Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

All things being equal...

Wikiposts

All things being equal...

Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:37 am
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default Re: All things being equal...

Originally Posted by G586
The house in the UK is probably becoming more in reach as time goes on.....headline prices haven't dropped that much but no one is buying.

You don't have to live in London to practice law.......depends on what vibe you are looking for. Will that not change anyway with your life plans?
That is true... though the opportunities in London are of course more manifold. Other half is from Northern Ireland - and I doubt that it would be great to practice over there.

Just thinking what cities in the UK would be safe to live in and have relatively good options to practice...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:44 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious as to what expenses you'd have to move to, say, Ottawa, but then I'm not clear what the employment problem is. If it's Ontario, that wouldn't help. Also, I don't think you said what you particularly liked about Toronto as a student. Are you living in the same area? There are a lot of Torontos!

Good luck with your decisions,

Bev
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:16 am
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm curious as to what expenses you'd have to move to, say, Ottawa, but then I'm not clear what the employment problem is. If it's Ontario, that wouldn't help. Also, I don't think you said what you particularly liked about Toronto as a student. Are you living in the same area? There are a lot of Torontos!

Good luck with your decisions,

Bev
The employment problem is that I am a lawyer and have to go through a tough requalification process. Added to that is the problem that I recently discovered that Ontario as a province does not have enough jobs for lawyers! Especially not articling positions, which is something every lawyer has to do. People in my position have started to volunteer to article for free just to get qualified!! I don't have that kind of money to spend.

To be honest, we've got a certain budget and if that runs out (which it will in September), then we need to go back. We have to bear in mind that it will also cost a few thousand to get re-settled in the UK. And I don't want to be totally broke and start from scratch.

I loved Toronto for many reasons - some are too lengthy to go into as it would involve giving a life history. I found Toronto to be very international, great cuisine, clean, cheap, friendly - most of these things are not holding up anymore. I think as a student I had a very high standard of living compared to the time I spent in London as a student - which probably influenced my views at the time. As to where I am living - exactly in the same apartment I lived in 6 years ago. I found it to be luxury back then - now it's a real dump!!!

It's probably just that life has moved on for me and I had some image in my mind that no longer holds true. Also, when we came on holiday in 2006, we stayed in a nice hotel, which probably made the illusion even greater.

I know what you are saying about there being a lot of Toronto - there are some beautiful areas here. But employment will be an issue for me - which is really scary, as I feel like I have wrecked my good London career by coming here. Hindsight is 20/20, though!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gotoronto
as I feel like I have wrecked my good London career by coming here.
My husband felt/feels the same way !! But one year on, things are a little better - he's had to 'let go' of many of his ideals, he's had to compromise hugely, and he potentially will never enjoy what he is doing from here on, as much as he did that London job. We take the p*ss now and he says "do you want to see my photos?" (of his 'former life' ).

I just feel for you hugely - Madmac is another forum member who's earlier posts from 2007 may be worth reading - they had a tough time with jobs and with finances - but he's still here In fact, this thread makes interesting reading ....
Old Jul 15th 2008, 12:54 pm
Elusive dreamer

Originally Posted by ann m
I just feel for you hugely - Madmac is another forum member who's earlier posts from 2007 may be worth reading - they had a tough time with jobs and with finances - but he's still here In fact, this thread makes interesting reading ....
Thanks very much for that. It is actually a superb read. It's made me feel a lot better. He did try and leave, though... . A lot to think about.