American Cars

Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:14 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Cars

Sorry, I'm a bit of a car nerd, so long, pedantic rant ahead...

American car manufacturers essentially stopped making competitive cars in 1970, IMO. The cars hit an absolute nadir in the 80s with some of the worst cars ever made (Cadillac Cimmaron, anyone?).

Then came the ninties and the American manufacturers were able to rebody cheap pickup platforms as high margin SUVs. The American SUV craze essentially stopped American passenger car development for a decade: no money was spent on R+D and no serious effort was made to produce cars that could genuinely compete with imports.

The good news is that behemoth, American style SUVs never caught on in the rest of the world and American manufacturers were forced to continue to make some reasonably good cars in other markets. As SUVs have (finally) stopped selling here in the US, GM and Ford are starting to leverage their superior non-domestic platforms and sell them here. For example: basically all of Saturns current line-up are rebadged Opals. The next generation Vectra should be truly excellent when it's sold here in 2009 as the Saturn Aura. The current Aura, based on the current Vectra (GM Epsilon platform), isn't too shabby a car either. The new Saturn Vue is a rebadged Opal Antara. You could honestly make the argument that the new Vue is the best mini-CUV on sale in the US for the money (better than a CR-V or Rav4). The upcoming 08 Chevy Malibu (another Epsilon car) actually looks very compelling and may offer a true alternative to an Accord or Camry for the first time. One other car that looks interesting is the upcoming Pontiac G8, which is a rebadged Holden Monaro from Australia. This car is currently being sold as the Vauxhall VXR8 in the UK and it's apparently a great car. The G8 will offer 400+ HP V8, AWD, a truly nice interior etc for less than $35K when it's sold here next year.

There are some other cars that American manufacurers need to bring over: the new Euro Ford Focus, the Ford Mondeo and Ford S-Max are all absolutely excellent, but not sold here. (The S-Max may come over here, it's a great small minivan based on the Volvo S80.) The upcoming relaunched Ford Festiva should also be excellent, but there's no plans to sell it here. Also, American manufacturers do some pretty cool engine options in Europe which aren't sold here (particularly diesels).

Lastly, American car manufacturers do have a few genunine good domestically-designed cars. The 08 C6 Corvette has even more horsepower, a brand new and vastly improved interior and improved handling. The 07 was damned good, but the 08 is a simply amazing sports car for the money, no car at that price comes even close. The upcoming ($100K) Corvette ZR-1/SS/Blue Devil/whatever should be able to smoke some of the fastest cars in the world (Ferrari Enzo-type performance) at a fraction of the cost.

I think the best domestically-designed American car currently on sale is the brand new 08 Cadillac CTS. It's got a cutting edge direct injection V6 (over 300HP), great handling, a compelling look and an interior that is (for the first time) truly on par with Europe's best. I recently went for a ride in one of these cars, it's the first American interior that seems like they actually spent some money developing and implementing in a long time. The previous CTS wasn't bad (it wasn't great either), but the new one could reasonable be considered an alternative to something like a 5 series BMW. That sounds absurd, but I think it's the case. The upcoming CTS-V will offer at least 550 HP and possible AWD in a luxury sedan for less than $65K. That's a bargain.

Overall, I honestly believe that GM, Ford and perhaps even Chrysler (under new, tough management) may stage a comeback in the next few years. People have been talking about that for years, but I think we're really starting to see it in the 08 models. If American car manufacturers are able to sustain and build on their success, I think my next car may be American.

Last edited by Hiro11; Sep 21st 2007 at 2:17 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:39 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

We were told last Christmas, by a Ford executive, that Ford were going to introduce some of the European models this year.

I am still waiting.

I agree on the need for small diesels here, the German style Focus, the Mondeo, and I would love to have access to the 4-door Turbodiesel Ranger 4x4 and the entire Transit range.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:41 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

I bought the Haynes manual for my Town Car. It covered all cars from 1970 to 2005. A 35 year span!!!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I think you guys are mental, I love my avalanche because of the utility, but american sedans?

I like to go fast, stop quickly, go through twistys rapidly whilst being in a cabin of decent quality. US sedans lack all of the above apart from the first.

You need to go german for the package

I've heard good things about the saturn aura however, but have not sat in one yet - rebadged vauxhall astra?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:43 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I think you guys are mental, I love my avalanche because of the utility, but american sedans?

I like to go fast, stop quickly, go through twistys rapidly whilst being in a cabin of decent quality. US sedans lack all of the above apart from the first.

You need to go german for the package

I've heard good things about the saturn aura however, but have not sat in one yet - rebadged vauxhall astra?
We don't have twisties in Florida.

