British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   The American's first UK visit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/americans-first-uk-visit-900584/)

dc koop Aug 17th 2017 6:28 am

Re: The American's first UK visit

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 12318432)
I seem to remember something about US service personnel not wanting to fight British soldiers because the latter head-butt - something Americans don't do.

Any ex- British forces members confirm?

I saw an Irish guy in a pub in Oxford head butt two USAF GIs he had gotten into an argument with. Neither of the GIs knew what had hit em.

dc koop Aug 17th 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by johnwoo (Post 12318451)
The RAF aren't as "macho man" as other branches, I never wore my uniform off base. A good night out didn't include getting into fights.

You were never around the Aussies then. They were mostly okay but when drunk liked to get something going with us Brits. It wasn't a question of being macho, just pushing back when being pushed

dc koop Aug 17th 2017 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12318315)
OK so that makes the British system the second to the worst!

What's wrong with the London Underground then? Short wait for trains, a couple of quick changes and across London in no time, same with the suburban train service. I wouldn't even bother trying to drive the British Motorways.... almost as bad as the mess we have to cope with in and around good old L.A

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 17th 2017 10:21 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12318557)
What's wrong with the London Underground then? Short wait for trains, a couple of quick changes and across London in no time, same with the suburban train service. I wouldn't even bother trying to drive the British Motorways.... almost as bad as the mess we have to cope with in and around good old L.A

Your original post referred to England.

dc koop Aug 17th 2017 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12318703)
Your original post referred to England.

I've had no trouble getting around anywhere in England or Scotland by train. Book on line, reserve seat and take train.

If you really have a gripe about the transport system you should have been around in the 1950s when the whole system was under the government and known as British Railways.... bloody horrible..... but more than likely that was considerably before your time.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 17th 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12318939)
I've had no trouble getting around anywhere in England or Scotland by train. Book on line, reserve seat and take train.

If you really have a gripe about the transport system you should have been around in the 1950s when the whole system was under the government and known as British Railways.... bloody horrible..... but more than likely that was considerably before your time.

If your departure / destination points happen to be on a line & yes I do, just about remember the '50s.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 17th 2017 4:42 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/o...apitalism.html

No further comment.

robin1234 Aug 17th 2017 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12318939)

I agree, the railway services are pretty good now. I'm not sure privatisation is what has improved it, though. If we still had British Rail under public ownership, it may have shown the same improvements or better.

One of the good things about online ticketing is finding out in advance about weekend engineering projects & other service disruptions in advance. Several times in recent years I've changed my plans because of service disruptions. Years ago you usually didn't find out until you'd already begun your journey.

dc koop Aug 17th 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Jack8602 (Post 12318357)
I've seen one bus in the 20 months I've been in Texas. She'll probably be surprised by the amount of buses kicking about :rofl:

Will she say "Yeah we only have a few buses back in Texas but they all five times bigger than your buses"

johnwoo Aug 18th 2017 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12318964)
If your departure / destination points happen to be on a line & yes I do, just about remember the '50s.

I use to travel regularly to Yorkshire on the Yorkshire Pullman late late 50s to mid 60s. A far better experience than the present Hull First trains.

My limited experience with modern UK rail travel I give it an "F" compared to France and Italy.
My last journey was plagued with problems from the 2 hr delay at Kings Cross to the ticket confusion to the transfer from First Class non stop, to a commuter train at Selby. Not to mention the inedible meals served.

scot47 Aug 18th 2017 4:35 am

The Rail System in Britain is the most expensive in Europe. the closures of the 1960s did not improve the network, Huge swathes of the country had their train services closed down.

Main beneficiaries of system now are the likes of the grinning millionaire Branson. He needs those super-profits to finance his ballooning projects.

dc koop Aug 18th 2017 5:10 am

I have bad memories of the Southern Region Railways from the 1950s/60s. The NUR and ASLEF always decided to start their leap frog type strikes in the dead of winter. Not so fond memories of shivering on cold damp winter evenings at Victoria and London Bridge wondering how long it would take me to get home or if I would even be lucky enough to get a train home.

Maybe because I've been away from the UK so long that I find the train service so much better, faster, cleaner much more comfortable.

When I first came to California in 1974 there was no train service in the L.A area. Just about everyone drove on the freeways. Poor people rode the buses which ran few and far between

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 18th 2017 8:42 am

Rail passengers face further misery this summer after train drivers on Southern Rail and the Gatwick Express voted to strike over pay.

Members of drivers’ union Aslef voted overwhelmingly for action on three days in the first week of August despite drivers being offered an improved pay deal worth up to £75,000 a year, including overtime.

Thousands who use the beleaguered train network and the the airport service face travel chaos at a time when many families will be attempting to travel on holiday.
This series of strikes have now earned their own Wikipedia entry.

dc koop Aug 18th 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12319386)
This series of strikes have now earned their own Wikipedia entry.

Bring back Thatcher !