Ancestry DNA

Old May 23rd 2018, 10:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ancestry DNA

Originally Posted by BEVS
Husband did one also and was very surprised to see that he has a good % of Irish in his dna. This is quite a specific dna group and to date I have not found the ancestor(s) that might have generated this. Mind you he always thought his Dad's side of the family were Welsh and they were not. On the borders maybe but not Welsh. His Mum's side on the other hand does have one chap from Wales . This may be where the Irish dna comes in if I can dig further back.
But how do you tell the difference between Irish and Welsh DNA? I remember some study being done in Ireland because someone thought to check if there was a genetic difference between Catholics and Protestants, because supposedly Protestants have a more English background and there wasn't any difference.
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:41 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
My FIL recently found a cousin he didn't know about using one of those DNA matching sites. His mother was adopted so almost nothing was known about her biological family, it seems that each of the children in her family was adopted by different families in different states, so there may be more cousins yet to come.
I've got a better one than that, friend of mine found out she had a half-sister because her half-sister did a degree in Microbiology and took DNA samples from her parents and found out her father was not her biological father. So she confronted her mother who admitted her father might be my friend's father! So she looked them up and that's how my friend found out about her half-sister.

And they have literally nothing in common even slightly and live in totally different parts of the country, I always laugh when people say: "Oh he/she gets it from her father/mother". Well maybe by socialization you do.
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
But how do you tell the difference between Irish and Welsh DNA? I remember some study being done in Ireland because someone thought to check if there was a genetic difference between Catholics and Protestants, because supposedly Protestants have a more English background and there wasn't any difference.
It’s the common markers. The more you share with a given population, the higher percentage of your DNA is likely to originate from that area. It’s not a precise science, the ranges given can be very wide, but as time goes on and more people take the same test, the larger the dataset and the more accurate your result becomes.
Old May 23rd 2018, 10:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

But how do you tell the difference between Irish and Welsh DNA?
You don't. It is the Irish dna markers that are considered unique to the group.
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute

Well i'm impressed that my test results pinpointed 50% of my DNA to southern England and in particular East Anglia where i was born and my Mothers from and the other half German/French and Irish/celtic exactly where my American Fathers Grandparents hailed from. Oh, and i completed both ancestery.com and 23and me tests with almost the same results! I'm hoping that my elderly Father sends his 'spit test' off that i've just sent him to see his results.
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

My problem with these tests is the Ancestry ad on the TV where the guy says, "oh I thought I was German but it turns out I was Scottish". Well how on Earth can you tell the difference between German and Scottish DNA?
German DNA is Maltese Cross shaped and Scottish DNA is 100 proof.

But how do you tell the difference between Irish and Welsh DNA?
One reeks of Guinness, the other of sheep.

HTH
Old Aug 31st 2018, 3:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

AncestryDNA are in the process of rolling out their latest dataset. It's not available to everyone yet but there's a browser hack you can use to force the system to show you your new percentages as text. I've found it to be far more accurate than before and all the small odd percentages have dropped away for me. I'm now listed as 76% Anglo-Saxon, 23% Celtic and 1% Cameroon/Congo which is spot on as far as my family tree goes.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
AncestryDNA are in the process of rolling out their latest dataset. It's not available to everyone yet but there's a browser hack you can use to force the system to show you your new percentages as text. I've found it to be far more accurate than before and all the small odd percentages have dropped away for me. I'm now listed as 76% Anglo-Saxon, 23% Celtic and 1% Cameroon/Congo which is spot on as far as my family tree goes.
Can you share the hack to get it? I'm still seeing the old style.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by rpjs
Can you share the hack to get it? I'm still seeing the old style.
Click on the 'DNA Story' link so you get the ethnicity map. In the URL there will be a long serial number. Copy and paste that into another browser window as part of the below URL replacing the XXX.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/origin...city?version=4

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 1st 2018 at 1:46 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Click on the 'DNA Story' link so you get the ethnicity map. In the URL there will be a long serial number. Copy and paste that into another browser window as part of the below URL replacing the XXX.
Thank you!
Old Sep 4th 2018, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my results back from ancestory DNA. With last name of Miller never sure if English or German. Results showed 80% UK with most arriving early 1700’s and going to Kentucky and Tennessee.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
Thank you!
What did you get?

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I just got my results back from ancestory DNA. With last name of Miller never sure if English or German. Results showed 80% UK with most arriving early 1700’s and going to Kentucky and Tennessee.
Did you try the browser hack above?