Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

All I want for Christmas is..

All I want for Christmas is..

Old Dec 31st 2016, 12:34 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All I want for Christmas is..

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've driven in CA. Between (and in) San Franciso and Fresno. I just drove really fast in the left lane. Seemed to match what most other drivers were doing.
Whichever lane takes your fancy, tbh.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 12:35 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
State troopers, at least in Oregon, are mainly there for traffic.
Yeah, I've seen loads of people pulled over by troopers on my travels in Wisconsin. Though I got my ticket in my home state and it was Cook County Sheriffs, rather than IL state troopers who nabbed me.

Seems to be the trick is don't draw attention to yourself and don't push your luck.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of places speeding fines are a source of revenue. There was cases near me of cyclists getting tickets several years back and cars would get pulled for doing 3 miles over the limit on the freeway. it's mostly small cities with limited resources that take this approach.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
A lot of places speeding fines are a source of revenue. There was cases near me of cyclists getting tickets several years back and cars would get pulled for doing 3 miles over the limit on the freeway. it's mostly small cities with limited resources that take this approach.
The missus, her aunt got a ticket for doing 32 in a 30, on the edge of town out on the island in Maine. That town, nearly all the revenue comes from speeding tickets of tourists in the summer as the speed limit dips from 45mph to 30mph on the bend, just as you go down a short hill and there's always a cop at the bottom of the dip.

What annoys me is NH. "Live free or die", my arse...there's nothing free about the 55mph interstate and the permanent collection of state cops hiding in the ditches at the bottom of the hills or with the chopper up above.
Old Jan 5th 2017, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The missus, her aunt got a ticket for doing 32 in a 30, on the edge of town out on the island in Maine. That town, nearly all the revenue comes from speeding tickets of tourists in the summer as the speed limit dips from 45mph to 30mph on the bend, just as you go down a short hill and there's always a cop at the bottom of the dip.

What annoys me is NH. "Live free or die", my arse...there's nothing free about the 55mph interstate and the permanent collection of state cops hiding in the ditches at the bottom of the hills or with the chopper up above.
The bad thing is most of the radar guns probably haven't been calibrated in years. The attorneys love these tickets aswell. Surprised an attorney's card didn't come with the ticket. http://www.drivinglaws.org/resources...gun-accuracy-m

Last edited by mrken30; Jan 5th 2017 at 10:58 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2017, 7:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The bad thing is most of the radar guns probably haven't been calibrated in years. The attorneys love these tickets aswell. Surprised an attorney's card didn't come with the ticket. Fighting a Speeding Ticket: Police Laser Gun Accuracy and Maintenance | DrivingLaws.org

In Maine, you need to be present, not just an attorney, if you want to contest the ticket, which is why they love out of state people, because most just won't bother. Plus they don't notify other states if the ticket is below I think 20mph over the limit.