waiver covers you for damage or theft of the vehicle. There is no deductible/excess. LIS or Liability Insurance Supplement covers you usually upto $1m for legal claims in case you get sued. 3rd party insurances is always standard and is included in your base rate. They usually offer PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) as well which insures you personally in case of an accident and personal items as well.

In Europe LDW is split into two coverages - CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) for accident damage and TP (Theft Protection). There is nearly always a deductible/excess on these in Europe which differs by car group. If you want these always book a packaged rate that includes them in the price. If you book the basic exclusive rate and then add the insurances on at the counter at full price you will always pay a lot more. Most companies don't show these insurance inclusive rates on their websites (as most US customers don't think they need the insurance) so call the Res center instead and ask for an inclusive rate.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by THFC1
I work in the pricing/yield dept for one of the major car rental companies. In the US 'LDW' or Loss Damage Waiver covers you for damage or theft of the vehicle. There is no deductible/excess. LIS or Liability Insurance Supplement covers you usually upto $1m for legal claims in case you get sued. 3rd party insurances is always standard and is included in your base rate. They usually offer PAI (Personal Accident Insurance) as well which insures you personally in case of an accident and personal items as well.

In Europe LDW is split into two coverages - CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) for accident damage and TP (Theft Protection). There is nearly always a deductible/excess on these in Europe which differs by car group. If you want these always book a packaged rate that includes them in the price. If you book the basic exclusive rate and then add the insurances on at the counter at full price you will always pay a lot more. Most companies don't show these insurance inclusive rates on their websites (as most US customers don't think they need the insurance) so call the Res center instead and ask for an inclusive rate.

thanks v.much for that - everything I wanted to know

cheers

oh - by the way, does $645 for 14 days, one way drop off for a Dodge Durango inc. CDW sound like a good deal?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:51 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

cheers

oh - by the way, does $645 for 14 days, one way drop off for a Dodge Durango inc. CDW sound like a good deal?
The price always differs by location and date. If you let me know the locations that you are picking the car up and dropping it off along with the dates I will let you know. You should also look out for what he total price will be. Most companies will quote you the base price initially and then the full price later (with all taxes and fees - which can add up).
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

THFC1 will become famous soon enoughTHFC1 will become famous soon enough

cheers

That last post was me - didn't realise I was logged in as my Mrs!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

cheers

Which Company I.M. The only reason for saying that is if its Dollar at MCO(Orlando) join the Dollar Express on their web site.Put in all your details after you booked your car and you get a card sent to you giving your access to their Express lane at the airport.We went straight to the counter, where there were twenty plus waiting at the normnal counter.Saved about 1 hour at least, all for filling out your drivers licence details on line.It costs nothing to join it aswell.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

member of AAA type thing? because they get you a discount with hertz or enterprise, can't remember which...
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by hayley82
The price always differs by location and date. If you let me know the locations that you are picking the car up and dropping it off along with the dates I will let you know. You should also look out for what he total price will be. Most companies will quote you the base price initially and then the full price later (with all taxes and fees - which can add up).
Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Which Company I.M. The only reason for saying that is if its Dollar at MCO(Orlando) join the Dollar Express on their web site.Put in all your details after you booked your car and you get a card sent to you giving your access to their Express lane at the airport.We went straight to the counter, where there were twenty plus waiting at the normnal counter.Saved about 1 hour at least, all for filling out your drivers licence details on line.It costs nothing to join it aswell.

well I've gone and booked the one I quoted above - its with carhire 3000 so dont know which actual company it deals with but thats the total price with taxes, fees, one way drop off, insurance and GPS - I thought that was a great price compared to anything else I could find. Expedia was over $1000 for the same thing!!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:00 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

well I've gone and booked the one I quoted above - its with carhire 3000 so dont know which actual company it deals with but thats the total price with taxes, fees, one way drop off, insurance and GPS - I thought that was a great price compared to anything else I could find. Expedia was over $1000 for the same thing!!
Good and bad reviews
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews89413.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.