Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words you HAVE adopted

American words you HAVE adopted

Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words you HAVE adopted

Originally Posted by toopie28
For some reason when I say thirty - they think I'm saying fifty???

So, I've adopted their version of saying it - thurdy.

Trust me, when someone asks how old you are and you say 39 - and then they reply with - WOW, you look good for 59 - it hurts...sniff
I have this problem yelling at my iPhone alarm - explains why I'm late at getting up sometimes!

Took my car for servicing recently. The garage chap was quite happy as I went on about the bonnet and the boot. He said they'd wash the car - I said great as it was a bit minging - he immediately fell (literally!) off his chair.

A friend did use the immortal 'the game's a bogey' phrase in a meeting. Puzzled silence from the Americans followed by snorts of laughter from the fellow Scots!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:25 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Caught myself saying literally far too often recently, at least I still say it with a t in rather than a d
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:32 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by N1cky
Caught myself saying literally far too often recently, at least I still say it with a t in rather than a d
We've kept out accents and as much Brit Speak as is feasible living outside a village (City) in rural Georgia. Sometimes (often) we hear ourselves saying locally used words and, phrases, just to avoid the inevitable "Do what now?"
I try not to say; "Please learn to understand and appreciate English when spoken by an English person" as this gets another "Do what now?" Another that gets to me is "Know what I'm saying?" to which I reply "Yes, English is my first language." That often brings out a "Do what now?"
A while ago, we had the son of a customer over for a long stay. Within a week, he was referring to his father as "Muh Daddy" and insisting on getting breakfast from McDonalds on the way to the office. Now he's in California and he now calls his father "Dude" which I find sad.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
We've kept out accents and as much Brit Speak as is feasible living outside a village (City) in rural Georgia. Sometimes (often) we hear ourselves saying locally used words and, phrases, just to avoid the inevitable "Do what now?"
I try not to say; "Please learn to understand and appreciate English when spoken by an English person" as this gets another "Do what now?" Another that gets to me is "Know what I'm saying?" to which I reply "Yes, English is my first language." That often brings out a "Do what now?"
A while ago, we had the son of a customer over for a long stay. Within a week, he was referring to his father as "Muh Daddy" and insisting on getting breakfast from McDonalds on the way to the office. Now he's in California and he now calls his father "Dude" which I find sad.
I imagine that was unintentional

Thanks, also, for reminding me how much I hate the expression "do what now"
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Ah no! "Do what now" is so cute, I just get them to repeat it a couple of times..
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This is not an Americanism, but I have taken to saying 'one' instead of 'you', it is so much more precise and clear. But at one time I hated the use of one in that context, I wanted to punch the face that said it.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Ah no! "Do what now" is so cute, I just get them to repeat a couple of times..
That may also be unintentional

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This is not an Americanism, but I have taken to saying 'one' instead of 'you', it is so much more precise and clear. But at one time I hated the use of one in that context, I wanted to punch the face that said it.
I say it all the time. One loves to create the effect that one is talking down to people.

Mainly because one is
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the expression 'go potty', especially when used by adults. What are you, two years old?

I also loathe 'sick', when used to describe something good, as in "man, that was sick". If something is good/fun/exciting/etc, why on earth liken it to something horrible like vomit?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
I hate the expression 'go potty', especially when used by adults. What are you, two years old?
Agreed, makes my flesh crawl.

I also loathe 'sick', when used to describe something good, as in "man, that was sick". If something is good/fun/exciting/etc, why on earth liken it to something horrible like vomit?
I think that's like 'bad', 'wicked' for something good.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is too fun!!! I'm going to read it until a quarter till 11
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:13 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Occasionally, when talking on the phone to someone 'back home' they will say that I sound like a "Yank" which considering where I live I find amusing.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 10:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...If something is good/fun/exciting/etc, why on earth liken it to something horrible like vomit?
Because also at times of disappear...making amends to the porcelain gods by upchucking the contents of a Irish potato crop yield can be both amazing, horrid and evil
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:09 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Occasionally, when talking on the phone to someone 'back home' they will say that I sound like a "Yank" which considering where I live I find amusing.
MMMMMMMMMmmmm, I heard that.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here 10 months and started to use 'zee', 'mall' & 'pro cess'.
Also, 'for here' or 'to go' in fast food places.

The one I really hate though, is when I actually said 'like' in the completely wrong context as in like, the other day!!! Noooooo !! It just kinda rubs off.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

ChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura aboutChelseaDagger has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
This thread is too fun!!! I'm going to read it until a quarter till 11
Shouldn't that be "quarter of 11"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.