Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The American Health Care Act

The American Health Care Act

Old May 23rd 2017, 4:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Health Care Act

My hospital is a non-profit, I haven't heard it put much better than 'insurer of last resort' to be honest.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
That's how I assumed it worked as well, but reading this gives a different perspective:

https://insight.kellogg.northwestern...ofit-hospitals
Interesting... which means a lot of non-profit hospitals are going to be in deep financial shit if the number of uninsured increases by 24m as projected under the AHCA. Also, such arguments can't apply to for-profit hospitals.

Providing healthcare in an emergency room setting is extraordinarily expensive, so it makes no sense to have millions of uninsured using emergency services like this.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 23rd 2017 at 4:36 pm.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:37 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Most are in deep shit right now. That's the facts. You can't force someone to pay other than to damage their credit, and the working poor generally have poor credit anyway so don't care - it's a death spiral.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Please put away your DNC talking points. While I don't like Trump, 8 years of Barack Obama showed us that the Democrats do not care about the working classes either, and perhaps care even less.
Please put away your RNC talking points. While I'm not happy with everything Obama did, 4 months of Trump has shown us that not only do the Republicans not care about the working class, they don't care about anything or anybody outside of helping their already rich billionaire donors.
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Emergency rooms legally have to "medically stablilize" you regardless of ability to pay. Go to any emergency room and it's not hard to deduce that many use it as their access to the health system as opposed to using it purely for emergencies.

If 100% of a bill is written off (which is what happened with a $27k bill for one of my children, btw) then the hospital (and doctors) make a loss. Those losses are made up by charging others (or the taxpayer) more.
Well, frankly I seriously doubt over 50% of a $27k bill is the actual cost to the hospital. I did think that hospitals did get some recovery form the government but guess I was wrong in that. My father in law during a visit to USA had to go to emergency room- total visit was around 40 minutes, nurse time + 10 minute of doctors time. $1,800 bill.

I agree some people use emergency rooms for non emergencies- but mainly because such people cannot afford regular medical care. Emergency room as you say are required to stabilize the patient, but anything more the person can be out of luck with no insurance.

The main problem is out of control medical costs from doctors and hospitals.
Old May 23rd 2017, 6:10 pm
Often not so civil...

The issue is not so much with out of control hospital costs as it is with out of control supplier cots - slap medical or hospital in front of anything and you can triple the cost, Blood pressure cuff (only the cuff)? $60, Thermometer? $250. Cardiac monitor? $4k at least.
Old May 23rd 2017, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I did think that hospitals did get some recovery form the government but guess I was wrong in that.
The article I reference in #315 above does say that there is some government reimbursement in certain circumstances.
Old May 23rd 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
One policy I know about excluded pre existing conditions for 18 months but as you say having NHS no big deal.

Those are good questions. My answer would be a global solution needs to be in place rather than just tinker here or there.

As far as emergency room visits, at least in states I am familiar with, they have to attend to people, but that doesn't stop them billing! My daughter had to go to an emergency room in NYC in December, saw a doctor for grand total of 15 minutes, dealing with receptionist ( who barely spoke English or any other language we know), and for 30 minutes labor time and bill was $900. So really unless costs are controlled, how does one determine a reasonable percentage of income ?

I do know it is a perverse regressive evil to penalize people just for being poor. Or for companies over a certain number of employees to be required to OFFER medical insurance - but then company charges so much for premiums employees cant afford the insurance,
This doesn't sound like my recent experience at New York Hospital. Was bitten by a dog, it grew infected and I ended up at the emergency room. My wedding ring had to be cut off because my hand had become swollen and because they wanted to try out a new cutting device. I was surrounded by about ten young interns oohing and aahing as my ring was sliced in two. I was then given a shot and hooked up to an IV and given a bed for several hours. Everyone was very nice and respectful and jolly. It was not atypical of my experiences in helping either my mother-in-law or friends on a Sunday to the emergency room - unless they are overwhelmed, Nurse Jackie-style. For the antibiotics and the care I received, the bill was $500.
Old May 23rd 2017, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Always wondered but never asked anyone who might know.

