Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anybody out there in Tampa Fl

Anybody out there in Tampa Fl

Old Apr 8th 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

donna_m is just really nicedonna_m is just really nicedonna_m is just really nicedonna_m is just really nicedonna_m is just really nicedonna_m is just really nicedonna_m is just really nicedonna_m is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody out there in Tampa Fl

In Port Richey here
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

CHIC60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone
Just wanted your views on the Gulf Coast for retirement. We are not at that stage yet but thinking of moving from UK to warmer climes such as Florida when the time comes. What is life like for the over 60's in FL. I know that healthcare is a big issue but apart from that....
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHIC60
Hi Everyone
Just wanted your views on the Gulf Coast for retirement. We are not at that stage yet but thinking of moving from UK to warmer climes such as Florida when the time comes. What is life like for the over 60's in FL. I know that healthcare is a big issue but apart from that....
Personally, for retirement, I'd say you are probably better off somewhere else in the EU (Cyprus, Spain, etc). Reasons being

- in the EU you'll be able to stay as long as you like; in FL, the best you'd be able to do would be a 6 month Visa.
- costs are less in the EU, especially when you start looking at the mentioned medical issue, which I'd suggest is not merely just "a big issue" as you put it, but potentially a prohibitive one.
- There's a large Brit expat population in the warmer EU countries, who all share the same values. If you retire in Florida on your tourist visa, you'll find not so many people share the same values and people will be coming and going all the time. In the EU, this would be less so. Please don't make the mistake of thinking the US would be better because of the common language....despite that, values are much more different here than they are in EU countries.
- In the EU, it's much quicker, easier and cheaper to get back to the UK for a visit, and to have people come and visit you.
- Hurricane potential in Florida, especially an issue if you are going to be forced to leave your property vacant for 6 months of the year.
- Property taxes for non residents in Florida can potentially be crippling and should the economy ever get booming again, for non-residents they skyrocket in such times.

Now that all said, if you will be extremely rich in retirement, Florida/the US could quite possibly work out well - but if that's not the case, I'd say go EU.

EDIT - Just seen your last post where you say you are dual UK/US citizen. in that case, some of the above is mitigated; however, if your life to this point has been predominantly in the UK in terms of what you'll have come pension time, I'd still say EU side is your best bet. If, in the past, you have worked enough in the US to qualify for social security etc, US side is more of a viable option.

Last edited by Dan725; Jul 28th 2009 at 1:06 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

CHIC60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. Could you elaborate on the difference in values that you mentioned.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CHIC60
Thank you for your thoughts and advice. Could you elaborate on the difference in values that you mentioned.
The biggest difference in my opinion and looking from a retirement perspective, is that Europe has the framework in place to finally put your feet up and relax.....or if you don't like relaxing, at least do what you want to do, when you want. Either as a result of that framework, or in addition to it, nearly all Europeans think like that.

In the US, people are more prepared to work to the grave (or, even, work into one). The sad thing is, in a lot of cases, it is absolutely necessary, and it is in most cases brought on by extreme medical expenses.

This work work work mentality filters through to everything. People socialize less, because they are too busy working. People are much more focused on themselves and their own little lives. This sometimes leads to an impression of people being out for themselves, in a way you don't find in Europe. This leads into a political mindset which is very tricky for your average European to understand (i.e. far right republicans), and as such, you might find you have very little in common with some people.

Europeans think alike. We are all used to living closer together; our cities are compact, people walk around, they interact with each other on a daily basis. In the US, it's much more fend for yourself first; and if you've got any time left, worry about other people later. The spreadoutness and cities designed around cars feeds into that; as does a mobile population, living away from extended family, etc etc etc.

It's actually tricky to put a real fine point on it, but basically, in Europe, you can basically just "gel" with other European people. I have a very good German friend over here in the US, and it is quite obvious we share the same values. While some Americans do also, there are a lot that can't understand it.

I'm pointing out extremities here; and sure, people do retire here and seem to enjoy it. But if you don't have any financial and medical history here, that will be a major stumbling block - and the other thing will be that you might find that even in retirement, it just will seem busier here - everyone is on a schedule, got to get here, got to get there, so on and so forth. I'd sooner put my feet up by the beach in my expat community in Spain/Cyprus/France/wherever, relax with other like minded people, and not worry about some unforeseen medical emergency wrecking my retirement.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:20 am
Just Joined

thewanderingbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed. I'm in St Pete, on Gandy. I'd love to know whether anyone here plans on having a gathering in the near future. Would be nice to get together with some people who can talk properly and enjoy quality humour.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in St Pete...a nice part.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:37 pm
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thewanderingbrit
Indeed. I'm in St Pete, on Gandy. I'd love to know whether anyone here plans on having a gathering in the near future. Would be nice to get together with some people who can talk properly and enjoy quality humour.
Would you want to do a get together? What kind? Pub? Food?