Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
As I said, it simply wouldn't interest me, they can think what they like and it will be part of their process of settling in. However, it seems that some on here see anyone not "lovin' it" as mentally ill.
My wife rips the piss out of me for talking 'Brit' all the time, and likewise I rip the piss out of some of her phrases.

Strangely neither of our noses are put out of joint. Oh well.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:57 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, it simply wouldn't interest me, they can think what they like and it will be part of their process of settling in. However, it seems that some on here see anyone not "lovin' it" as mentally ill.
They can think what they like, my mental illness was obviously apparent to everyone at home at the point in time that I actually decided to move over here. Everyone said I was mad to do it.. and I see now that they were right.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
They can think what they like, my mental illness was obviously apparent to everyone at home at the point in time that I actually decided to move over here. Everyone said I was mad to do it.. and I see now that they were right.
I didn't quite get that, but my dad did ask me why I couldn't have found a local bird to get married to

I still don't think he's fully come to terms with the fact that I left, even now
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

"Dr Pepper, what's the worst that can happen?"
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:06 pm
I have a comma problem

"Dr Pepper, what's the worst that can happen?"
You could drink it too quickly, it can go down the wrong pipe and you choke and die
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I didn't quite get that, but my dad did ask me why I couldn't have found a local bird to get married to

I still don't think he's fully come to terms with the fact that I left, even now
My parents (both now dead) hated & despised Americans .. my mother was a pan-Arabist who didn't like Jews very much. However, I think they would have been even more disdainful if I'd found a local girl to shack up with.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You could drink it too quickly, it can go down the wrong pipe and you choke and die

Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:16 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by robin1234
My parents (both now dead) hated & despised Americans .. my mother was a pan-Arabist who didn't like Jews very much. However, I think they would have been even more disdainful if I'd found a local girl to shack up with.
Bloody hell - you were screwed whichever way you went, weren't you
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:17 pm
I have a comma problem

Who thought that advert would actually make people want to buy Dr. Pepper?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:20 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

My parents didn't say anything because I'd been out of the country before. My mates were the ones that asked me "are you sure?".. but it wasn't really the same as your situation. I came here because of work, you came here because there wasn't a decent looking woman left in NI.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:21 pm

Did he say he married an American Jewish girl?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:22 pm

"Where are you at?" Drop the extra word.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:24 pm
I have a comma problem

My parents didn't say anything because I'd been out of the country before. My mates were the ones that asked me "are you sure?".. but it wasn't really the same as your situation. I came here because of work, you came here because there wasn't a decent looking woman left in NI.
I got a lot of that from my mates as well. Looking back, I was sure, but I definitely allowed how much I wanted to be with Michelle get in the way of being objective about where I wanted to actually live. Not a smart way of doing things.

There were plenty of good looking girls in NI - but none of them had eyesight quite as bad as SWMBO's

Did he say he married an American Jewish girl?
Hyperbolae, dear boy. You rather dampened the effect there
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:30 pm

I got a lot of that from my mates as well. Looking back, I was sure, but I definitely allowed how much I wanted to be with Michelle get in the way of being objective about where I wanted to actually live. Not a smart way of doing things.
We all do it for different reasons. I thought it would be a better opportunity, which to a point it was.. at the time. Now it seems like a bloody stupid decision, but it's an experience too and it won't be forever.

There were plenty of good looking girls in NI - but none of them had eyesight quite as bad as SWMBO's
I can relate to that.

Hyperbolae, dear boy. You rather dampened the effect there
Unintentionally! I wasn't sure if he'd mentioned it further back, and I haven't read all the thread.

Last edited by paranoidandroid; Sep 20th 2011 at 5:09 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, except in those days my only pleasure was yanking their chain!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.