Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

Old May 31st 2018, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

My parents have got a leaf vacuum that shreds the leaves and turns them into mulch - before he had his stroke my mum got a kick out of watching dad "hoovering the garden". (he'd never hoover in the house)

I can't understand why this is not more popular in the US - instead of blowing the leaves into a pile only for them to redistribute in the wind, remove altogether and turn them into something useful - the same machine turned round to suck instead of blow! (fnaar fnaar).
Old May 31st 2018, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

Originally Posted by yellowroom
My parents have got a leaf vacuum that shreds the leaves and turns them into mulch - before he had his stroke my mum got a kick out of watching dad "hoovering the garden". (he'd never hoover in the house)

I can't understand why this is not more popular in the US - instead of blowing the leaves into a pile only for them to redistribute in the wind, remove altogether and turn them into something useful - the same machine turned round to suck instead of blow! (fnaar fnaar).
Our county picks them up when we bag them in clear plastic bags or in paper bags. They are then taken to be opened and shredded and used as mulch where needed. I know in MA and in parts of NJ you just put the leaves at the curb (w/o bagging), wet them down so they don't blow away and the truck comes by once a week to suck them up.