AMEX Credit card

Old May 18th 2015, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sinyor19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AMEX Credit card

Hi

After doing some research I just applied for the British Airways basic credit card. I know that when I move to the sates building credit is a slow start.

I know AMEX can transfer your card over to the states and im hoping this means I can start building credit sooner.

1) AMEX says the account needs to be open for 12 months prior. Anyone transferred the card earlier than that?

2) Anyone actually done the same as me and benefited from it?

Thanks
Levy
Old May 18th 2015, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jambodj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AMEX Credit card

Id be interested in this too, i have had my account for about a year and moving in August, would be interested to see how it can effect the credit score and if it is worth it....
Old May 18th 2015, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Well i know if its possible, its def better than waiting on a US bank CC. I moving towards end of year so will have to wait anyway till I complete the year. Nearer the time I will ask if they can move it earlier than 12 months..
Old May 18th 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

1. Yes. 2. Yes. Various threads if you search for it (assuming the website's search is working today).

It's not going to improve your score, well not directly. What it does give you is a line of reportable credit, thus getting over the chicken and egg situation of not being able to build credit due to no credit.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jambodj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Geoff!

Amex may be a good place to start then. [/threadhijack]
Old May 18th 2015, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent. Thanks very much. Will continue looking at forums.
Jambodj - best of luck. I did the no annual fee british airways card
Old May 18th 2015, 4:32 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I did it. I applied to AMEX over the phone in the UK and specifically said that I would be looking to move the account to the USA and I was moving there in 6 months. When I phoned AMEX USA to move my account over they said "and you've had the account 18 months" and I didn't argue. I can only presume that someone in AMEX did something with a date in the system.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:32 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sinyor19
Excellent. Thanks very much. Will continue looking at forums.
Jambodj - best of luck. I did the no annual fee british airways card
Just a word of caution - I'm not sure the ability to transfer applies to those partner cards.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:48 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Fatbrit wrote a great Wiki article on credit and AmEx transfer.

Be warned, I had an Amex card in the UK for approximately five years, never had any nonpayment issues. I thought I would be golden to transfer when I got here.

Unfortunately when I called Amex here to get a US card it was refused because the bank that issued the Amex card in the UK was MBNA... when I complained I was then informed that I was SOL and there was nothing they could do for me.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Just a word of caution - I'm not sure the ability to transfer applies to those partner cards.
You're right, though mine was a BA AMEX - obtained through AMEX itself rather than BA though, which I think is the difference.
Old May 18th 2015, 11:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
You're right, though mine was a BA AMEX - obtained through AMEX itself rather than BA though, which I think is the difference.
Don't think that can be it. Exactly the same card AFAIK.
Old May 19th 2015, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonrob
Don't think that can be it. Exactly the same card AFAIK.
I was referring more to the AMEX-issued part than the BA part. As username.exe has already pointed out (which I didn't see until just now), there is - or at least can be an issue depending on the, er, issuer.
Old May 19th 2015, 1:04 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I was referring more to the AMEX-issued part than the BA part. As username.exe has already pointed out (which I didn't see until just now), there is - or at least can be an issue depending on the, er, issuer.
Yes, there are non-AMEX-issued AMEXes. The BA card isn't one of them.
Old May 19th 2015, 1:19 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Yes, there are non-AMEX-issued AMEXes. The BA card isn't one of them.
FWIW mine was the Lufthansa Miles and More card.
Old May 19th 2015, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

I called AMEX and enquired about the BA card I had just got. They said its fine and I can transfer after a year. That Wiki article is very useful. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.