Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American words/expressions you don't like

American words/expressions you don't like

Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: American words/expressions you don't like

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
Surely they only say that when referring to a non-event, such as american "football"?
Actually, it's pertinent and apropos to many, many situations. Sort of a "one-size-fits-all" kind of thing.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Ah, the emoticon queen actually speaks? So I get the honour of some actual words? Usually your reply "vocabulary" just consists of , to most posts.

You're right though, you don't think.. you'd need a brain to do that.

Could it be she uses pictures instead of words for those poor souls who have difficulty with the written word? I find that, for those who are so challenged, a simple "picture is worth a" complicated "thousand words".
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:01 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Could it be she uses pictures instead of words for those poor souls who have difficulty with the written word? I find that, for those who are so challenged, a simple "picture is worth a" complicated "thousand words".
To suggest that is to give credit where obviously none is due, you only have to look at every other post she makes. Anyway, she doesn't know a thousand words, let alone have the ability to string them all together intelligibly.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:02 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it's pertinent and apropos to many, many situations. Sort of a "one-size-fits-all" kind of thing.
It's ok, don't feel bad, we don't care a rat's arse about American "football", either.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Do the expressions 'who gives a rat's ass' and 'utterly rat-arsed' share a common root?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's ok, don't feel bad, we don't care a rat's arse about American "football", either.
What was that about...well, never mind. The least you could do, if you're going to use the phrase, is say it right! It's "give a rat's ass!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:20 pm

What was that about...well, never mind. The least you could do, if you're going to use the phrase, is say it right! It's "give a rat's ass!
The way it goes here, I'd be less than surprised if the saying was "I could give a rats arse". Which would make as little sense as "I could care less".
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

From a purely observational standpoint - one has to conclude that there are vast hordes of rat's arses being stored in homes all across America, given the propensity of various people to use that phrase.

Similarly, given a phrase I like to use to dismiss the riff-raff, one could assume I spend my days in a state of permanent constipation.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:08 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

All I can say is she used to be friends with Rupert Murdoch.. hence the invention of 'The Sun' and page 3
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So I get the honour ?

You're right .
It's your lucky day!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Do the expressions 'who gives a rat's ass' and 'utterly rat-arsed' share a common root?
I've always heard it "utterly rat-faced - consequently, I see no reason to assume a common root - unless you count the common rat, as donor of both body parts, that is.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:33 pm
I have a comma problem

I've always heard it "utterly rat-faced - consequently, I see no reason to assume a common root - unless you count the common rat, as donor of both body parts, that is.
'Twasn't important, I was just stirring the shit
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
It's your lucky day!
Hardly, you're still responding to me.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
'Twasn't important, I was just stirring the shit
Rat stirrer.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 3:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Rat stirrer.
Not sure about rat-stirrer, but according to the Oxford English Dictionary;

1967 American Speech 42 229 Rat-fĂșcker, a tool, usually made from a straight piece of metal coat hanger, approximately six to ten inches long, with a ninety degree bend two inches from each end, in such a manner that it ultimately has the shape of an old car crank handle.

Does anyone know what it is used for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.