Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

Old May 14th 2018, 7:44 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

Today I am sore. I spent yesterday weed-whacking and cutting back the jungle that was our front and back garden.
It was actually quite pleasurable and satisfying. I'm sore because our Toro lawnmower has to be pushed down on the handle to lift the front wheels when the grass and weeds are thick and tall.
Otherwise thick grass make the little Briggs and Stratton engine stall. Of course, that means there's no self-propelling of the lawnmower.

Anyway, I got to thinking that gas powered lawnmowers and weed whackers are a uniquely American thing. Well, not unique, but gas powered devices are ubiquitous over here.
I just googled the top selling lawn mowers and grass trimmers in the UK; pretty much everything is electric. (I love explaining the Flymo to Americans.)

It's like everything is over engineered here. The 18 wheeler rig, for example, seems overbuilt compared to the six wheel trailer lorries in Europe.
The motorcycles; big heavy V-twins with loads of chrome, compared to the nimble (and cheap) stripped down cafe racers. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with post-war austerity in Britain and Europe.
Crappy British versions of American muscle cars; Ford Capri is supposed to be a Ford Mustang. Cheap tinny cars compared to Cadillacs etc.
Lack of resources while the US has an abundance.

I just don't recall seeing gas powered lawnmowers in the UK. I suppose it could also be related to the postage-stamp sized gardens a lot of properties have in the UK, what with land being a premium and 70 million crammed into a small space.
I also don't recall seeing the ubiquitous leaf blower in the UK.

There are things I would like over here that are ubiquitous in the UK. Radiators, instead of forced air. Gas hobs.

Newspapers in blue plastic bags chucked onto the driveway. I don't even know what newspaper it is. Always gets thrown in the rubbish.

Last edited by Octang Frye; May 14th 2018 at 7:47 pm.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Way of Doing Things - Lawnmowers

Battery powered lawnmowers are becoming more common here with the new better batteries. Still when you are cutting large yards of 1, 2 acre and even larger yards gas is the only way to go. At least until batteries get a lot better.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:25 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Not the same thing, though is it? Quiet lawnmowers? There's nothing like being woken up at 7:15am on a Saturday by the sound of your earnest neighbor's lawnmower, drifting in through the window.
Old May 14th 2018, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Not the same thing, though is it? Quiet lawnmowers? There's nothing like being woken up at 7:15am on a Saturday by the sound of your earnest neighbor's lawnmower, drifting in through the window.
Wife used to hate it when she worked nights. Noisy bloody things. When the neigbour's gardeners use their strimmer, debris hits our front door at high velocity from easily 50' away, so not only do we get the noise of the strimmer but rat-a-tat-tat on the doors and windows too.

Our battery Ryobi strimmer lasts long enough to do all around the edges and is just about quiet enough to hold a conversation over. Not practical for people using it as a day job though. Mower? Not a hope.
Old May 14th 2018, 11:33 pm
Peace onion

It was so bad out back it look me 2 hours to cut it all down. Battery wouldn't have cut it.

What's the etiquette for grass clippings? Leave them on the street or brush them up?
Old May 14th 2018, 11:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When you say gas do you mean gasoline? Petrol powered lawnmowers used to be common for even small gardens. My dad had a Suffolk Punch, thing of tattered beauty, which created a wonderful striped football pitch look. All the Flymo it was replaced with seemed to do was tear up the lawn. Modern electric mowers are lighter, cheaper and less maintenance for small gardens though so I can understand the change. For bigger gardens you can get the big sit-on mowers but the old self-propelled petrol mowers seem to be restricted to enthusiasts only now. though when (if?) I get a house with a garden then I know what I'll be getting.

Old May 15th 2018, 12:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We have a gas ride on mower and a gas propelled mower. But then we have 3/4 acres in the back and 1/4 acre in front of the house. Far to much to do with the gas propelled mower, especially for a man who will be 77 this week. We don't allow the grass or weeds to grow over 4 inches in height before mowing. The trimmer needs two batteries in order to all the trim work involved in the front and back and that doesn't include cutting the edging. Down here in the south you need to be up and mowing before 8 in the morning ( 7 am is preferable) or it is too hot. Yesterday and today the temps hit 106 and even now at 7:21 pm it is 91 and it ain't summer yet.
Old May 15th 2018, 12:42 am
Peace onion

Originally Posted by BritInParis
When you say gas do you mean gasoline? Petrol powered lawnmowers used to be common for even small gardens. My dad had a Suffolk Punch, thing of tattered beauty, which created a wonderful striped football pitch look. All the Flymo it was replaced with seemed to do was tear up the lawn. Modern electric mowers are lighter, cheaper and less maintenance for small gardens though so I can understand the change. For bigger gardens you can get the big sit-on mowers but the old self-propelled petrol mowers seem to be restricted to enthusiasts only now. though when (if?) I get a house with a garden then I know what I'll be getting.

I know this mower and love this mower! I remember them at school and you would see them at sporting grounds. Very cool.
The simple push-along ones make a really satisfying noise.
Old May 15th 2018, 1:00 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I know this mower and love this mower! I remember them at school and you would see them at sporting grounds. Very cool.
The simple push-along ones make a really satisfying noise.
Just spotted this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112993172197

Trying to work out a way I can justify owning it to my other half when we live in a third floor flat
Old May 15th 2018, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just spotted this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112993172197

Trying to work out a way I can justify owning it to my other half when we live in a third floor flat
That looks too new and shiny. Mine used to be like the rusty one earlier in this thread,
Now I have a battery powered mower for my 0.5 acre, and really wish the HoA would ban the noisy gas ones.
Old May 15th 2018, 6:56 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Surely in america you have robo mowers? Theres probably a ligical link with robot vacuum cleaners, but there is now growth in the use of robot mowing machines contained by sub surface wires or radio walls. Huskqvarna sell electric models and have a petrol variant on trial, so when they can stop them eating the cat or tortoise you can look foreward to the 2am petrol mower experience :-). Tripping over the robo vac at night is becomming common place.

Here, mowers cant cope with the very rocky and sometimes approaching vertical ground, stihl weed eaters rule and break windows...
Old May 15th 2018, 11:49 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I actually just bought my first gas-powered lawn mower and weed-eater a couple of weeks back, I agree they are over engineered. I would rather have had a rechargable weed eater but the wife insisted it had to be gas, so there I was at home depot picking it out. I just think that the American way of life is totally centered around Gasoline - so why wouldn't the lawn equipment need it?
Old May 15th 2018, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

If you have more than a half acre I recommend s zero turn. When we moved to our new location I bought a Hustler zero turn with a 18-20 hp Kohler engine. They take some getting used to but once mastered cutting the 1 acre yard is a breeze and the wife has learned how to use it and does the grass cutting now in about 30 minutes.
Old May 15th 2018, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't be arsed with all the faffing about that comes with gas powered devices, so I have electric everything. I did have a battery mower, but when the charger broken a second battery I just replaced it with a corded one. A little more faff, but much more reliable. Except my wife just threw away the mulching attachment. I'll have to rig up my own.
Old May 15th 2018, 3:59 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I couldn't be arsed with all the faffing about that comes with gas powered devices, so I have electric everything. I did have a battery mower, but when the charger broken a second battery I just replaced it with a corded one. A little more faff, but much more reliable. Except my wife just threw away the mulching attachment. I'll have to rig up my own.
Likewise I couldn't be faffed with gas-powered, we currently have a battery/corded which is great for our small plot, but won't cut it for the new property with much more land.

I found a nice ride-on battery powered model, but OH has just vetoed in on cost grounds...

Thinking of getting a goat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.