Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Any expats in Indianapolis

Any expats in Indianapolis

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Helen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really nice
Default Re: Any expats in Indianapolis

Neither company. I am unemployed! Actually I am still waiting for my work permit so I can get a SSN.

I moved over to be with my husband who is from Indy. He lived in UK for few years but we decided to move here as house prices were way out of our league in England. We are in castleton now.

Thanks for the offer of advice. Do you have a cell phone that you use to take calls or texts from the uk at all?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:13 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen A
Neither company. I am unemployed! Actually I am still waiting for my work permit so I can get a SSN.

I moved over to be with my husband who is from Indy. He lived in UK for few years but we decided to move here as house prices were way out of our league in England. We are in castleton now.

Thanks for the offer of advice. Do you have a cell phone that you use to take calls or texts from the uk at all?
i call the uk on my cingular cell (at&t) thats 8c per min to a mobile in the uk with the world something package at $3ish / month - It's alot cheaper to call a UK landine (4c / min??). Texts cost? don't know, probably standard???

I had to pay a $500 deposit though! :curse:

Know what u mean about house prices!!! We are living in what would be a mansion back home, it cost about the uk average house price!

Good luck with the job hunting when you get your paperwork sorted - hope you love it here, it really is a fantastic place to live
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katy1234
I know Hampshire well, I have family in Lymington, Sway and Christchurch
Spooky!

Didn't think I'd ever here those places mentioned on an 'Indiana Thread'.

I used to live in Totton, Hampshire - now in Terre Haute, IN. Anyone know of it? I've not met any other British people here - ever! (well Davy Jones of the Monkees but he was on a stage so doesn't really count....)

I'm prob gonna be in Indy this Sat (9 Aug 08). Will be going to see some bands at the Melody Inn (3826 N Illinois St - anyone been there?)

Anyone recommend any pubs to check out during the daytime?

Cheers. 'TimberHut'
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Helen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really niceHelen A is just really nice

I went to the Melody Inn to see a friend's band, Its a cool place; small, dark and dingy. Probably best to drink quite a lot during the day before you go. The night I was there most people were off their face drunk and breaking glasses etc!

Just don't go to The Rock Bottom in Indy, they refused to serve me as I didn't have Indiana issued ID. Even though my UK drivers licence clearly states I am years older than the 10 american people I went in with. I think we just had a dumb server but he went and checked with the manager and the manager still wouldn't accept it. They lost out on a lot of custom from us that night. Silly people.

I like the Claddagh, it's trying to be an Irish pub. They serve good drinks. Gillians is fun if you like playing arcade games and pool. The Alcatraz is good if you like trying different beers.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Those are all right down town, which is a taxi ride from the Melody. Don't know any bars right by it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Bluebuttonmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Is this thread still alive?

In November I am moving to Fort Wayne. I think I only saw one other person in FW!

Cheers,
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:02 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluebuttonmoon
Hi,

Is this thread still alive?

In November I am moving to Fort Wayne. I think I only saw one other person in FW!

Cheers,
That would be me!
Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Bluebuttonmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks, I will.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

TMac is an unknown quantity at this point

In case someone misses the other post, here's a link to the British Expats in Indiana group on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...6329445&ref=nf

Fancy a pint and bit of banter? Join the group and find out when our meetups occur and join us!
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

Hi !!

I'm actually in Cincinnati but I'll be in Indianapolis next week and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what to see there?

Museums and art galleries work for me but i just thought I'd try and pick up some local knowledge ...

Ta,

Paul
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:40 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Art Museum is on Michigan road heading out of the city north - never been though.
State Museum is on the canal, great place to walk, then there is the zoo if the weather is nice.
quite abit to see and do in indy!