British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   All Immigrants Having Web Activity Monitored By DHS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/all-immigrants-having-web-activity-monitored-dhs-909156/)

civilservant Feb 13th 2018 8:59 am

All Immigrants Having Web Activity Monitored By DHS

[URL"]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/12/government-spying-immigrants-america?[/URL]

Discuss....

Former Lancastrian Feb 13th 2018 9:52 am

Re: All Immigrants Having Web Activity Monitored By DHS

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12440934)
[URL"]https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/12/government-spying-immigrants-america?[/URL]

Discuss....

Cant they are monitoring us. Meet you on the dark web to discuss;)

tooboocoo Feb 13th 2018 9:54 am

I'd be very surprised if the DHS (or its willing partners Google, FB, Twitter etc) weren't watching the web activity of everyone living in the US, not just immigrants.

Same applies in Europe, or wherever. Anyone who believes otherwise is naive.

Nutek Feb 13th 2018 10:49 am

Originally Posted by tooboocoo (Post 12440971)
I'd be very surprised if the DHS (or its willing partners Google, FB, Twitter etc) weren't watching the web activity of everyone living in the US, not just immigrants.

Pretty much this.

mikelincs Feb 13th 2018 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 12440998)
Pretty much this.

yep, fully agree.

Pulaski Feb 13th 2018 12:20 pm

There is probably a misunderstanding of what "monitoring" means, in practice. Even with thousands of people there is a limit to how many web sites you can actually read and how many bulletin boards you can task people with actually looking at.

"Monitoring" mostly means automated screening of web pages, looking for key words phrases and names, and flagging them for review by an actual person. For example, while I have no doubt that British Expats is of some interest to the immigration authorities in several countries, I am certain that, despite there being hundreds of posts every day, there isn't someone sitting at a desk spending all day reading BE posts, when the reality is that there might only be "actionable intelligence" once or twice a quarter.

And in the grand scheme of things, many of the questions here on BE are of such minor consequence, even in the hard-core immigration and visa forums, that the chances of the immigration authorities actually doing anything, at a time when there are apparently fairly widespread "roundups" of long-term illegal immigrants for deportation, and plenty of people from Latin America, Africa, Asis, and Eastern Europe who have every intention of coming to stay illegally and work in the US. So it is those areas where the resources are primarily deployed.

If you are planning a few hours of slightly iffy "volunteering", or coming to staying with your uncle, aunt, and cousins for the summer, the chances of CBP having much interest, or the time and resources to follow up, is extremely slim, to none. :nod:

robin1234 Feb 13th 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12441017)
yep, fully agree.

Probably prudent to only express conventional opinions online and always express support for the deep state. If you ever cross the street between walk lights, keep it to yourself.

Beaverstate Feb 13th 2018 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by tooboocoo (Post 12440971)

yup

dc koop Feb 13th 2018 6:18 pm

Could we take a page from the Cold War and set up drop sites for forum members ?

They can't tail all of us

robin1234 Feb 13th 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 12441349)
Could we take a page from the Cold War and set up drop sites for forum members ?

They can't tail all of us

A lot of my trees have odd holes (pileated woodpeckers, etc) that we could designate.

lansbury Feb 14th 2018 1:50 am

I don't care. My ex wife told my vetting officer I didn't support the royal family and thought they should be abolished, and I'm still here.

livinginnyc Feb 14th 2018 1:57 am

Good luck to the poor soul that has to review my logs of endless browsing of Instagram, Etsy, Amazon, eBay, Imgur and then getting into a Wikipedia black hole

kimilseung Feb 14th 2018 2:30 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12441610)
I don't care. My ex wife told my vetting officer I didn't support the royal family and thought they should be abolished, and I'm still here.

A very American sentiment. They beat you to it.

zzrmark Feb 14th 2018 2:38 am

They're probably just concerned that we aren't getting into the national pastime of buying guns and shooting each other. Poor old Remington are feeling the pinch, must be our fault, ha ha.

That or they're bored with watching their citizens shagging children, beating women and generally just grabbing some pussy. #depraved nation

Pollyana Feb 14th 2018 4:16 am

Weknow that Australian Immigration monitor BE to some extent as comments have been made to at least one agent about info posted by a client - I removed one such post, containing medical info, at the request of an agent, after a tip off from the department that having such info posted in public might not be prudent. And years ago one member was told by his case officer that she was hoping to see his 'got it' post on here that night after his visa was granted.