Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The American's first UK visit

The American's first UK visit

Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American's first UK visit

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Sounds like we had the same old haunts. From Nottingham I went on the RAF Leconfield near Beverley, a regular in the Green Dragon.
yes, The green dragon is still there and doing well. Still a bit of a townies v squaddies split in the pubs in Beverley though, need to be a bit careful on Saturday nights.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
yes, The green dragon is still there and doing well. Still a bit of a townies v squaddies split in the pubs in Beverley though, need to be a bit careful on Saturday nights.
I was in the RAF, we avoided getting into fights. You had to have a higher level of intelligence to be in the RAF.
I was in the Green Dragon 2012, hadn't changed much, they had made one big room instead of the old public bar and snug.
Beverley is a town where I could easily live. I'm half following Beverley on Facebook, a fun group of people.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Take her for a cheeky Nandos!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:38 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I was in the RAF, we avoided getting into fights. You had to have a higher level of intelligence to be in the RAF.
I was in the Green Dragon 2012, hadn't changed much, they had made one big room instead of the old public bar and snug.
Beverley is a town where I could easily live. I'm half following Beverley on Facebook, a fun group of people.
You were right about the RAF requirement of "higher intelligence" When I passed the medical for National Service I was sent for service selection. I took the RAF entrance exam and failed it. I was marched downstairs to the Army selection officer and was assigned to the Artillery. I guess they had enough faith in me that I wouldn't end up pointing a howitzer in the wrong direction and blowing up our own chaps.

A year later in Malaya I was on leave with a group of pals at Penang, a popular R and R place for British Swaddies at the time.

We were In a bar knocking back the ale one evening when in walked six RAF chaps from RAF Penang also out for the evening. There were also a group of rowdy Aussie soldiers drinking at the bar all half pissed. They started to razz the RAF chaps hoping for a fight but the RAF didn't want a fight, words were exchanged, insults flew and the Aussies were all set to wade into them for a scrap anyway.

We Gunners decided to intervene when a couple of the Aussies started to call us Pommy Bastards. We took the Aussies on and the scrap ended in a draw with some black eyes and loose teeth on both sides. The Military Police arrived and hauled my group and the Aussies off to the MP Post and we all spent the night in cells. The happy ending of course was that your chaps all returned to their billets, safe. sound and unhurt. That's what Swaddies do, they keep the RAF out of harms way

Last edited by dc koop; Aug 16th 2017 at 4:52 am.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:09 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As she is Texan she might be horrified by the winding lanes in the countryside and how fast people drive along them.

She's probably going to be shocked by the small cars and the even smaller car parking spaces !
It's to be hoped that she wont start sounding off about "how cute y'all are and how small everything is compared to back home"

I married an American girl and thankfully she does not have a big mouth but there are a lot that do flap off at the mouth far and away too much
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
It's to be hoped that she wont start sounding off about "how cute y'all are and how small everything is compared to back home"

I married an American girl and thankfully she does not have a big mouth but there are a lot that do flap off at the mouth far and away too much
Let's face it, everything in England is small, especially the parking spaces. I married an American girl too, I avoid the potential problem by proactively slagging of Britain and the British much more resolutely than she ever would.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
Let's face it, everything in England is small, especially the parking spaces. I married an American girl too, I avoid the potential problem by proactively slagging of Britain and the British much more resolutely than she ever would.
Small parking places doth not a country make. The public transportation system in England is second to none. Getting around on buses or trains is a breeze. It makes such a great change from freakin freeways and daily gridlock. I speak this as a burned out southern California driver of many years standing.

My wife is very much an Anglophile. Her only negative comment was about the weather.

Last edited by dc koop; Aug 16th 2017 at 4:29 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 4:58 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Take her for a cheeky Nandos!
Already in the itinerary!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The public transportation system in England is second to none.
You're right, none worse!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Expatrick
You're right, none worse!
Compared to the transportation system in and around Los Angeles it's streets ahead.
It's very gradually improving but around 60 years too late already.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to the transportation system in and around Los Angeles it's streets ahead.
OK so that makes the British system the second to the worst!
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:20 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen one bus in the 20 months I've been in Texas. She'll probably be surprised by the amount of buses kicking about
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:20 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember something about US service personnel not wanting to fight British soldiers because the latter head-butt - something Americans don't do.

Any ex- British forces members confirm?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I seem to remember something about US service personnel not wanting to fight British soldiers because the latter head-butt - something Americans don't do.

Any ex- British forces members confirm?
My ex was ex-military, no head butting but she had an evil right hook...

Scousers, Mancunians and Glaswegians (amongst others) that I know seem to favour the 'glasgow kiss' or 'scottish handshake' although I believe it is now a popular pastime amongst the drunk thugs all over the UK.
Us Devonians are far more refined, with glassings and stabbings being the preferred modus operandi at a few of my old haunts, not the sort of places I'd take the average better half....
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

You were right about the RAF requirement of "higher intelligence" When I passed the medical for National Service I was sent for service selection. I took the RAF entrance exam and failed it. I was marched downstairs to the Army selection officer and was assigned to the Artillery. I guess they had enough faith in me that I wouldn't end up pointing a howitzer in the wrong direction and blowing up our own chaps.

A year later in Malaya I was on leave with a group of pals at Penang, a popular R and R place for British Swaddies at the time.

We were In a bar knocking back the ale one evening when in walked six RAF chaps from RAF Penang also out for the evening. There were also a group of rowdy Aussie soldiers drinking at the bar all half pissed. They started to razz the RAF chaps hoping for a fight but the RAF didn't want a fight, words were exchanged, insults flew and the Aussies were all set to wade into them for a scrap anyway.

We Gunners decided to intervene when a couple of the Aussies started to call us Pommy Bastards. We took the Aussies on and the scrap ended in a draw with some black eyes and loose teeth on both sides. The Military Police arrived and hauled my group and the Aussies off to the MP Post and we all spent the night in cells. The happy ending of course was that your chaps all returned to their billets, safe. sound and unhurt. That's what Swaddies do, they keep the RAF out of harms way
The RAF aren't as "macho man" as other branches, I never wore my uniform off base. A good night out didn't include getting into fights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.