Ancestry DNA

Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Ancestry DNA

Originally Posted by Anian
My wife did a DNA test. There were rumours in her family that there was a native American Indian a few generations back. She does have a lot of the physical characteristics so it would make sense. Results came back with 100% European. There was an unexpected Italian trace that would align with that generation though. Now we all wonder if there was a swarthy Italian guy passing himself off as an Indian all those years ago.
She could still have a Native American relative. I don't want to go too much into it because it'll bore you to tears if it's not something you're interested in but although we inherit 50% of our DNA from our mother and father, it's a random 50%, which is itself composed of a random 50% they themselves inherited from their parents. Any Native American DNA markers may simply not have been passed on to her parents, but an uncle/aunt or great uncle/aunt may have got them. DNA is weird, as evidenced by my wife a little further down.

Predictably, my test came back as follows:

99% European:

71% Great Britain
22% Ireland

Trace:
4% Europe West
1% Scandinavia
1% European Jewish

1% West Asia:

Trace:
1% Caucasus (listed as: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey)

I have a 'genetic community' of the Scots in Ulster and central Scotland (obviously), which now apparently has been expanded to include Nova Scotia for some reason, after rechecking my results

My wife's was about as predictable as mine. I don't remember her exact numbers but she came back 100% European with a breakdown vaguely like this:

59% Great Britain
12% Ireland
12% Scandinavia
7% Europe East
6% Iberian Peninsula
2% Finland/Russia
1% Europe West
<1% Nigeria

She had no genetic communities, but what was weird was that she only showed 1% Europe West, even though we know for a fact, as we've seen birth certificates and census results, that her great, great (possibly one more great) grandfather was born in Germany and her dad's line can be traced back to 1498 all in the Schleswig-Holstein region. The Scandinavian will have part of it as for a time that was in Denmark, I suppose, but she came back mostly Great Britain, while her dad's mum came back 72% Europe West. That's when she did the research and found out about how your 50% from each parent is random and you won't always match your grandparents' regional DNA, though Ancestry verified that her grandmother is, in fact, a direct relative.

Our son had the most interesting 'pie chart' though, as being part Mexican, he had 23% Native American DNA, along with his European and a smattering of North African, Nigerian and Senegalese trace regions. His genetic community was the "Mexicans in Durango and Chihuahua", which matches exactly where his paternal grandmother was from.

We got a set for my dad, for him to take when he comes out to visit in the summer, just to get a bit more of a picture of where my DNA comes from.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I agree with you worth looking into the subject of DNA testing more, my question is how specific it really is.
See Leslie's post above, that is the general type of info you get. There is other stuff besides, but nothing more specific.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
She had no genetic communities, but what was weird was that she only showed 1% Europe West, even though we know for a fact, as we've seen birth certificates and census results, that her great, great (possibly one more great) grandfather was born in Germany and her dad's line can be traced back to 1498 all in the Schleswig-Holstein region.
DNA doesn't care whose name is written in the father section of the birth certificate. My mum's friend found out that her dad wasn't her real dad after a blood test, but with both parents dead she has no idea what the circumstances were. Family tree says one thing, reality is often hushed up.

In my wife's case we are talking 4 generations back, which mean 1/16 of genetic markers are expected from this guy. I don't know how many they use, so while it is possible she got none it is less likely with more markers.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

DNA doesn't care whose name is written in the father section of the birth certificate. My mum's friend found out that her dad wasn't her real dad after a blood test, but with both parents dead she has no idea what the circumstances were. Family tree says one thing, reality is often hushed up.
That is always a possibility, of course. So is finding out that you're related to your wife or something

In my wife's case we are talking 4 generations back, which mean 1/16 of genetic markers are expected from this guy. I don't know how many they use, so while it is possible she got none it is less likely with more markers.
It could still have been there. One of her great aunts or uncles (does that need another great?) could have received the Native American markers and passed that down their line, parallel to her line, which didn't get any.

Or, of course, they might have had no Native American relatives at all. She may never really get an answer to that one.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that Ancestory.com was originally started up by a couple of Mormon students and that most of the other genealogy websites (eg. Familysearch.org, Findagrave.com) were started up and are mainly owned and staffed by Mormons?

The reasons for this are twofold:

1: To make money - for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormon Chuch). They collect records of people at no cost to them, which is their business model.

2: (And this creeps me out): To entice people to share genealogical records so that the LDS church members can proxy-baptize the dead.

Mormons have some weird belief that they can baptize someone even if they have died, going back as many generations as they possibly can. If this is done they are retroactively granted admission into the Mormon afterlife, therefore lots of Mormons try to baptize their non-Mormon ancestors as Mormons.

OTOH the Mormons did start much of the database for genealogical research in the United States today and it seems they are spreading their net to other countries too. There is a history about Ancestry.com on Wikipedia (yes I know it’s not an authoritative source, but there is a lot of surprising info about Ancestry.com if you type it into their search engine).