Have you ever asked about trade-in values on an Avalanche ? They suck.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:48 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I like to go fast, stop quickly, go through twistys rapidly
The first and the last don't tend to happen where I've been driving!

I got my TC up to 60mph today. That was a first.

The brakes ARE important - because if I leave a 'safe' two car gap between me and auto in front, some DICK will ALWAYS swerve in there.

I swear....:curse:
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In 1969.. I bought a red 1962 galaxie convertible ...(as pic)
loved it.. was a monster ..but very unreliable and spares were
hard to get in the UK ..

Then went thru dozens inc..Malibus, Impalas, Ltd, AMX (nice)
Mercury colony park ... Buick leSabre, mustangs various

Then got a 68 El camino ..and great ..350 bhp (as pic)

Then a yellow 68 corvette convertible (got written off)

1972 Cadillac Eldorado ..best bird puller of the lot (as pic)

Missed 20 years by driving BMW, MGBGT and landrovers

Up todate .. Dodge ram
but looking forward maybe to the 2008 New Challenger(as pic)
Attached Thumbnails American Cars-62galconv.jpg   American Cars-68cam.jpg   American Cars-72eldo.jpg   American Cars-challenger_desktop_800x600.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:55 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Ray
In 1969.. I bought a red 1962 galaxie convertible ...(as pic)
loved it.. was a monster ..but very unreliable and spares were
hard to get in the UK ..

Then went thru dozens inc..Malibus, Impalas, Ltd, AMX (nice)
Mercury colony park ... Buick leSabre, mustangs various

Then got a 68 El camino ..and great ..350 bhp (as pic)

Then a yellow 68 corvette convertible (got written off)

1972 Cadillac Eldorado ..best bird puller of the lot (as pic)

Missed 20 years by driving BMW, MGBGT and landrovers

Up todate .. Dodge ram
but looking forward maybe to the 2008 New Challenger(as pic)
I love that Caddie!!!

So how many years did you spend as a pimp?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I love that Caddie!!!
So how many years did you spend as a pimp?
Many a true word spoken in jest ....
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:23 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Ray
Many a true word spoken in jest ....
You'll have to teach me to keep my pimp hand strong.

My woman gets out of line and makes me take out the garbage every night.

Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:23 pm
Militant Ginger

I would NEVER call her a beotch. She's about as un-beotch as you can possibly get.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Growing up in the 70s & 80s, I saw the pieces of sh*t American cars my folks bought. I remember all the mechanical problems they used to have went away as soon as they bought a Mazda and Honda. I think that early intro to the reliability and long-life of the Japanese cars is what has biased me in all my car purchases. I have never, and will never buy an American made car. The only American car I may remotely consider would be a Saturn.

I want a car that will be reliable/dependable, not depreciate by 10% (or more) as soon as I drive it off the lot, and gets great mpg. I don't need speed, a huge engine or heated leather seats. I don't know of one US-made car that meets those criteria at this time. But maybe some of you out there could enlighten me (but doubt it would change my mind).

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Sep 21st 2007 at 3:32 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:31 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
We don't have twisties in Florida.

Have you ever asked about trade-in values on an Avalanche ? They suck.
sorry but that wasn't the case for us, it must depend on which state your in as we bought the car in MA, and then moved to NC, the car was 4 yrs old when we traded it in and we still got $20,000, which was cool coz we bought it for $30,000 (bought as used,) so we were happy...
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:43 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by lisag8070
sorry but that wasn't the case for us, it must depend on which state your in as we bought the car in MA, and then moved to NC, the car was 4 yrs old when we traded it in and we still got $20,000, which was cool coz we bought it for $30,000 (bought as used,) so we were happy...
I have noticed some American cars maintain their value astonishingly well - others not at all. Why is a 1988 Camry worth $3,000 (one my wife and I looked at) but an '86 Town Car in much better condition $1,000.

Petrol, maintenence I guess - although I think a Lincoln probably breaks down less often than a Camry when they're that age. And what does an American camry do? 30mpg? 25mpg?

My Toyota Carina in the UK did 40mpg.

My family friends back in England have a good system. They buy a new car and put 10p in a jar for every mile they drive. After three years, they take that money and combine it with the trade in value of the car and can afford a new one.

Usually it's Skodas they drive.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Obvously I am biased but my personal ride is a dark red 2006 Crown Victoria LX Sport with cold air intake and Flowmasters. Looks just like an unmarked Police Cruiser. It's not your Grandad's Vic.
Anybody flagged you down for a fare, yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.