So if you incur costs in the UK, lets say you go to a Private Hospital to keep it on topic and you are sent a bill then they can not just make up numbers and multiply by 10. If it goes to Court and you seek a judgement then you have to show the costs you are seeking to recover are reasonable.

Now obviously the US system is different, but always wondered how. Find it hard to believe a Court would support such outrageous fees.
Old May 23rd 2017, 8:51 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

So if you incur costs in the UK, lets say you go to a Private Hospital to keep it on topic and you are sent a bill then they can not just make up numbers and multiply by 10. If it goes to Court and you seek a judgement then you have to show the costs you are seeking to recover are reasonable.

Now obviously the US system is different, but always wondered how. Find it hard to believe a Court would support such outrageous fees.
Health insurance companies here don't always pay the amount the hospital bills them for treatment of a member.

My wife spent several days in hospital two years ago. She didn't have to pay anything. Her health plan covered it. The hospital billed the health plan 16 K dollars. The health plan paid the hospital 9K dollars and the hospital agreed and accepted the payment.

This is very often normal procedure between hospitals, dentists and insurers

Last edited by dc koop; May 23rd 2017 at 8:54 pm.
Old May 23rd 2017, 9:58 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by dc koop
Health insurance companies here don't always pay the amount the hospital bills them for treatment of a member.

My wife spent several days in hospital two years ago. She didn't have to pay anything. Her health plan covered it. The hospital billed the health plan 16 K dollars. The health plan paid the hospital 9K dollars and the hospital agreed and accepted the payment.

It's not very often normal behavior, it's always what happens. A contracted hospital has no choice but to accept the insurance rates that are given to it. Medicare and Medicaid also work this way - you can bill all you want, but you'll only get paid what you agreed to in the provider agreement.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Please put away your RNC talking points. While I'm not happy with everything Obama did, 4 months of Trump has shown us that not only do the Republicans not care about the working class, they don't care about anything or anybody outside of helping their already rich billionaire donors.

You must not have read my earlier posts. I said that Obama does not care about the working poor "either." I am a Democrat and have voted for only one Republican in my entire life, and that was one time only in a municipal election. That I am a Democrat doesn't change just because you don't like that I am not falling in line with the Obama hagiography.

I must have missed the part of Obama's presidency where he didn't prioritise helping the rich billionaire donors. He did spearhead the prosecutions of all those bank criminals who caused the GFC right? Oh wait no he didn't.

The ACA has huge, huge problems - many of which were foreseeable and have directly impacted the working poor the bill was politically spun to be intended to help - and will have to be reconstituted somehow.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

One usually goes to a Private Hospital in the UK when one has Private Medical Insurance (think BUPA, Nuffield Health)

Your Private Medical insurance company will determine which hospital you go to and that hospital would have negotiated costs with the insurance company.

If you go to a Private Hospital without Private Medical insurance, you would, surely have negotiated/asked what the cost would be.
Old May 24th 2017, 12:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dc koop

I realise that, I read that the average payout was 62% of what is billed, or was it a 62% discount.

You know that, I assume a Judge knows that, so makes me wonder if you have had treatment, you are disputing the amount, do they not have to justify the cost before a Judge to get an order, not just go with their made up number?

Even if you have a regular issue, non emergency, seems impossible to find out a cost before treatment.

I see all these horror stories, Channel 9 locally spend a week running with them, but seemed to keep on coming down to tough that is what we charge.
Old May 24th 2017, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
You must not have read my earlier posts. I said that Obama does not care about the working poor "either.
You also added "and perhaps care even less". Please explain how that fits with the ACA having attempted to expand Medicaid to many of the working poor (some Republican states refused the expansion) and how the AHCA and Trump's proposed budget cuts to Medicaid indicate anything other than he cares rather less about the poor.

Here are the percentages by state of Medicaid recipients where someone in the family unit is working:

http://kff.org/medicaid/state-indica...2:%22asc%22%7D

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 24th 2017 at 12:55 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.