Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American Chocolates?

American Chocolates?

Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Chocolates?

Originally Posted by Weeze
I'd take one of the Oreo special flavours. The peanut butter cup Oreos are delicious.
Oh I forgot peanut butter cups, my lot like them but you can get them in Asda now so no point in wasting valuable luggage space. The only chocolate I eat over here are twix or kit kat, they are passable I think because of the low chocolate to wafer/caramel ratio and I liked coconut creme dove eggs at easter although I wouldn't thank you for dove chocolate, again there was more filling in those than chocolate.

Some of the Ghiradelli is OK and some of the Godiva if you have a store nearby. If you were visiting me in the UK I would rather have a big box of toffifee or toblerone from the duty free.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Ghiradelli , ideally in a gift tin. Always been a hit and (as far as I know) you can't get in UK.

Ghirardelli - Premium Chocolate and Chocolate Gifts
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
She's doing it on purpose
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
The only chocolate I eat over here are twix or kit kat, they are passable I think because of the low chocolate to wafer/caramel ratio
Agreed, they're probably my most common snack.

Godiva if you have a store nearby.
Godiva is in the UK so another "coals to Newcastle scenario"!

If you were visiting me in the UK I would rather have a big box of toffifee or toblerone from the duty free.
But check the prices first as Duty Free often seems to be more expensive than the high street these days.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
But check the prices first as Duty Free often seems to be more expensive than the high street these days.
Pop into the corner shop on the way to the person's house
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:07 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Fairly easy to find:
Ghirardelli (owned by Lindt, so perhaps not American)
Dagoba (proof that Hershey's can make excellent chocolate)
Scharffen - Berger (more proof that Hershey's can make excellent chocolate)

Luxury stuff:
Best Chocolate in the U.S. | Food & Wine

Trivia:
Hershey's is truly terrible, but it's not due to incompetance. In fact, it tastes like that deliberately. The Hershey's Process, invented in the 1910s, introduces partially lipodized milk into the chocolate. This was done as a cost saving measure (it reduces spoilage) in pre-depression US when chocolate was a very expensive luxury item. Americans got used to the taste and it stuck. As a result, the standard Hershey's milk chocolate contains butyric acid, which is also found in parmesan cheese and baby spit up. Most Americans are so used to this disgusting taste that they look at you blankly when you say that Hershey's tastes like puke. Which it literally does taste like. Sensible Europeans didn't grow up on this stuff and thus have an automatic gag reflex when trying to eat it. Avoid.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

If you are getting stuff for kids, then just get a variety pack of the random penny sweets. It's no better than UK stuff (in fact it is mostly worse), but it's different. Twinkies would probably go down well just because British people have probably heard of them from US tv and movies.

Give them Hershey's and they might give you a load of UK chocolate in sympathy for the nastiness.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
As a result, the standard Hershey's milk chocolate contains butyric acid, which is also found in parmesan cheese and baby spit up. Most Americans are so used to this disgusting taste that they look at you blankly when you say that Hershey's tastes like puke. Which it literally does taste like. Sensible Europeans didn't grow up on this stuff and thus have an automatic gag reflex when trying to eat it. Avoid.
butyric acid is so ubiquitous that other candy manufacturers add it to their "chocolate" as Americans think that is what it should taste like.

Anyway, the only US candy I shall miss on my return to the UK are York Peppermint Patties. Very moreish. Probably because of the very low chocolate content and the massive sugar hit. Mind you I have also been known to plough my way through a box of After Eight mints on my own....
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
butyric acid is so ubiquitous that other candy manufacturers add it to their "chocolate" as Americans think that is what it should taste like. ....
Yeah, but then you're also talking about people who like salted snacks coated in chocolate.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Fairly easy to find:
Ghirardelli (owned by Lindt, so perhaps not American)
Dagoba (proof that Hershey's can make excellent chocolate)
Scharffen - Berger (more proof that Hershey's can make excellent chocolate)

Luxury stuff:
Best Chocolate in the U.S. | Food & Wine

Trivia:
Hershey's is truly terrible, but it's not due to incompetance. In fact, it tastes like that deliberately. The Hershey's Process, invented in the 1910s, introduces partially lipodized milk into the chocolate. This was done as a cost saving measure (it reduces spoilage) in pre-depression US when chocolate was a very expensive luxury item. Americans got used to the taste and it stuck. As a result, the standard Hershey's milk chocolate contains butyric acid, which is also found in parmesan cheese and baby spit up. Most Americans are so used to this disgusting taste that they look at you blankly when you say that Hershey's tastes like puke. Which it literally does taste like. Sensible Europeans didn't grow up on this stuff and thus have an automatic gag reflex when trying to eat it. Avoid.
Explains a lot. I have had a bar of Hershey's for 5 months uneaten . No 'chocolate' has ever lasted this long in my house.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:40 pm
Goldina

Goldina is an unknown quantity at this point

Sees of course.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Explains a lot. I have had a bar of Hershey's for 5 months uneaten . No 'chocolate' has ever lasted this long in my house.
We've got some in the fridge for the same reason. I really ought to clear it out.

For some reason I never tried the chocolate coated bacon. Only one thing worse than US chocolate, and that's adding streaky bacon to it.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 10:28 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Hi, I'm due to travel to the UK soon and stumped on what special American Chocolates to buy? I know of Hershey's, but are there any 'good ones' that you don't get in the UK?

Many thanks!

More to the point, how much chocolate are you going to take back to the USA with you.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 1:10 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

I bought 4 3 packs of Double Deckers back with me.

I ran out in two weeks and Mrs T had to bring more

In my defence, I did share some one with a work colleague.

As for stuff we took: clothes and shit from Wallyworld, some dodgy sweets and some jerky that we sneaked in.

Found the jerky in Tesco, cheaper than US prices!

Last edited by Titchski; Jul 17th 2014 at 1:11 am. Reason: Added what we took over...
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Problem is you can now get Hersheys etc in the UK, stocked by ASDA, which is, of course, owned by Walmarts, all I'm thanakful for is that we dont get anything like the customers featured on 'People of Walmart' here in the UK
No, we re-branded it 'people of Morrisons'.....or as our local store had it for several days 'Mor. ons'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.