Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime streaming British Shows

Wikiposts

Amazon Prime streaming British Shows

Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:14 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazon Prime streaming British Shows

Okay, so I finally broke down and bought Amazon Prime for a year. Due to changes going on with me, I needed it for the free shipping and it's pretty much paid for itself already.

I can't seem to find any decent British mystery/detective/cop shows that I haven't already seen on PBS. What am I doing wrong? Any of the ones that sound interesting (I've pinched from other Brit/TV threads) either aren't on Prime or I have to pay extra.

Who among you BEers has Prime and what are you watching?
Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:24 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Prime streaming British Shows

We have prime, but I dont watch much on it. What I have watched was "Mad Dogs" its a US remake of a UK Sky show. A bit blokey, a bit silly but enjoyable. I liked both versions.

Mad Dogs (TV Series 2015–2016) - IMDb
Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We use Roku and subscribe to Acorn to watch the British TV shows. I found that even with Prime, I have to pay a fee for each episode I watch but they are the only place I can watch shows like Death in Paradise.

My sister and I are hooked on a Place To Call Home and are awaiting the next season's airing. Also enjoy Murdoch's Mystery which is Canadian and Foley's War. Vera is okay and can't stomach Doc Martin. Vera isn't too bad but I loathe her calling everyone "pet". Find that condescending.

New Tricks is shown on PBS but here in the bowels of the south, there are no PBS stations on Comcast and I've not found New Tricks on Acorn or Prime.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 17th 2016 at 5:29 am.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:35 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently become addicted to the old film noir movies available on Prime -- they have some great free choices. I don't usually follow series, but did watch both seasons of Mozart in the Jungle, which was excellent. Biggest quibble, a number of times I've got halfway into a movie and it has stopped streaming, or slowed to a frame by frame crawl for no good reason. The problem has obviously been with the specific film, nothing to do with our reception.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We use Roku and subscribe to Acorn to watch the British TV shows. I found that even with Prime, I have to pay a fee for each episode I watch but they are the only place I can watch shows like Death in Paradise.

My sister and I are hooked on a Place To Call Home and are awaiting the next season's airing. Also enjoy Murdoch's Mystery which is Canadian and Foley's War. Vera is okay and can't stomach Doc Martin. Vera isn't too bad but I loathe her calling everyone "pet". Find that condescending.

New Tricks is shown on PBS but here in the bowels of the south, there are no PBS stations on Comcast and I've not found New Tricks on Acorn or Prime.
It's on Hulu. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I refuse to pay another subscription just for New Tricks!

Prime is not the best for British shows. Death in Paradise, for example, is on Netflix. However, a quick search of the first 10 pages of TV shows on Prime produces the following...

Downton Abbey
Pie In The Sky
Doctor Who
Father Brown
Inspector Lewis
Poirot
Ballykissangel
Call The Midwife
Rome
Poldark
Orphan Black
Upstairs Downstairs
Prime Suspect
Doc Martin
Luther
Mr Selfridge
Sherlock
Fawlty Towers

Not too shabby. Nothing's too new, but there's enough to keep you amused and entertained!
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We have Prime, Netflix and Acorn. I've not found Death in Paradise on Netflix recently so will have to look again. Like you, I will not pay for another streamer, i.e. Hulu, just for one series.

BTW it is not British, but I have come to like the series "Grace and Frankie" on Netflix. While I dislike Jane Fonda's political views and she never was much of an actor, her acting on this is better than usual for her but Lily Tomlin is award quality.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:03 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so I'm not completely crazy. I was finding British shows, it's just that I had already seen most of them. I've been watching British shows, for pretty much my whole life, on PBS and back in the day when we actually rented movies. I'm really interested in new(ish) crime series --- those are my favorite. Currently addicted to The Tunnel. I loved Whitechapel but had to DVR and then watch during daylight because it scared me so much.

