Amazon news

Old Jun 16th 2017, 1:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazon news

I thought about putting this in the WTF thread ..... Amazon is going to buy Wholefoods.

I read just a week or two ago an article discussing the likelihood of Amazon buying a brick-and-mortar retailer, perhaps one of the troubled department stores such as Sears or JC Penny (which the article totally disconted) or one of the national "dollar" chains, which would give Amazon a great platform for nationwide "deliver to store" service, not to mention warehouses and a large fleet of trucks to expand their own in-house shipping. Wholepaycheck was not mentioned in the article. It might be significant that the Wholefoods deal is a tiny percentage of Amazon's value - less than 3%.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 16th 2017 at 1:51 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Amazon news

Not an obvious tie in.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought about putting this in the WTF thread ..... Amazon is going to buy Wholefoods.

I read just a week or two ago an article discussing the likelihood of Amazon buying a brick-and-mortar retailer, perhaps one of the troubled department stores such as Sears or JC Penny (which the article totally disconted) or one of the national "dollar" chains, which would give Amazon a great platform for nationwide "deliver to store" service, not to mention warehouses and a large fleet of trucks to expand their own in-house shipping. Wholepaycheck was not mentioned in the article. It might be significant that the Wholefoods deal is a tiny percentage of Amazon's value - less than 3%.
According to this report Amazon stock rose by 2.6% so a free acquisition (nearly).
Old Jun 16th 2017, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
According to this report Amazon stock rose by 2.6% so a free acquisition (nearly).
That's weird too - in most cases when an acquisition is announced, the buyer's stock price goes down.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:06 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a reasonable fit to me. Amazon have been trying to get into groceries for quite some time. This might give them the infrastructure to actually do it.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Seems like a reasonable fit to me. Amazon have been trying to get into groceries for quite some time. This might give them the infrastructure to actually do it.
They are in groceries aren't they? I order stuff from them all the time, although not the "fresh" stuff.

I do hope it doesn't mean Whole Foods prices though.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:15 pm

But Wholefoods is a niche player with limited footprint, and relatively limited infrastructure. By contrast Kroger has a market cap today of less than twice that of Wholefoods, but with hundreds of stores from coast to coast and in many more cities than Wholefoods.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:24 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
They are in groceries aren't they? I order stuff from them all the time, although not the "fresh" stuff.

I do hope it doesn't mean Whole Foods prices though.
Only in a dozen or so cities I think. Their distribution centers are a limitation.

But Wholefoods is a niche player with limited footprint, and relatively limited infrastructure. By contrast Kroger has a market cap today of less than twice that of Wholefoods, but with hundreds of stores from coast to coast and in many more cities than Wholefoods.
Their (perceived) customer base look exactly how I would think Amazon want their customers to be. Slightly upmarket and "organic". Whatever that means.

Certainly seems to have rattled share prices in the industry.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:28 pm

.... Their (perceived) customer base look exactly how I would think Amazon want their customers to be. .....
More money than sense?
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:30 pm

More money than sense?
In some ways maybe.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Only in a dozen or so cities I think. Their distribution centers are a limitation.

Their (perceived) customer base look exactly how I would think Amazon want their customers to be. Slightly upmarket and "organic". Whatever that means.

Certainly seems to have rattled share prices in the industry.
I use the "prime pantry" which carries things that I need like laundry supplies, cat food, cat litter, and certain shelf/dry goods that the family consumes, and often has options at very good prices. We do most of our shopping at Trader Joe which is good for many things but woefully deficient in others, and this way I can get those other things delivered and avoid the time and expense of driving around to several other shops. I also have a card on that account that gives me 5% back on all purchases.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:39 pm

I use the "prime pantry" which carries things that I need like laundry supplies, cat food, cat litter, and certain shelf/dry goods that the family consumes, and often has options at very good prices. We do most of our shopping at Trader Joe which is good for many things but woefully deficient in others, and this way I can get those other things delivered and avoid the time and expense of driving around to several other shops. I also have a card on that account that gives me 5% back on all purchases.
Everything I buy comes from Amazon. Ditto on the card.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even know this existed.

I'll have to check it out. Could save us some money.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly upmarket and "organic". Whatever that means.
"Organic?" Also not sure, but I'm always concerned when my wife brings home inorganic lettuce, milk and bread. Has that hard, stony, metalic, gritty mouth feel.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:43 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Very mixed feelings in Austin.. hope they keep the HQ here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.