Ancestry DNA

Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Ancestry DNA

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Aiiieee! Thank you! Good luck with your insurance in future; well worth finding out you're 1% Iroquois, 2 parts Scandinavian and a pinch of nutmeg.
Sometimes tin-foilers can be broken clocks twice a day and correct most of the time.
I'm with Octang on this one - shock! horror! - particularly in the light of law enforcement use of such DNA databases. All very troubling.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 8:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm with Octang on this one - shock! horror! - particularly in the light of law enforcement use of such DNA databases. All very troubling.
Why? I think that is a good thing. Would be at all surprised if DNA is collected from all residents some time in the future.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 8:49 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Rete...
Let me guess, if you've done nothing wrong, you shouldn't have anything to hide, right?
You know you unknowingly commit several felonies a day?

I can't comprehend how you could possibly think that having a global DNA registry wouldn't be abused? Just on basic principle, why would you voluntarily *ever* give your personal information to another party - either government or corporate? It *never* ends well.
Data gets abused every time, whether it's Facebook, insurance companies, the government. Have we learned nothing from what is currently going on?

Have you been following what's going in positively dystopian China? They are working on a network of 600 million facial recognition cameras, as part of their "social credit score" system.
Chinese journalist banned from buying property, flying, using trains, putting his kids in private schools because he offended someone.

China Assigns Every Citizen A ‘Social Credit Score’ « CBS New York

It gets so wearisome that people just willingly give up their rights to the state.
If you're that foolish, you'll get what you deserve. And then some.

Watching the Alfie Evans thing unfold was just repugnant, for two reasons.
1. The state owns the child, and dictates what the parents can and cannot do. Abhorrent.
2. The classism and hatred displayed by people to Liverpudlians. It's Hillsborough all over. Shudder.

I don't wish any ill fortune on you Rete, but I'll aver you won't be thinking it's such a good idea when you can't get coverage in three or five years time.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:00 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Is there not a fundamental philosophical and legal principle that we're all innocent until proven guilty?

By having our DNA harvested by the state, we are essentially saying we're all criminals - either currently, or soon-to-be. As a liberty loving person, how can you not see that is arse-backwards? That we're all suspects and probable offenders.

The state does not obey the law. Despite being legally compelled to remove the mugshots of millions of innocent people, the UK police won't do it because "it's too expensive". Try that excuse next time you have a parking or speeding ticket.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8310896.html
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Is there not a fundamental philosophical and legal principle that we're all innocent until proven guilty?

By having our DNA harvested by the state, we are essentially saying we're all criminals - either currently, or soon-to-be. As a liberty loving person, how can you not see that is arse-backwards? That we're all suspects and probable offenders.

The state does not obey the law. Despite being legally compelled to remove the mugshots of millions of innocent people, the UK police won't do it because "it's too expensive". Try that excuse next time you have a parking or speeding ticket.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8310896.html
The UK also used to keep DNA samples of anyone arrested, regardless of whether they were charged or convicted. They changed that policy in 2012 to delete such DNA. In a way, being able to access these "public" DNA databases is a potential end-run around those restrictions.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:13 pm
Peace onion

Rete, philosophical question for you (not singling you out; others feel free to chime in).

Do you think it's better that 10 guilty men go free, than one innocent man is wrongly convicted?
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Rete, philosophical question for you (not singling you out; others feel free to chime in).

Do you think it's better that 10 guilty men go free, than one innocent man is wrongly convicted?
Blackstone's ratio.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:15 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The UK also used to keep DNA samples of anyone arrested, regardless of whether they were charged or convicted. They changed that policy in 2012 to delete such DNA. In a way, being able to access these "public" DNA databases is a potential end-run around those restrictions.
Is there any evidence they actually complied and deleted the DNA?
I don't think they did. I read one journalist's attempt to get his DNA deleted.
There was no process, and he eventually had to just trust some policeman who told them it was deleted. There was no proof.

Looks like they didn't comply. As if I were surprised...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...er-admits.html

Last edited by Octang Frye; Apr 30th 2018 at 9:18 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is there any evidence they actually complied and deleted the DNA?
I don't think they did. I read one journalist's attempt to get his DNA deleted.
There was no process, and he eventually had to just trust some policeman who told them it was deleted. There was no proof.

Looks like they didn't comply. As if I were surprised...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...er-admits.html
2011 article.. would be useful to get more contemporaneous information as to what is actually the current situation.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:54 pm
Peace onion

I found something.

United Kingdom - FDNAPI Wiki

"The UK’s Coalition Government adopted the Protection of Freedoms Act on 1st of May 2012, which came in to force at the end of October 2013. The DNA profiles and fingerprints of more than 1.7 million innocent people and children have been removed from police databases and more than 7.7 million DNA samples have also been destroyed."

It doesn't say when.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Back to the Golden State Killer... there will presumably be legal challenges to the DNA evidence collected from that "public" DNA database. Going to be interesting to see how that plays out.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 10:28 pm
Peace onion

Unreasonable search and seizure? Probably cause?

I initially thought they went through his trash and got a tissue or something like that. The specific words used were "discarded DNA".
Old May 1st 2018, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

AIUI the police uploaded the suspect's DNA, collected from the original investigation, to a genealogical site and then used the matches they received to fairly distant relatives of the suspect to narrow down their search.

This doesn't seem very different to me from cases where they police have been able to make partial DNA matches to arrested other suspects' DNA which tell them that their suspect is a relative of the other suspects and allows them to narrow down their searches.

I really don't see what the objection could be to this.
Old May 2nd 2018, 8:16 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Unreasonable search and seizure? Probably cause?

I initially thought they went through his trash and got a tissue or something like that. The specific words used were "discarded DNA".
I just had a quick look through news articles, and I don't think there's any additional specific information on this aspect yet. So I'm assuming hair, Kleenex, toenail clippings or similar...
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The specific words used were "discarded DNA".
Sounds like a fancy euphemism for having a wank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.