I appreciate everybody's input and am interested in what you are all watching on Prime, even if it isn't a Brit show. I'll put them on my favorites or whatever it's called.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:08 am
Concierge

Check out Acorn online, Leslie. They not only have current and past tv series but they have documentaries and movies as well. These would be just what you are looking for. Roku is not expensive, believe it is $69 for the equipment and the monthly fee for quite acceptable for those of us on fixed incomes.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Roku actually starts at $39 for the previous generation Roku Stick and Groupon has it for just $20 at the moment. I bought the newest generation Roku Stick ($49) just for UKTV.

UKTV which, for just $1.99 a month, offers all of the main channels and several more, live! I'm not sure about the legality and, of course, there;s no DVR, it's all live, but for a couple of dollars, I'll keep it while it lasts! Quality is not exactly HD either, but it's a good way to keep in touch.

We also have two flavours of Fire TV (main box in the living room and Stick in the bedroom), but there really is no need for both. I just had to get the Roku as the Fire doesn't offer UKTV.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:26 am
WTF?

Check out Acorn online, Leslie. They not only have current and past tv series but they have documentaries and movies as well. These would be just what you are looking for. Roku is not expensive, believe it is $69 for the equipment and the monthly fee for quite acceptable for those of us on fixed incomes.
Originally Posted by Guindalf
Roku actually starts at $39 for the previous generation Roku Stick and Groupon has it for just $20 at the moment. I bought the newest generation Roku Stick ($49) just for UKTV.

UKTV which, for just $1.99 a month, offers all of the main channels and several more, live! I'm not sure about the legality and, of course, there;s no DVR, it's all live, but for a couple of dollars, I'll keep it while it lasts! Quality is not exactly HD either, but it's a good way to keep in touch.

We also have two flavours of Fire TV (main box in the living room and Stick in the bedroom), but there really is no need for both. I just had to get the Roku as the Fire doesn't offer UKTV.
I'm sorry if I sound stupid, this is my first foray into streaming at home. Couple of questions:

Is Acorn free? Somewhere along the line, I saw that if I signed up for Acorn I could watch this or that show but I didn't really know what "Acorn" was.

My big TV came with an already installed Roku stick. I registered for my Roku account but haven't paid anything yet. I also don't know exactly how this works.

Thanks you guys, as always, BE delivers.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 7:41 am
Concierge

Great on having it already on your television. I have older models and we needed the equipment.

Check out acorn here:

https://acorn.tv/featured

I believe it is something like $4.99 a month. Don't quote me though LOL

Thought I saw the price for the equipment as 69.99 but then I didn't buy it. Hubby gave it to me for Christmas when we were still living a country length apart.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 17th 2016 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, Acorn has a subscription, but as most of what's available on it can be found in the bigger streaming services (Netflix and Amazon Prime), I wouldn't add another sub to what I already have.

If you have a Roku Stick already, then all you need to do is go to the search screen and look for the channels you want (search for "UKTV', for example). Then add the channel and follow the instructions onscreen. Your Roku should already be set up if you registered and the billing is done through your Roku account (you must have a credit or debit card associated with it to open an account). Acorn would work in the same way, but I believe there's a free trial with that one so you can see if it's worth it to you!
Old Jul 17th 2016, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think Netflix has more.

But honestly, the best detective show in the history of the world ever is on cable every day.... that's right, Murder She Wrote is on cable every day.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a good internet connection have you looked at filmon.com? Streaming is free but DVR costs $9.99 a month for 11 hours. download show, delete from Filmon and time is available again. I use it here to record our UK TV but watch certain shows such as Andrew Marr via streaming - due to the time difference.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

We have Prime, Netflix and Acorn. I've not found Death in Paradise on Netflix recently so will have to look again. Like you, I will not pay for another streamer, i.e. Hulu, just for one series.

BTW it is not British, but I have come to like the series "Grace and Frankie" on Netflix. While I dislike Jane Fonda's political views and she never was much of an actor, her acting on this is better than usual for her but Lily Tomlin is award quality.
I AM Frankie!! I put my hair band on and my whole demeanor morphs into Frankie
Loved that show, and I hope they make more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.