Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The American Health Care Act

The American Health Care Act

Old Mar 15th 2017, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Health Care Act

Originally Posted by Rete
Sure strengthen the mandate, i.e. increase financial penalty, and everyone will buy healthcare insurance.

My daughter's family of 5 does not have insurance. ACA increased the Humana premiums so high they could no longer afford to pay them. There are so few healthcare insurers in MS and all their premiums so high they could not find a substitute. They are self-employed and opted to not pay out over $4,000 a month for insurance with an outrageously high deductible when they could pay the penalty at tax time and still be able to afford well visits for the children and the occasional urgent care visit if needed out of pocket. Don't even go the way of tax credits. Even with that small handout, they still could not afford the monthly premium. So increase the mandate and then remove the roof from over their heads and the food for the kids' mouths all because every American should be buying their own healthcare. Which, ironically, they did before ACA.
This site says the max for MS should be around $2000, someone has got the wrong information.

http://health.usnews.com/health-insurance/mississippi

Last edited by mrken30; Mar 15th 2017 at 10:11 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Sure strengthen the mandate, i.e. increase financial penalty, and everyone will buy healthcare insurance.

My daughter's family of 5 does not have insurance. ACA increased the Humana premiums so high they could no longer afford to pay them. There are so few healthcare insurers in MS and all their premiums so high they could not find a substitute. They are self-employed and opted to not pay out over $4,000 a month for insurance with an outrageously high deductible when they could pay the penalty at tax time and still be able to afford well visits for the children and the occasional urgent care visit if needed out of pocket. Don't even go the way of tax credits. Even with that small handout, they still could not afford the monthly premium. So increase the mandate and then remove the roof from over their heads and the food for the kids' mouths all because every American should be buying their own healthcare. Which, ironically, they did before ACA.
There are 20m less uninsured than there were before the ACA was enacted and is at the lowest rate ever recorded. So I would suggest the situation is more nuanced than you are depicting. Additionally, in your daughter's position, I would want the mandate made more effective to bring more younger and healthier people into the insurance pool. With the current mandate, too many people choose to forgo coverage and effectively freeload on the system - including one of my daughters.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 15th 2017 at 10:32 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2017, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think employers should just give employees "cash" to buy insurance on the open market. This would hopefully bring insurance down for everyone. At the moment, some employers get huge group discounts for health insurance.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:10 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

None of that is true. Obama is biracial, actually. He had an black father and a white mother. He was far from liberal just ran under the democratic party line which is liberal because this is the only party that would endorse him as a complete unknown. As for religion, who cares. What mattered was where his sympathies laid and they were not as strong as HC's in the Muslim camp.

The GOP would not work with the former president because it was not in their best financial and political interests. It had nothing to do with being conservative or liberal, democrat or republican, blue or red. It also comes down to the lobbyists and who will fatten their bank accounts and feather their nests the best.
It had everything to do with racism. GOP Congress had no intention, nor ever had of passing any health plan for the millions without insurance and especially from a "suspected secret Muslim" a man who they regarded as black and a liberal to boot. It was everything they hated.

Racism is alive and well. Trump has slandered and insulted Obama to the point where Obama should sue him for libel once Trump is kicked out of office.

I hope that the latest baseless allegation that Obama had Trump Tower wire tapped becomes another headache for him.

Trump might come down to earth a bit if he stopped listening to that former Breitbart loony Steve Bannon.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And despite asking the question multiple times, I have never got an answer as to why health care gets singled out as being a government responsibility when food and housing are not?

Isn't provision of food even more important than medical treatment? With luck you can survive without medical care for many years, the same is not true of food.
Because healthcare requires specialized knowledge and individuals providing it need to be shown to be capable of providing the required skills. Because most adults could fashion shelter from basic materials and grow food from seed and hunt and fish, but not many could perform an appendectomy. Because having a healthy population is of benefit to the entire country - you have a ready supply of young men to fight in your armed services and a fit working population to drive your economy and to be able to provide support to individuals who cannot work - due to age, bad luck or genetics. Because healthcare overseen by a government provides for a more flexible workforce than one where people stick at employers in unsuitable jobs because they can't leave as the insurance is good. Because a single payer system cuts out the inefficiency of a doctor's office employing more billing clerks than medical staff just to deal with the different insurer systems.

The US population doesn't seem to accept that it is perfectly possible to have an efficient government bureaucracy - other countries to it, but for some reason the concept has never taken root there. It really bewilders me that "we the people" for example never rise up and make a fuss about poor service from their local servants, for example, DMV in whatever state, and keep making a fuss until it's fixed. Witness the hoo-hah in the UK when the passport office had delays a couple of years ago - people contacting their MPs, questions in parliament, headlines in the papers. It got sorted. That NEVER happens in the US, people get outraged for 10 minutes, then its a shrug and "meh, what can you do" and back to normal. I can only put it down to the US culture of the individual vs the European culture of "for the good of the people".