So from what I’ve learned about Ancestry.com they’re not having my money! I have friends who are gay and due to the Mormons anti-gay stance they won’t have anything to do with these websites either.

Btw my son’s fiancée was adopted as a new born baby and was born in Mexico. She tells me that she has absolutely no interest in trying to trace her parents even though she has had some health problems (I suspect that the biological parents may have been quite poor and she was raised by affluent parents, so would prefer not to know her origins)
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 9:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Did you know that Ancestory.com was originally started up by a couple of Mormon students and that most of the other genealogy websites (eg. Familysearch.org, Findagrave.com) were started up and are mainly owned and staffed by Mormons?

The reasons for this are twofold:

1: To make money - for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka Mormon Chuch). They collect records of people at no cost to them, which is their business model.

2: (And this creeps me out): To entice people to share genealogical records so that the LDS church members can proxy-baptize the dead.

Mormons have some weird belief that they can baptize someone even if they have died, going back as many generations as they possibly can. If this is done they are retroactively granted admission into the Mormon afterlife, therefore lots of Mormons try to baptize their non-Mormon ancestors as Mormons.

OTOH the Mormons did start much of the database for genealogical research in the United States today and it seems they are spreading their net to other countries too. There is a history about Ancestry.com on Wikipedia (yes I know it’s not an authoritative source, but there is a lot of surprising info about Ancestry.com if you type it into their search engine).

So from what I’ve learned about Ancestry.com they’re not having my money! I have friends who are gay and due to the Mormons anti-gay stance they won’t have anything to do with these websites either.

Btw my son’s fiancée was adopted as a new born baby and was born in Mexico. She tells me that she has absolutely no interest in trying to trace her parents even though she has had some health problems (I suspect that the biological parents may have been quite poor and she was raised by affluent parents, so would prefer not to know her origins)
I assume most family history researchers know about the Mormon connection and I can see why some people would have scruples about giving them more money and influence in the field of genealogical research. They certainly don't have a monopoly, though. Findmypast.co.uk isn't connected to LDS (I don't think?) and for Britain, they have a better coverage of record sets than ancestry. Unfortunately, it's useful to have both. Partly because of errors and omissions in the transcribing and indexing of records, it's possible to find a record in the one but not the other.

Other religions take discovering and memorialising the ancestors very seriously, too. For those who have Jewish ancestors, or Jews in their family, Jewishgen is a superb resource. (It's free to use, too, although they do welcome paid memberships.)

I do think the LDS are owed a debt of gratitude for collecting, collating and making available all of the record sets that they have in their care. Parish records, BMD records, and many obscure data sets - some of which might have been lost if the LDS hadn't identified & copied them years ago.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 11:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
She could still have a Native American relative. I don't want to go too much into it because it'll bore you to tears if it's not something you're interested in but although we inherit 50% of our DNA from our mother and father, it's a random 50%, which is itself composed of a random 50% they themselves inherited from their parents. Any Native American DNA markers may simply not have been passed on to her parents, but an uncle/aunt or great uncle/aunt may have got them.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Not see much point in doing mine, I know I'm 100% a**hole and that there's a good chance most of my forebears were too.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 7:21 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Not see much point in doing mine, I know I'm 100% a**hole and that there's a good chance most of my forebears were too.
But surely it'd be worth $99 to get scientific confirmation of that
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:36 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by zzrmark
That sounds like one of those targeted Facebook ad T-Shirts
Old Jan 4th 2018, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
But surely it'd be worth $99 to get scientific confirmation of that
Actually both 23 and me and the Ancestry kits were on sale for $50.

I'm just amazed reading this thread at how many people (Americans and one Brit) who believe they have North American Native American ancestors.

As for the LSD, they can baptize me every day for the rest of their existence. It doesn't make me a member of their dysfunctional institution
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:00 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm just amazed reading this thread at how many people (Americans and one Brit) who believe they have North American Native American ancestors. :
Then there's my son, who has confirmed Native American ancestry because he's half Mexican on his biological father's side
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Rete
Actually both 23 and me and the Ancestry kits were on sale for $50.

I'm just amazed reading this thread at how many people (Americans and one Brit) who believe they have North American Native American ancestors.

As for the LSD, they can baptize me every day for the rest of their existence. It doesn't make me a member of their dysfunctional institution
Agree about LDS baptism. (LSD baptism sounds like it could have unpredictable results.)

As for our ancestors - in 1800, there were probably approximately 300 people around who were my direct ancestors. (Well, maybe 600 or 1,000, since at any one time two or three generations are living?) The chance of at least one of them being a Native American, or having Native American ancestry is probably substantial.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Take Jay Silverheels for instance. He was a Jew from NYC, so it's equal opportunity.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:07 pm
I have a comma problem

While I know I have no North American ancestry as I'm basically all Scottish, I'd still love to know why my genetic community was expanded to show Nova Scotia, unless that was just a common place for Scots to migrate to in the past.

Apparently it tells me I have a bunch of possible 3rd to 10th (or something) cousins floating around on the site as well, but I'm not sure just how related we all actually are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.