Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

Old May 15th 2018, 4:39 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Battery powered lawnmowers are becoming more common here with the new better batteries. Still when you are cutting large yards of 1, 2 acre and even larger yards gas is the only way to go. At least until batteries get a lot better.
Ryobi have a decent electric riding mower the only issue is it's the same cost as some cheaper zero turn mowers and the cost of replacing the batteries means you'd have to mow a hell of a lot of grass before you can say it's cheaper than a gas powered machine.
Old May 15th 2018, 5:18 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Ryobi have a decent electric riding mower the only issue is it's the same cost as some cheaper zero turn mowers and the cost of replacing the batteries means you'd have to mow a hell of a lot of grass before you can say it's cheaper than a gas powered machine.
Our push battery/corded is Ryobi, very happy with it, also really like the idea that the Ryobi batteries are interchangeable across all their stuff. The odd thing is that the Ryobi ride-on doesn't appear to be available in Europe.

The only one I've found over here is Ride-on mowers BAHIA ELECTRIC Etesia mower
Old May 15th 2018, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Not the same thing, though is it? Quiet lawnmowers? There's nothing like being woken up at 7:15am on a Saturday by the sound of your earnest neighbor's lawnmower, drifting in through the window.
One of the advantages of living in a very urban area is that there's no grass to cut... of course, there are other disturbances to wake you like crazy people and, once in a while, gun shots.
Old May 15th 2018, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Surely in america you have robo mowers? Theres probably a ligical link with robot vacuum cleaners, but there is now growth in the use of robot mowing machines contained by sub surface wires or radio walls. Huskqvarna sell electric models and have a petrol variant on trial, so when they can stop them eating the cat or tortoise you can look foreward to the 2am petrol mower experience :-). Tripping over the robo vac at night is becomming common place.

Here, mowers cant cope with the very rocky and sometimes approaching vertical ground, stihl weed eaters rule and break windows...
I saw one of these robo mowers in Dolores Park in SF this week. Quite impressive. It was on a relatively steep slope and was managing to cut the grass just fine.
Old May 15th 2018, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My local council cuts grass on steep hills with remote control mowers, the low profile means they don't tip over like the ride-on types. Not sure if this is just the first stage before they go autonomous.
Old May 15th 2018, 6:34 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
One of the advantages of living in a very urban area is that there's no grass to cut... of course, there are other disturbances to wake you like crazy people and, once in a while, gun shots.
I lived for twelve years one block South of Colfax. Colfax is supposedly the longest street in the US. Anyway, it's famous for its "colour"; prostitutes, pimps, drug addicts, pan-handlers etc.
It's got a lot better and there's been a lot of gentrification (think what you will about that.) Anyway, my apartment was in a bit Victorian house with a porch (behind a fenced in garden) and I have
fenced-in deck out back, which was in the the alleyway behind the house.
A couple of times I had people come up into the kitchen from the alleyway, and take things from the house. Also occasionally would fine homeless people sleeping on the porch. It's freaky.
I used to leave bottled water for them and step over them, but that's probably not a good idea.

Anyway, having robots do everything seems a bit sad. I enjoyed being outside and doing some exercise. It makes sense for Rete's hubby etc.
But there's a pleasure to working outside and pottering about.
Old May 15th 2018, 7:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Right after we moved house when I was growing up, my dad borrowed a lawnmower from our new next-door neighbour and it was a petrol powered one. Honda, I think. This was in about 1989/1990, and though we got an electric mower shortly afterwards, up to the point we moved we only had a small yard and we had one of those manual push me-pull you ones that Eddie Izzard used to mention in his shows. Rechargeable battery operated ones would be decent, but the electric ones of old wouldn't really work out here, since most lots are at least a quarter acre and in our yard we'd need a 100' extension cord and who can be arsed with that shite?

I like the idea of a robotic mower though, I ****ing hate yard work, it's such a pain in the arse.
Old May 15th 2018, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We had an electric when I was around 12, but I ran over the cord and well it became not so useful, we never had an electric after that. We had 1/2 acre or so in total between front, back and side yards.

Best thing my dad ever did was rip out grass and plant climate appropriate landscaping....

I haven't seen many electric mowers in my parts, I am in an urban area but nearly every house has a small front yard with grass, most seem to use gas powered. The people who cut the grass in front of our building, 20 feet long by 4 feet wide use gas, they also use gas powered leaf blowers but there really are no leaves, most just seems to blow dust everywhere

No mowing before 8am though, but can't really hear the mowers on lawn day over all the traffic noise which is 24/7 so I don't care if a mower is noisy.

We also has a non-powered mower at once, not fun.
Old May 15th 2018, 8:30 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't recall seeing the ubiquitous leaf blower in the UK.
I don't either. Leaf blowers are spawn of the devil and American lawn/landscape services are addicted to the bloody things!!!