This is a country that put man on the moon nearly 50 years ago with less computing power than my mobile phone. Now it is beyond them to come up with a fair healthcare system when there are already successful examples of different systems in place around the world? What the hell happened?
Old Mar 16th 2017, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Now it is beyond them to come up with a fair healthcare system when there are already successful examples of different systems in place around the world? What the hell happened?
Such as?
Old Mar 16th 2017, 12:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Because healthcare requires specialized knowledge and individuals providing it need to be shown to be capable of providing the required skills. Because most adults could fashion shelter from basic materials and grow food from seed and hunt and fish, but not many could perform an appendectomy. - ..... [yada yada yada]
That is why healthcare might need government to promote the development of medical technology and infrastructure. None of that explains why the government should PAY for it, and raise taxes to do so.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is why healthcare might need government to promote the development of medical technology and infrastructure. None of that explains why the government should PAY for it, and raise taxes to do so.
You're moving the goalposts there - you were previously talking about "government responsibility". You've also not addressed why the USA is incapable of developing an efficient civil service.

Frankly, you and I are never going to agree due to your extreme individualism relative to the european middle ground. I have US colleagues who share a similar view to you, and the conversations always get unstuck around "why should I pay for roads I don't drive on/schools my kids don't attend/hospitals when I don't get sick". Some were very kind and generous people who did a lot for their neighbours, so not total bastards. But it's a worldview that works well if you live in Walnut Grove in the late C19 and have Ingalls as your neighbours, but IMHO is not a worldview compatible with modern society.

Frankly, if the US isn't going to develop some kind of single payer system, you'd be better off abolishing insurance companies and making healthcare cash on delivery, with all patients paying the same price. Like it was in the C19 - at least there was some transparency.

[edit to add]why should you have to raise taxes to pay for it? you're already spending 50% more than France and covering fewer citizens. See here.

Last edited by yellowroom; Mar 16th 2017 at 1:59 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
Such as?
Is google broken for you?

By measures of %GDP spent, patient access and patient costs, and healthcare outcomes like life expectancy and disease survival? Countries that are consistently rated highly (and higher than the US) include Japan, Switzerland, France, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, Canada, the UK, Sweden, Australia...
Old Mar 16th 2017, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is google broken for you?

By measures of %GDP spent, patient access and patient costs, and healthcare outcomes like life expectancy and disease survival? Countries that are consistently rated highly (and higher than the US) include Japan, Switzerland, France, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, Canada, the UK, Sweden, Australia...
I am familiar with the issues France and Canada have, Canada has problems that have been mentioned on this thread. Down under, well I have come across a few threads on BE that certainly suggests not all is rosy.

Vaguely amused you did not mention the UK.

Japan would be interesting, aging population etc etc. Not sure if I have seen anybody who is familiar with it comment.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vaguely amused you did not mention the UK
Vaguely amused that you can't read.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am familiar with the issues France and Canada have, Canada has problems that have been mentioned on this thread. Down under, well I have come across a few threads on BE that certainly suggests not all is rosy.

Vaguely amused you did not mention the UK.

Japan would be interesting, aging population etc etc. Not sure if I have seen anybody who is familiar with it comment.
None of those countries spends anything as remotely as much as a percentage of GDP as the US does. And none leaves large numbers without effective access.

That's not to say other systems don't have issues - clearly they do - but by almost any measure the US system is an outlier in terms of cost and access for no palpable improvement in health outcomes.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 16th 2017 at 3:40 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
None of those countries spends anything as remotely as much as a percentage of GDP as the US does. And none leaves large numbers without effective access.

That's not to say other systems don't have issues - clearly they do - but by almost any measure the US system is an outlier in terms of cost and access for no palpable improvement in health outcomes.
The US system is probably one of the most complex health care systems in terms of billing.

Why can't I just get one bill from the hospital. When I get my car fixed, I don't get a bill from the dealership, a bill from the employee, a bill from the various suppliers. The dealership bills me, the suppliers bill the dealership.

There is so much paperwork and bureaucracy in the US healthcare system. This needs to be addressed, stop the waste.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I got a bill from my dentist yesterday. Out of nowhere there was a $296 charge for a crown my husband had in 2014.

Apparently I'm now supposed to find my insurance company from 2014, submit the claim to them, then pay the remainder
Old Mar 16th 2017, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kins
I got a bill from my dentist yesterday. Out of nowhere there was a $296 charge for a crown my husband had in 2014.

Apparently I'm now supposed to find my insurance company from 2014, submit the claim to them, then pay the remainder
Another example of how screwed up the system is. No other industry would be able to work this way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.