British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Another small step to becoming more American. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/another-small-step-becoming-more-american-946944/)

kimilseung Feb 1st 2023 3:13 am

Another small step to becoming more American.

Hot tenting!
I've bought my first hot tent and stove.
Now I am not saying no one in the UK hot tents, but it diesnt really have the cold winters and hunting traditions to make it anything other than a niche novelty activity. I enjoy winter camping and a few years ago I made my first step in to Americanized outdoorsness, by rigging up a pulk (a pulled sled) so I dont have to haul a backpack in the snow. I can bring in more more stuff with less effort. but I've gone even more American with the hot tent set up. For those not in the know, its a wood burning stove with a long chimney, and the tent has a stove jack, a piece of heat resistant material to allow the hot chimney to go through the tent. The stove is a bit heavy, I have ordered a titanium one from Alibaba, so we will wait and see what arrives and if its the bargain it appears to be or not.
The danger of course is that this is the gateway drug, or slippery slope to hunting. So what have been your steps in to Americana?

spouse of scouse Feb 1st 2023 3:53 am

Re: Another small step to becoming more American.

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 13169743)
Hot tenting!
Now I am not saying no one in the UK hot tents, but it diesnt really have the cold winters and hunting traditions to make it anything other than a niche novelty activity. I enjoy winter camping and a few years ago I made my first step in to Americanized outdoorsness, by rigging up a pulk (a pulled sled) so I dont have to haul a backpack in the snow. I can bring in more more stuff with less effort. but I've gone even more American with the hot tent set up. For those not in the know, its a wood burning stove with a long chimney, and the tent has a stove jack, a piece of heat resistant material to allow the hot chimney to go through the tent. The stove is a bit heavy, I have ordered a titanium one from Alibaba, so we will wait and see what arrives and if its the bargain it appears to be or not.
The danger of course is that this is the gateway drug, or slippery slope to hunting. So what have been your steps in to Americana?

No steps in to Americana (obvs), but that set-up sounds great. Now I need to find out if there's such a thing as cold tents.

Lion in Winter Feb 1st 2023 7:30 am

Hot tenting!

When OH lived in the PNW (before becoming my OH) he got really, really into camping year round. He never started hunting, other 5han fish for breakfast, so you are probably safe there, but he did gather a huge collection of camping and bushcrafting kit of all kinds. He never did the hot tenting, but did all kinds of things with fires and tarps and hammocks to stay warm in winter. He also has titanium cooking stoves, and about a million ways to start a fire and build a shelter in an emergency or otherwise.

Former Lancastrian Feb 1st 2023 9:09 am

Hash browns on a full English breakfast, controversial or not? As I live in Canada then am I allowed to use the term North American and no I don't pour maple syrup over the hash browns as that is reserved for the pancakes (hotcakes) that come with the breakfast. Of course trying to find some decent black pudding or asking for fried bread can be challenging.

BristolUK Feb 1st 2023 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13169748)
No steps in to Americana (obvs), but that set-up sounds great. Now I need to find out if there's such a thing as cold tents.

There used to be in days gone by but they are now past tents.
:rofl: :rofl:

:getcoat:

BristolUK Feb 1st 2023 3:15 pm

So what have been your steps in to Americana?

Saying elevator and sidewalk without thinking about it. :o

Pulaski Feb 1st 2023 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13169914)

Those, and saying "toh-may-tow", were things I adopted immediately in my new home. :) It took a couple of years to realize that I needed to say "ledduce", and "wadder" to be consistently understood.

But my first step, even before getting on the airplane, ;) was to place an order for a Mustang GT. :D

I have not slept under canvas since I was a child, and I don't see that changing, whether or not the tent is "hot", and I really don't aspire to RVing (nor does Mrs P), but I have indulged my second ammendment rights a little. :o

Nutmegger Feb 1st 2023 6:27 pm

So what have been your steps in to Americana?

My pickup truck was probably the tipping point! I have maintained my usual pronunciation of everything except process, which for reasons unknown automatically comes out as proh-cess rather than proe-cess now, but if I'm spelling a word out loud I will say zee rather than zed. (And I did say "rowter" instead of "rooter" when talking tech with my BIL the other day, but that was an anomaly!)

Lion in Winter Feb 1st 2023 6:29 pm

Getting into the car to go somewhere a mile or less away :o

Of course that's all in the past now, for me. On the days I go into the London office I walk about 6 miles in total.

Pulaski Feb 1st 2023 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13169979)
Getting into the car to go somewhere a mile or less away. ....

You know you've truly been assimilated when you move your car as you go between shops built around the same parking lot! :rofl:

robtuck Feb 1st 2023 7:49 pm

Over the last couple of years our local City has been investing in walkable trails (for the most part this is code for having put a path in). There was a time when you would exit the Sub Division and be greeted by road and grass, but now I can walk all the way to my favourite pub - about 3 miles away - including a nice footpath over the Interstate. I have to admit to rather enjoying sitting at the bar drinking as opposed to taking it away and sitting at a table Plenty of roundabouts now as well - maybe there is some cross pollination happening.

Lion in Winter Feb 1st 2023 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13169984)
You know you've truly been assimilated when you move your car as you go between shops built around the same parking lot! :rofl:

:lol:

As well as circling for 10 minutes to find a spot close in as opposed to parking on the far side of the lot and walking to the door.

BristolUK Feb 2nd 2023 12:12 am

What about cycling?

It has changed a bit over the years in my part of 'America' but until a few years ago there seemed a genuine belief that cycling was safer (and okay) against the traffic in the same way that where there was no footpath the advice was to walk against traffic.

robin1234 Feb 2nd 2023 7:23 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13169914)

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13169941)
Those, and saying "toh-may-tow", were things I adopted immediately in my new home. :) It took a couple of years to realize that I needed to say "ledduce", and "wadder" to be consistently understood.

One I use all the time is “I’m good.” As in, “will you have some more mashed potato?” “No thanks! I’m good.”

Here’s one that’s completely involuntary, if I’m in a shop in England, accidentally get in someone’s way or whatever, I’ll say “excuse me.” I think in England people say “sorry.”

I went to Library School in the US, and only ever worked in a library in the US. In England, I had never worked with computers or done anything remotely IT related. So, all my academic, IT, and professional library vocabulary, terminology & pronunciation is US rather than British. For instance, I say “call number” not “class mark” for the number on the spine of a library book. My son had the opposite experience, went to library school in the UK, worked in British libraries for years, then moved to California and had to adapt to US library culture.

robin1234 Feb 2nd 2023 7:39 am

My clothing choices are pretty much US-centric. Mostly Carhartt, with a side-order of LL Bean, and ball-cap with the public radio logo, etc. So, I got to England a month ago, and quickly realised I needed a pair of jeans, since I’d forgotten I didn’t have any here (I just carry a small backpack when I travel from US to UK.)

Well, I went in to Norwich and visited M&S, Next, Primark, Sports Direct and several other places and realized that blue jeans in England are a very different animal than blue jeans in the US. Not just jeans, but all clothing. And I guess I’m actually more of an American than I thought ..

John Lewis own brand are good, but still not quite Carhartt.