Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Amazon Delivered Item; But Cancelled Item Prior to Delivery

Amazon Delivered Item; But Cancelled Item Prior to Delivery

Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Amazon Delivered Item; But Cancelled Item Prior to Delivery

So long story short, I placed an order for a king size headboard on Memorial Weekend and being a Prime Member; it got delivered today. I contacted Amazon on June 1 asking for a cancellation and got a refund for the item almost immediately and they said that they would make sure the item is not delivered (so as to not incur shipping charges on our side). Just now half an hour ago I was surprised to see the UPS van trying to deliver the item. Luckily I was at home so was able to cancel the delivery; but usually I am out at work. Bear in mind that the package is long, and is 89lbs. So it's practically impossible for us to take it back to a UPS center ourselves to return the item as it'll not fit in our car and also return shipping charges are going to be too much.

What do you do in this situation (for next time)? Has this happened to anyone else before? Getting a refund prior to shipping the item back?
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon Delivered Item; But Cancelled Item Prior to Delivery

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
So long story short, I placed an order for a king size headboard on Memorial Weekend and being a Prime Member; it got delivered today. I contacted Amazon on June 1 asking for a cancellation and got a refund for the item almost immediately and they said that they would make sure the item is not delivered (so as to not incur shipping charges on our side). Just now half an hour ago I was surprised to see the UPS van trying to deliver the item. Luckily I was at home so was able to cancel the delivery; but usually I am out at work. Bear in mind that the package is long, and is 89lbs. So it's practically impossible for us to take it back to a UPS center ourselves to return the item as it'll not fit in our car and also return shipping charges are going to be too much.

What do you do in this situation (for next time)? Has this happened to anyone else before? Getting a refund prior to shipping the item back?
Contact Amazon and ask them to arrange for the item to be picked up at no cost to you. You did the best thing which was to refuse the item, but there are some times when the delivery driver might just leave the item if you are out
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do in this situation (for next time)?
Contact Amazon.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Getting a refund prior to shipping the item back?

Yes. Contact Amazon, explain the situation and they'll sort something out. You may get some brownie points in the way of a gift card or money off of prime membership for doing it. That is what they did for me.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 1:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I love Amazon customer service. I'm in the USA, but ordered a book to be delivered from the UK. It came to me damaged. Amazon immediately refunded my money, including shipping, and told me I could keep the damaged book! Of course I ordered another copy (hopefully arrives undamaged), but it was nice of them to let me keep the damaged one anyway.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:16 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

From past experience, I suspect you could have kept the headboard for free, had you accepted delivery.
Amazon is very good at taking care of customers. I've benefited several times from their mistakes; one item costing over $500