Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Am I dialing this UK number wrong? Is it a fake/fradulent number?

Am I dialing this UK number wrong? Is it a fake/fradulent number?

Old Dec 18th 2020, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I dialing this UK number wrong? Is it a fake/fradulent number?

I am trying to contact this company ICP MACHINERY LIMITED
Gerwyn Fechan, Bangor On Dee, Wrexham, LL13 0SL, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 (0)744 714 5109

The number is not working. I am dialling 011 44 744 714 5109 . I also tried 011 44 0 744 714 5109
Not getting any response.

When I looked up the area code for Wrexham, the BT website says it is 01978
https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/Dial...tionalCodeId=0

When I googled " UK area code 744" , the second Google search hit is below website stating 744 is a fake number / number spoofer and to be suspicious of anyone calliing from that number.
https://fakenumber.org/phone/+44-744

I want to buy some industrial equipment from the above English company which deals in used equipment.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Dec 18th 2020 at 5:07 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 4:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I dialing this UK number wrong? Is it a fake/fradulent number?

I’m pretty sure that info is wrong. 744 followed by seven digits is a mobile number, quite legitimate. My English mobile number is 0744 followed by seven digits.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I am trying to contact this companyICP MACHINERY LIMITED
Gerwyn Fechan, Bangor On Dee, Wrexham, LL13 0SL, United Kingdom

The number is not working. I am dialling 011 44 744 714 5109 . I also tried 011 44 0 744 714 5109
Not getting any response.

When I looked up the area code for Wrexham, the BT website says it is 01978
https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/Dial...tionalCodeId=0

When I googled " UK area code 744" , the second Google search hit is below website stating 744 is a fake number / number spoofer and to be suspicious of anyone calliing from that number.
https://fakenumber.org/phone/+44-744

I want to buy some industrial equipment from the above English company which deals in used equipment.
07445 is a 3 mobile prefix.

The number on their Contact Us webpage may be an old mobile number, maybe for someone who no longer works there. https://www.icp-machinery.com/

I'd go with their landline number., +44 1782 316791, which I found here. And here's their public Companies House record.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Dec 18th 2020 at 4:56 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
07445 is a 3 mobile prefix.

The number on their Contact Us webpage may be an old mobile number, maybe for someone who no longer works there. https://www.icp-machinery.com/

I'd go with their landline number., +44 1782 316791, which I found here. And here's their public Companies House record.
Thanks to both of you . Will try the landline .

Just tried the landline. Am getting an English automated voice saying " The number you have called is not recognized. Please check the number and dial again"

I dialled 011 44 1782 316791
Also tried 011 44 0 1782 316791

Last edited by Boomhauer; Dec 18th 2020 at 5:09 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Just tried the landline. Am getting an English automated voice saying " The number you have called is not recognized. Please check the number and dial again"

I have no other suggestions at the moment. The address and postcode seems to come back to a farm and nearby cottages. I'll see what else I can find out later.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I have no other suggestions at the moment. The address and postcode seems to come back to a farm and nearby cottages. I'll see what else I can find out later.
Thanks for the help

I emailed the Village of Bagor on Dee, asking if there was a business named ICP Machinery limited , and if they recognize the name Stanley Robert Macin, the owner and or operator.

I am wary because there are a lot of scams in the UK involving desirable machine tools. Especially on UK Craigslist. Scammers take pictures of machinery that they do not own and post them for sale, hoping someone would wire them money for the machine. Some years back a scammer tried to get me to send him thousands of pounds for a machine, but after contacting the local police in the Isles of Scilly (where the machine was supposedly located) I realized it was a scam.

The difference in this case is that a website exsits for ICP Machinery Limited , which on the surface seems to be a real dealer. It would be a new development in the machinery scammer world if they went to the trouble of conjuring up an entire website. That still doesn't explain how they could conjure up a history for the business, which seems to have exsisted since 1994 according to below site.
https://opencorporates.com/companies/gb/02966491

What address did you use that brought up images of farm/cottages?

I googled "Gerwyn Fechan, Bangor On Dee, Wrexham, LL13 0SL, United Kingdom" ; the google maps just shows me the general area of the village of Bangor on Dee. Not getting a hit for a specific farm or house or business.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Dec 18th 2020 at 7:18 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 7:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried emailing them via the site link?
Old Dec 18th 2020, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you tried emailing them via the site link?
Yes, but only did that very early morning today. I did email them a few days ago via their For Sale addvert on website that hosts used machinery dealers.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the help

I emailed the Village of Bagor on Dee, asking if there was a business named ICP Machinery limited , and if they recognize the name Stanley Robert Macin, the owner and or operator.

I am wary because there are a lot of scams in the UK involving desirable machine tools. Especially on UK Craigslist. Scammers take pictures of machinery that they do not own and post them for sale, hoping someone would wire them money for the machine. Some years back a scammer tried to get me to send him thousands of pounds for a machine, but after contacting the local police in the Isles of Scilly (where the machine was supposedly located) I realized it was a scam.

The difference in this case is that a website exsits for ICP Machinery Limited , which on the surface seems to be a real dealer. It would be a new development in the machinery scammer world if they went to the trouble of conjuring up an entire website. That still doesn't explain how they could conjure up a history for the business, which seems to have exsisted since 1994 according to below site.
https://opencorporates.com/companies/gb/02966491

What address did you use that brought up images of farm/cottages?

I googled "Gerwyn Fechan, Bangor On Dee, Wrexham, LL13 0SL, United Kingdom" ; the google maps just shows me the general area of the village of Bangor on Dee. Not getting a hit for a specific farm or house or business.
I'm a little more devious than that The first image is a Companies house listing of another company he's listed as Director and Secretary of, listing his occupation as Farmer, that business address has a slightly different postcode.. The second is a Google Maps search for that company. Google Street View is available.

Also note the Maps entry has a different phone number.

Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll try that 01978 78025 number early morning tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

I'll try that 01978 78025 number early morning tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.
You were missing a digit. It's 01978 480 245

Remember, it's Saturday here, so if it's a business line, it might not get answered before Monday. But at least you'll know if it works... Hope it works out for you...
Old Dec 25th 2020, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Don't dial 011 44 at the start. Just 0044. If you are using an iPhone, press and hold 0 to make a + and then add 44.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by notaclue
Don't dial 011 44 at the start. Just 0044. If you are using an iPhone, press and hold 0 to make a + and then add 44.
Just tried that, am getting recorded message stating "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect, please check the number and dial again"