Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Any airline engineers out there?

Any airline engineers out there?

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any airline engineers out there?

I cannot believe that airlines have not come up with a better solution themselves for seating for toddlers. It's like pretending they don't exist.

There have been a spate of products launched to help toddlers sleep in economy class seats and it looks like the airlines are not happy about them.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

How in hell's name they can quote safety when the alternative is to have an unrestrained toddler wandering around the aisles absolutely defeats me.

So, I'm going to get on to my airbus contacts ( one of whom is a materials engineer and was lead engineer on the design team for the outer skin of the A380) to see if she can push anything in front of the right people.

And no, most of us cannot afford to travel business class with kids.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any airline engineers out there?

Well if it saves one life, best to ban them.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
How in hell's name they can quote safety when the alternative is to have an unrestrained toddler wandering around the aisles...
With respect, the safety alterative is to not have an unrestrained toddler at all. FWIW, I don't think that anyone under 12 should even be allowed on an airplane... but I imagine that's not going to go over too well.

Ian
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, the safety alterative is to not have an unrestrained toddler at all. FWIW, I don't think that anyone under 12 should even be allowed on an airplane... but I imagine that's not going to go over too well. ....
12 might be a bit extreme, but I agree with the principle.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If in a window seat and not blocking other seat's, I don't see why these things would be an issue, although I can see them becoming an issue if they are in the middle or aisle seat potentially creating a hazard for someone in the event of an emergency evacuation.

Can the toddler use these items and still have their seat belt on?
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe that airlines have not come up with a better solution themselves for seating for toddlers. It's like pretending they don't exist.

There have been a spate of products launched to help toddlers sleep in economy class seats and it looks like the airlines are not happy about them. ....
The problem with such contraptions is that depending on where they are installed they will obstruct other passengers trying to exit the plane in an emergency. Remember that an aeroplane has to be capable of being evacuated entirely, 100%, in IIRC 90 seconds, using the doors on only one side of the aircraft, therefore any such bed contraption installed in the centre bank of seats will actually prevent other passengers from exiting the aircraft in a one-side emergency, e.g. an engine fire, such as happened ..... yesterday!
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If in a window seat and not blocking other seat's, I don't see why these things would be an issue, although I can see them becoming an issue if they are in the middle or aisle seat potentially creating a hazard for someone in the event of an emergency evacuation. ....
I think a window seat is the only seat that those things wouldn't obstruct another seat.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

And no, most of us cannot afford to travel business class with kids.
Thank goodness....... after an excruciating economy flight last week where several toddlers had the run of the plane (parents just ignored the bouncing around, the shouts and squeals and their noisy electronic gadgets), I'm saving to be able to fly business class to get away from the 'little darlings'
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Thank goodness....... after an excruciating economy flight last week where several toddlers had the run of the plane (parents just ignored the bouncing around, the shouts and squeals and their noisy electronic gadgets), I'm saving to be able to fly business class to get away from the 'little darlings'
I have to say it is normally quite peaceful up front
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, the safety alterative is to not have an unrestrained toddler at all. FWIW, I don't think that anyone under 12 should even be allowed on an airplane... but I imagine that's not going to go over too well.

Ian
Originally Posted by Pulaski
12 might be a bit extreme, but I agree with the principle.
They should stick them in the hold with the cats and dogs. At least the pets would have company.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I have to say it is normally quite peaceful up front
Can't wait to join you ........
Old Jul 4th 2017, 12:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
They should stick them in the hold with the cats and dogs. At least the pets would have company.
Crates may be a more obvious solution. Or Mothers Little Helper.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see an issue with these devices, provided they are only used in flight, and stowed for takeoff and landing. They are no different to the skycots BA use at the bulkhead seats.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I'm saving to be able to fly business class to get away from the 'little darlings'
Whereas I'm saving for my private jet so I don't have to deal with anyone. 20 years working in aviation has given me a deep dislike of the flying public!!!!

Last edited by markonline1; Jul 4th 2017 at 2:47 am.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you fly a US airline, they HAVE to allow you to use an approved child restraint. THey are even required to move other passengers if necessary. The only condition is that you have to purchase a seat for the child. I'm sure the Australian CAA has similar rules.

https://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

However they cannot be fitted in a place where they impede the exit of passengers.

If an approved CRS, for which a ticket has been purchased, does not fit in a particular seat on the aircraft, the airline is responsible for accommodating the CRS in another seat in the same class of service.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by markonline1
.... 20 years working in aviation has given me a deep dislike of the flying public!!!!
Why did it take you so long? I doubt I have flown more than 50 times in my entire life and I very soon developed a dislike of most of my fellow passengers!
Old Jul 4th 2017, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why did it take you so long? I doubt I have flown more than 50 times in my entire life and I very soon developed a dislike of most of my fellow passengers!
Ha! No, my dislike borders on the almost unhealthy! I used to love getting to the airport. It's where my holiday used to start. Now I hate it. Full of twats asking the same stupid questions, all refusing to follow even the most basic of instructions. I'm getting angry just writting about it LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.