Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

All I want for Christmas is..

All I want for Christmas is..

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All I want for Christmas is..

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Yule cake is Yule Cake, as long as it's got no GMO's I'll happily take if off your hands. I'm not picky (aside from GMO).
Unfortunately it's still back in the UK, no Tesco stateside.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Funny I was just last night watching how they made yule logs and mince pies at Mr Kipling's factory, somewhere near Sheffield. They literally made them by the million. Just take one look at the ingredients on all these processed foods. I think I'll stick to homemade.
From what I'm getting from my English relatives, they are going more and more to heat it up ready made food.
Pre made roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Funny I was just last night watching how they made yule logs and mince pies at Mr Kipling's factory, somewhere near Sheffield. They literally made them by the million. Just take one look at the ingredients on all these processed foods. I think I'll stick to homemade.
From what I'm getting from my English relatives, they are going more and more to heat it up ready made food.
Pre made roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.
Aunt Bessie killed the Yorkshire pudding. It's not even that hard to make. Same with the roast potatoes. Bejams/Iceland is the heat up ready meal favourite place.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Aunt Bessie killed the Yorkshire pudding. It's not even that hard to make. Same with the roast potatoes. Bejams/Iceland is the heat up ready meal favourite place.
When I was last in the UK, my sister in law had several bottles of milk in her cupboard, the milk apparently doesn't need refrigerating and won't go sour. Tasted awful.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnwoo
When I was last in the UK, my sister in law had several bottles of milk in her cupboard, the milk apparently doesn't need refrigerating and won't go sour. Tasted awful.
That's called UHT milk, most people don't use that milk except in emergencies or camping. The full fat version tastes fine.

You can buy it in the US but it's more difficult to find. We have some for our GTFO pack.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I would gladly do your list of chores if I didn't have one of my own that stretched to inside the orbit of Venus.

Working this close to Christmas sucks goat balls. Everyone has shut down mentally and nothing productive gets done. I'm not even sure if we'll get out early tomorrow, since it's only Christmas Eve Eve, so I may have to abuse my salary privileges if it gets to it.

5pm at the shops is bad enough at a normal time of the year but at least you're not going to be there on Christmas Eve. I've done the emergency last-minute food run on the way home from work on the 24th in years past and it is utter Bedlam.
I should have been able to leave early today but I let my young guy analyst leave so he could meet his girlfriend at the airport. Young love!

Originally Posted by Rete
It will be better than on Christmas Eve or tomorrow.
It was bedlam! It was raining and parking was horrendous. It took me much longer than I thought and then just to finish my day there was a train backed up blocking the crossing so it took me an extra 40 minutes to get home.

But...work is over until Wednesday and now I can enjoy my sausage rolls and start wrapping and cleaning and baking!

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!!!!
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want that I'll gladly take it off your hands
You can't be that desperate.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 12:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I should have been able to leave early today but I let my young guy analyst leave so he could meet his girlfriend at the airport. Young love!

It was bedlam! It was raining and parking was horrendous. It took me much longer than I thought and then just to finish my day there was a train backed up blocking the crossing so it took me an extra 40 minutes to get home.

But...work is over until Wednesday and now I can enjoy my sausage rolls and start wrapping and cleaning and baking!

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!!!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! On to the good stuff. You have to make this a very Merry Christmas for your Elf in the Crib, SM.

Sis in Florida is desperate for rain. Push them clouds out over the Gulf and to Florida for her.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 1:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! On to the good stuff. You have to make this a very Merry Christmas for your Elf in the Crib, SM.

Sis in Florida is desperate for rain. Push them clouds out over the Gulf and to Florida for her.
The little Elf is going to be so spoiled. I can't wait

Our rain is the fine misty kind. It has been constant all day. I'll try to send it your sister's way
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 4:13 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

See, now that was your first mistake. Never give up an early departure from work under any circumstances, except possibly some kind of cash incentive.

Now, what have you learned ...
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 1:38 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That's called UHT milk, most people don't use that milk except in emergencies or camping.
Could be Soy or Almond milk too, That stuff doesn't need a fridge either

You can't be that desperate.
I takes what I can takes.

But...work is over until Wednesday and now I can enjoy send my sausage rolls to LivingInNyc and start wrapping and cleaning and baking!
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
See, now that was your first mistake. Never give up an early departure from work under any circumstances, except possibly some kind of cash incentive.

Now, what have you learned ...
Oh it wasn't done without me gaining from it. He has to work over the NY weekend and I get off 4 days again next weekend.

I have had to be really careful all year not being able to take more than 2 or 3 days off consecutively because neither of my 2 analysts were experienced or certified to run the Lab by themselves. Now it is all changing. Starting January 13th they will both have a years Lab experience, both are certified and both of them now have 4 hours of microbiology added on their transcripts. Finally I can make the most of my exempt position and take more time off.
I am so ready for this to happen.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Ended up with a grill as a complete surprise. Happy days!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old Dec 25th 2016, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yule cake is Yule Cake, as long as it's got no GMO's I'll happily take if off your hands. ....
You'll have to be quick to get in ahead of Nutek!
Originally Posted by tom169
Ended up with a grill as a complete surprise. Happy days!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Merry Christmas indeed!

We're waiting until after dinner to open the prezzies.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 25th 2016 at 12:26 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We're waiting until after dinner to open the prezzies.

That is so unchristmassy. You make the kidlet wait to open her prezzies? Buh Humbug! Unless dinner is served at 8 a.m. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.