Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

The cashier said, "Have a day" to me today.

That makes a lot more sense
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:35 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

You may find that it was suggested selling; check your receipt, you may have been charged for that day.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:40 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

It was probably her own way of telling you that she didn't care a toss if it was nice, or not. She was thinking "I hope you have a shite day"

I went into a car rental office near the airport in Tampa not long ago, and the woman behind the counter said "Welcome to Tampa! Come on in!" It sounded so fake. Once I told her that I only wanted directions to another business that was supposed to be in the same complex, she seemed less welcoming... in fact she said "one of the guys outside might know" and started looking at her magazine again.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

The weatherman on our local tv station talks about "thunderboomers". Is this a real word? It sounds like he`s talking to 3 year olds!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
The weatherman on our local tv station talks about "thunderboomers". Is this a real word? It sounds like he`s talking to 3 year olds!
I imagine he's probably trying to be cool - but I'd hazard a guess he actually just comes across as a bit of a wanker, right?

If 'thunderboomers' is a real word, I might just do myself in.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
You may find that it was suggested selling; check your receipt, you may have been charged for that day.

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
It was probably her own way of telling you that she didn't care a toss if it was nice, or not. She was thinking "I hope you have a shite day"

I went into a car rental office near the airport in Tampa not long ago, and the woman behind the counter said "Welcome to Tampa! Come on in!" It sounded so fake. Once I told her that I only wanted directions to another business that was supposed to be in the same complex, she seemed less welcoming... in fact she said "one of the guys outside might know" and started looking at her magazine again.
We must seem so green to people over here, actually believing that people are pleased to see us/want to help
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:49 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I imagine he's probably trying to be cool - but I'd hazard a guess he actually just comes across as a bit of a wanker, right?

Run a bath and get the razorblade out... http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thunderboomer

I'll offer you a word that'll make you do yourelf in.. but if I tell you, you'll have to kill yourself. I don't want to leave your kids without a dad.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Run a bath and get the razorblade out... http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thunderboomer

I'll offer you a word that'll make you do yourelf in.. but if I tell you, you'll have to kill yourself. I don't want to leave your kids without a dad.
It can't be worse than 'irregardless' . . .
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

and now for the weather in Northern California. Today there is precipitation moving in from the west followed by a further band of heavy precipitation...""""

NO NO just say RAIN!!!!
Its going to hoy it down EVERY DAY like it did from March 16th when i arrived until mid June - including madness bloody precipitation on my wedding day!!!!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:56 pm

It can't be worse than 'irregardless' . . .
Oh it is..
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Oh God, I was hoping he`d made it up!
Isn`t the weather bad enough without "Playschool" words to describe it?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:00 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure when a word is considered 'real' or not, but a quick Google, indicates its not just him.

This should not in any way be viewed as me trying to encourage you to do yourself in, quite the contrary. Don't do it Sultan.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought boomers were kangaroos...this should actually be in the 'worst live performance ever' thread.

Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:02 pm

We must seem so green to people over here, actually believing that people are pleased to see us/want to help
As if they actually do? It's more of a WGAF?

A friend of mine told me that a customer of theirs complained because he had heard one of his staff say "I'm glad that tw@t's gone, he was a pain in the ass". Apparently the customer had stopped outside the open door to call someone on his mobile when he walked outside. Of course he then had to try and placate the customer, who subsequently phoned the corporate office to complain about the rudeness etc.. as if they cared about it too? I'm sure the person there got him off the phone as quickly as possible and said toi themself "WGAF?"
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:03 pm

I thought boomers were kangaroos...this should actually be in the 'worst live performance ever' thread.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gMWHhK9fwuc
I agree.. worst performance ever. Terrible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.