Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Alternative to landline.

Alternative to landline.

Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:27 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all
Question Alternative to landline.

Only new to this but has anyone purchased and used the Magic Jack to call the UK I use Skype but my sister who is getting on in years does not and will not download Skype and she would love not to have to wait for me to call her-We have no need for a landline so she would have to call my cell phone and that can be costly, I was thinking of the Magic Jack to get the phone number were she could call when she wanted.....Would love your feedback.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 8:40 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alternative to landline.

Will not or can not download skype? I'd try again if I were you, maybe someone with some no how could go around and do it for her set up the account etc?

I set up an account for someone at this end once and they just downloaded skype in the UK and logged in with the info I gave them.

Ive also done it for people here!

Technophobes
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Prof_Yaffel will become famous soon enough

You can get an online skype number which is basically a UK london phone number which, when someone dials in the UK , will ring your skype device here. The Uk caller is charged the rate for calling London what ever that maybe.
We get ours free as part of our unlimited calls to UK landlines annual package with Skype although having looked today may not be free anymore but its not that expensive either
Old Feb 7th 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Magic Jack is ok if you don't care that you are tied to your computer to make calls.

If you use a proper VOIP setup in conjunction with either a paid for VOIP service or with Google Voice then you can use a nice cordless DECT phone as normal and make calls to UK landlines for as low as 2 cents a minute.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:11 am
Just Joined

woadgrrl is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know much about Magic Jack, but in the past I have used Vonage, and was quite satisfied with the service. I know that you can also set up virtual numbers in other countries for people to phone; you could probably get one that would be a local call for your sister.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:30 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I am still using this service that someone on here mentiond

http://www.ukxpat.com/default.asp

You get assigned a number amd they call it and it diverts to your phone, people call me on my landline/cell for 3p a minute. Check the faq on the site in case it has changed.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:34 pm

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

You get assigned a number amd they call it and it diverts to your phone, people call me on my landline/cell for 3p a minute. Check the faq on the site in case it has changed.
Thank's this looks like the way to go. By the way had many a good night out in Bradford in my younger day's.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:11 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

Vonage.

$25 per month + $5 for a virtual number with an area code in the UK. Calls to the virtual number are local rate i.e. free in most cases.

They have a special on which is 6 months for $12.99.

Only downside is that if your Internet goes down, your home phone don't ring BUT setup a call forwarding and it rings your cell phone. Lotsi of other cool things you can do with it as well.

Happy customer for 5+ years.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior
Vonage.

$25 per month + $5 for a virtual number with an area code in the UK. Calls to the virtual number are local rate i.e. free in most cases.

They have a special on which is 6 months for $12.99.

Only downside is that if your Internet goes down, your home phone don't ring BUT setup a call forwarding and it rings your cell phone. Lotsi of other cool things you can do with it as well.

Happy customer for 5+ years.
Thank's appreciate the info.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

masymas will become famous soon enoughmasymas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass

Not sure if this is relevant to the OP.When I call my girlfriend in the US i us a company called 18185. You register a debit / crdeit card with them and you dial the 18185 prefix before US number. The call rate currently for US cell and land lines is 0.5p. It also works to other worldwide destinations with a complet tarriff online. UK landlines are zero pence per min.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:56 pm
Banned

Pistonbroke is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't trust Magic jack
It seems you still need a landline anyway for the internet link. I have a verizon deal it's 9c a minute to a britsh land line and 29c a minute to a mobile over there.
As for Skype I have no idea how to use it or set it up, it seems to me that Yahoo messenger with web cam is the same thing.

Philip.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

masymas will become famous soon enoughmasymas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
I don't trust Magic jack
It seems you still need a landline anyway for the internet link. I have a verizon deal it's 9c a minute to a britsh land line and 29c a minute to a mobile over there.
As for Skype I have no idea how to use it or set it up, it seems to me that Yahoo messenger with web cam is the same thing.

Philip.
I primarily use MSN messenger, which I think is pretty much the same as Yahoo. The difference with skype is you can call landlines and send txts but that those services are chargeable in the UK. Not sure about the states.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
I have a verizon deal it's 9c a minute to a britsh land line and 29c a minute to a mobile over there.
If you use Google Voice in conjunction with your Verizon plan you can cut your costs down significantly. You'd just put your own GV number in your friends and family list (so calls into the GV system wouldn't come off your minutes) then call UK landlines for 2c/min and UK cells from 12-16c/min.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We were given a Magic Jack by a relative in California (we're in the UK currently). It gives them a local number to call which is often free, and we use a computer. Apart from lag, and the need for the computer to be on, it works well enough for us. Mind you, a regular landline call a couple of days ago also had significant lag which was unusual.

That relative now lives in Gibraltar and she uses another Magic Jack to call us at no cost.

I've never used skype so I don't know how it compares.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

We have Vonage with a local UK number think it's an extra couple of $ a month.
Have had it for 5 years now no probs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.