Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by mamasue
Haven't read the whole thread so it may have been mentioned already...
the whole pocketbook/purse/wallet thing!
I keep my money in a purse....others keep theirs in a wallet inside their purse..
My purse lives in my handbag....
.Husband keeps his money in his pocketbook....I write in a pocketbook!!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

In a light hearted way I'm going to say why does it bother any of you?

You live in another country, people in other countries use different expressions and words, that's the way it is. Now you can carry on and use the words you want but your way or the other way.....people, it doesn't matter

love you all
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

You live in another country, people in other countries use different expressions and words, that's the way it is. Now you can carry on and use the words you want but your way or the other way.....people, it doesn't matter

love you all
Actually you are right!! My first name and surname has two Z's in them...noone understood me when I spelled it out as ZED...I said to hubby that im British and we say ZED...until he pointed out that im now in America and if he was in UK he would go with the flow and use the common language. I now use ZEE......I never thought it would be the hurdle it has been for me to use it! Crazy (with a zee ) really. Maybe its an identity thing which I didnt know about!!! He does look at me proudly tho whenever I use Americanisms!!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Actually you are right!! My first name and surname has two Z's in them...noone understood me when I spelled it out as ZED...I said to hubby that im British and we say ZED...until he pointed out that im now in America and if he was in UK he would go with the flow and use the common language. I now use ZEE......I never thought it would be the hurdle it has been for me to use it! Crazy (with a zee ) really. Maybe its an identity thing which I didnt know about!!! He does look at me proudly tho whenever I use Americanisms!!

....and that's what it is all about!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

love you all
Does it really bother people, or is it just a perennial interesting kind of thread? I notice that over on the UK Yankee forums, these same kind of threads also move along at a nice pace and bring up lots of interesting highways & byways of etymology and usage..

For instance American women in Britain seem to start grinding their teeth when their OHs say "biccies" instead of biscuits, and "prezzy" instead of present.. just to mention one example of thousands.. (HMM... I think it sounds stupid, too. Maybe I'm becoming an American???)
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Does it really bother people, or is it just a perennial interesting kind of thread? I notice that over on the UK Yankee forums, these same kind of threads also move along at a nice pace and bring up lots of interesting highways & byways of etymology and usage..

For instance American women in Britain seem to start grinding their teeth when their OHs say "biccies" instead of biscuits, and "prezzy" instead of present.. just to mention one example of thousands.. (HMM... I think it sounds stupid, too. Maybe I'm becoming an American???)
Exactly. I don't understand why people get uppity or so defensive about this type if discussion, it is a discussion board after all.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe we could start another thread for "UK words/expression you don't like" just to be fair Or perhaps we should leave that to the UK/Yankee forums.

I don't like those type of abbreviations/colloquialisms either, biccies, hossie etc they seem to be very popular in Australia too. I don't think I would say biccie in a verbal conversation but might write it, same for choccies.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Maybe we could start another thread for "UK words/expression you don't like" just to be fair Or perhaps we should leave that to the UK/Yankee forums.

I don't like those type of abbreviations/colloquialisms either, biccies, hossie etc they seem to be very popular in Australia too. I don't think I would say biccie in a verbal conversation but might write it, same for choccies.
Of course over here we have Nilla Wafers .. not sure if they are biccies, but it is a silly name.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Of course over here we have Nilla Wafers .. not sure if they are biccies, but it is a silly name.
I suppose they are a type of biccie, but a bit more spongy I get confused trying to use the American pronunciation for Graham Crackers, I just can't bring myself to say gram cracker.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:37 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Having been an Army wife and then a travel agent, I learned the phonetic alphabet which is pretty universal (well in Europe anyway) in some form or another, . The only one that seems to often stump people is to say Sierra (which is the official word) for S, so I'll say S as in Sam to bypass that.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:45 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, could be because it may, as written form often does come across as a criticism rather than an observation......... Since there's no way of "hearing" the way it's written or accompanying body language sometimes it's difficult to tell. Sometimes, the less said the better,

PS I personally don't care for tee tee as a bathroom euphenism.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
PS I personally don't care for tee tee as a bathroom euphenism.
Who the bloody hell says tee tee
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Toilet Tissue.. I think it derives from shopping list abbreviations. I certainly use it that way..
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Although, BR would be just as easy to write.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've never heard of tee tee before either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.