I don't mind the sound of a gas-powered mower--that's a moderate level of noise that's actually doing something useful. Leaf blowers simply blow leaves & other debris either 1.) into the street, or 2.) into a neighboring property. Just another example of Americans wanting their properties to look like a magazine spread instead of a real garden & throwing money at idiotic machines in the effort.
Old May 15th 2018, 8:32 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I don't either. Leaf blowers are spawn of the devil and American lawn/landscape services are addicted to the bloody things!!!

I don't mind the sound of a gas-powered mower--that's a moderate level of noise that's actually doing something useful. Leaf blowers simply blow leaves & other debris either 1.) into the street, or 2.) into a neighboring property. Just another example of Americans wanting their properties to look like a magazine spread instead of a real garden & throwing money at idiotic machines in the effort.
I don't really agree with that, we live in the woods and without a blower would be hip deep in leaves by winter... and who wants to rake that many leaves?
Old May 15th 2018, 9:05 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I don't really agree with that, we live in the woods and without a blower would be hip deep in leaves by winter... and who wants to rake that many leaves?
We have a lot of leaves falling too, so we mulch mow (mow the leaves to break them up as mulch for the grass) or rake some into the flower & veg gardens to mulch those for winter.

I don't begrudge anyone their leaf blower--I know a few people who love them--but I do resent our local lawn services, who overuse them in a ridiculous attempt to render already-perfect lawns completely immaculate. These service-folk wear heavy ear protectors, but the rest of us all around have to resort to clapping our hands over our ears if we're outside, while the fumes befoul the air of the whole block.

Some HOAs have banned them, apparently. I've never lived under a HOA, & never wanted to, but that's a ban I could get behind....
Old May 15th 2018, 10:28 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

WEBlue, I'm trying to think of it as outsourcing the leaves to another location. Sort of like how they round up the homeless and temporarily relocate them whenever the DNC or the Olympics or Prince Harry and Megging Markle are in town.

Another example of a quirky American way to do things is roadwork. Specifically, the guys/gals who stand there holding the SLOW/STOP signs in their fluorescent jackets, plaid shirts, and helmets.
Generally US road-works are pretty good - many taking place at night (wish they'd do that in the UK) - but it seems like job creation to have these folks holding those signs. Would it be easier to set up temporary traffic lights like they do in the Yuke?
Old May 16th 2018, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

I use the leaf blower to clean the decks, the front porch, the riding lawnmower after cutting the grass, the dead bugs on the window screens etc.

As a bonus you can use it as an interior cleaner for your vehicle.

Open all doors...remove articles like sunglasses which will land several houses down the street..

Blast away under the seats, through the vents that supply heat and A/C and anywhere else your heart desires.

You'll find stuff you thought you lost years ago.
Old May 16th 2018, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Today I am sore. I spent yesterday weed-whacking and cutting back the jungle that was our front and back garden.
It was actually quite pleasurable and satisfying. I'm sore because our Toro lawnmower has to be pushed down on the handle to lift the front wheels when the grass and weeds are thick and tall.
Otherwise thick grass make the little Briggs and Stratton engine stall. Of course, that means there's no self-propelling of the lawnmower.

Anyway, I got to thinking that gas powered lawnmowers and weed whackers are a uniquely American thing. Well, not unique, but gas powered devices are ubiquitous over here.
I just googled the top selling lawn mowers and grass trimmers in the UK; pretty much everything is electric. (I love explaining the Flymo to Americans.)

It's like everything is over engineered here. The 18 wheeler rig, for example, seems overbuilt compared to the six wheel trailer lorries in Europe.
The motorcycles; big heavy V-twins with loads of chrome, compared to the nimble (and cheap) stripped down cafe racers. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with post-war austerity in Britain and Europe.
Crappy British versions of American muscle cars; Ford Capri is supposed to be a Ford Mustang. Cheap tinny cars compared to Cadillacs etc.
Lack of resources while the US has an abundance.

I just don't recall seeing gas powered lawnmowers in the UK. I suppose it could also be related to the postage-stamp sized gardens a lot of properties have in the UK, what with land being a premium and 70 million crammed into a small space.
I also don't recall seeing the ubiquitous leaf blower in the UK.

There are things I would like over here that are ubiquitous in the UK. Radiators, instead of forced air. Gas hobs.

Newspapers in blue plastic bags chucked onto the driveway. I don't even know what newspaper it is. Always gets thrown in the rubbish.
Gas hobs? Those are common over here in the US. Except for rental properties.

We have a riding mower, cause it already takes about 2 hours even with it. It would take forever with a push mower.

American stuff does tend to be more rugged and heavier duty than British goods.
Old May 16th 2018, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a bunch of sidewalks around the property that I like to blow all the crap off, especially after mowing. It just makes the job look neat and finished.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.