Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is America the greatest country in the world?

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Kali-forniarrr is a prolific and opinionated poster.
Thought that was against the rules. Why haven't they banned him, yet?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:44 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Thought that was against the rules. Why haven't they banned him, yet?
I knew it. Thought it was a he.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I was having a conversation/debate earlier with my husband stimulated by the words of politicians including our current presidential candidates. So, I was just wondering what you think - is America the greatest country in the world?
Since no one seems willing to risk answering, I'll ask for a refinement to the question ... Are you asking,
"is it the greatest country 'ever' in the world",
or,
"is it the greatest country 'currently' in the world? "

And - what defines 'greatest'? Fun? Opportunity? World impact?

I'd say it is CURRENTLY the greatest country in the world, by most 'obvious' measures (influence, power, control, etc), just like Britain was a few centuries ago, and before that, Spain, Rome, China, etc.

I suspect its time in the spotlight is not going to last much longer, and we will see China take over. Only if we get some serious, long-term visionary leadership will we stay in the spotlight for another century.

Now I will duck and run for being foolish enough to try a serious answer!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

17 million illegal aliens say yes!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Since no one seems willing to risk answering, I'll ask for a refinement to the question ... Are you asking,
"is it the greatest country 'ever' in the world",
or,
"is it the greatest country 'currently' in the world? "

And - what defines 'greatest'? Fun? Opportunity? World impact?

I'd say it is CURRENTLY the greatest country in the world, by most 'obvious' measures (influence, power, control, etc), just like Britain was a few centuries ago, and before that, Spain, Rome, China, etc.

I suspect its time in the spotlight is not going to last much longer, and we will see China take over. Only if we get some serious, long-term visionary leadership will we stay in the spotlight for another century.

Now I will duck and run for being foolish enough to try a serious answer!
Thanks for the serious answer!

I suppose the question is whether America is CURRENTLY the greatest country in the world. Though, sometimes when I hear someone say it, it seems like they're saying the greatest country EVER.

I suppose influence, power and control are important, but there are definitely some other characteristics that should probably define the greatest country in the world. After all, I'd like to think that influence, power and control aren't everything.

I am open to definitions of what makes a country the greatest in the world.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the serious answer!

I suppose the question is whether America is CURRENTLY the greatest country in the world. Though, sometimes when I hear someone say it, it seems like they're saying the greatest country EVER.

I suppose influence, power and control are important, but there are definitely some other characteristics that should probably define the greatest country in the world. After all, I'd like to think that influence, power and control aren't everything.

I am open to definitions of what makes a country the greatest in the world.
Hmmm I guess it's very subjective, it all depends on how you define 'greatest'. I'm not sure there is one greatest country in the world in terms of the best all round I'm sure a lot of Americans would say it's the greatest because they have been told that so often (present company excluded of course). If I were to describe the greatest person in the world I definitely wouldn't name the person with the most power, control and influence.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's the greatest country in the world, I don't think any country is, you can quote statistics on various things as to who worldwide is the most this or the least that, whatever, -shrugs.

All I know is it's my home.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Hershey's v Cadbury's
Definately Cadbury`s
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball or Cricket?

I can't watch either, they both put me to sleep .
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:05 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I was having a conversation/debate earlier with my husband stimulated by the words of politicians including our current presidential candidates. So, I was just wondering what you think - is America the greatest country in the world?
Difficult question. I had to turn to the occult, but the answer is affirmative.

No need for further discussion.
Attached Thumbnails Is America the greatest country in the world?-8ball.jpg  
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Difficult question. I had to turn to the occult, but the answer is affirmative.

No need for further discussion.
sez the man happily stuffing donuts in his gob,
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
sez the man happily stuffing donuts in his gob,
Five down. Three to go. I gave two away.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:21 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Five down. Three to go. I gave two away.
What kind of donuts? Krispy Kreme?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:26 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by cindyabs
What kind of donuts? Krispy Kreme?
No, a local place and not nearly as good as KK. Still doughnuts though.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
-sigh-

Everyone knows the best country in the world is Iceland. The ratio of hot blonde chicks to homely guys is the highest on the planet.
QED.

Hey I went blond last week. Moving to Iceland would be a great disappointment to all the homely guys there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.