Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Any real stuff you've missed?

Any real stuff you've missed?

Old Sep 27th 2014, 11:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any real stuff you've missed?

Not talking the food and stuff...but what about friend/family weddings or births, real things that matter?

Missed a good mates wedding a couple years ago and another mates first kid last year and seeing his first birthday pics this week has kind of hit home a bit, that no matter how much you might chew the fat on FB and keep in touch, you're not are you.

It's weird, I've missed quite a few friends weddings and a couple of births, but seeing the birthday pics this time around, well it's the first time in a long time that things have bothered me a bit.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any real stuff you've missed?

Missed my niece's wedding this past Spring.
Probably miss my godson's next Spring.

When family have commented that it's a shame we couldn't make it I commented that we could if they'd had the wedding at a time we could come over.

I support Mrs H. in not taking time away from her teacher job at a crucial time for her students.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I did miss my brothers wedding but it was his second and a civil ceremony so not too much of a disappointment.

My main concerns now after having lived here almost 16 years are that my parents are in their mid to late seventies and its that time when they have begun to develop chronic conditions. I wish I was closer.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot

I support Mrs H. in not taking time away from her teacher job at a crucial time for her students.
Does she have any kind of commitment to her husband? teachers jobs and students are everywhere. You obviously want out. Who wears the skirt in your relationship
Old Sep 28th 2014, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Nah..I was too busy too. We do go over in the summer but an extra trip, the time, the cost...However since it was a wedding I offered to take the missus and fortunately she declined.

We do both want out of the US though if that's what you mean...but that's my business holding us back.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Births & weddings have all happened in the UK as far as our family and friends go, unfortunately its funerals that will be coming up.

But on the bright side we have the weddings and hopefully the birth of grandchildren in the future to look forward too here. No facebook photos required
Old Sep 28th 2014, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Missed uncle and aunt's wedding in 2007, we had plane tickets and all to go over, then we discovered my sister (6 mos old at the time) was being diagnosed with epilepsy and agenesis of the corpus callosum. So we couldn't go. At the time I was 8 years old, so I didn't quite understand. I had been looking forward to going to Malta again all school year and then we couldn't go. So naturally as an 8 year old I was livid.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 2:24 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

2 funerals, 2 weddings and another next year, 4 births, and of course everyones birthdays, anniversaries, christmases. That's just they way it goes, we can't possibly afford flights for 3 plus car hire and spending money for every event. On the other hand I don't think anyone from home would fly over here for us either. It doesn't really get to me though, my family is here and we are happy being here and that's what matters to us - makes me sound heartless
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
But on the bright side we have the weddings and hopefully the birth of grandchildren in the future to look forward too here. No facebook photos required

Sounds good, but kids have a habit of doing their own thing when they grow up an your future grandkids could be living anywhere in the world.

#facebook #skye
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:14 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Sounds good, but kids have a habit of doing their own thing when they grow up an your future grandkids could be living anywhere in the world.

#facebook #skye
Aw Hell No, if the dude thinks he's moving away after college he's got another thing coming - we'll stalk him in our RV, he's our meal ticket
Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:57 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

3 weddings (I've been timing my trips over to try and catch 1 wedding a year), birth of my friends kids and a funeral.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 11:01 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
2 funerals, 2 weddings and another next year, 4 births, and of course everyones birthdays, anniversaries, christmases. That's just they way it goes, we can't possibly afford flights for 3 plus car hire and spending money for every event. On the other hand I don't think anyone from home would fly over here for us either. It doesn't really get to me though, my family is here and we are happy being here and that's what matters to us - makes me sound heartless
Same here really. It does feel odd, as the rest of the family are all close to each other and involved in each others daily lives, so its very obvious, when visiting, that you are outside looking in. Just the way it is.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
my family is here and we are happy being here and that's what matters to us - makes me sound heartless
Same here really. Although I have been back for my parents funerals, and a wedding.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I missed my mum's 60th, my great aunt's 80th, my dad's 70th.

I missed a few weddings I suppose, but I don't give a **** about weddings, barely cared about my own . Births too. Not my children, big deal.

While I was unable to get over for my great aunt and my uncle's funeral, I did, at least make it over for my mothers. That's more important that a bunch of silly white dresses and dirty nappies, IMO.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

I missed one of my best friends wedding which is a big deal because since I got married 11 years ago none of my close friends have got married until her (and and she has since had a son). Missed countless big birthdays, thankfully no funerals.

I am really bothered by the fact that I missed the Olympics and the Queens diamond jubilee celebrations - 2 momentous occasions that seem to have brought the Brits together and fostered a little more patriotism than we usually care to show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.