Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

all going pear shaped

all going pear shaped

Old Jan 15th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: all going pear shaped

So sorry to hear you are having such a tough time.
Cannot offer any advice I'm afarid other than to hang on in there these things happen as its part of life and life can be so hard at times.
Wishing you all the best and hoping things resolve themselves soon.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey Mate, you're having a rough time aren't you? Hang in there for the kids, and call home often. Things will work out, even though it may seem hard to believe it right now. And post on here as often as you need, lots of us have been through the wars overseas. Chin up.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

PSB182....
I was thinking that were do you live? someone might live down the street..

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Where in the US are you? I got a mate who lives in NY who may know some one, no guarantee at all mind you but i will ask for you. I know its tough for you but you have to be tougher. Just check my old posts about what happened to us in NZ. Hope it all works out for you, best of luck to you and your family.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:02 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

i'm really sorry to hear you are struggling .I know nothing of American law rules and practices but could you rent your house and take some of the work mentioned in Canada might notbe the perfect solution but it might turn out to be the ducks watsits .
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
i'm really sorry to hear you are struggling .I know nothing of American law rules and practices but could you rent your house and take some of the work mentioned in Canada might notbe the perfect solution but it might turn out to be the ducks watsits .
problem with visa's and the like...but then again, if he were a USC, there is NAFTA, but I think that's for only certain fields, that require a uni degree, so probably rules most trades out.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Calle how are you doing?
Over christmas I drove through Alsager and looking at all the countryside I was thinking of you,hope everything is well with you and the family.
My wife is in Wilmslow at the moment taking care of her mum,don't know how long she will be there but the doc's say there is nothing they can do for her mum,liver cancer same as my mum this summer,worst part about it she is only 65 and just about to retire.
I am keeping it together but it's hard,I guess the older you get the more you appreciate people (for me anyway) because 20 yrs ago I know this would have an effect on me but it would be nothing like the way I have been feeling.
Her mum worked in the hospice as a nurse taking care of very sick people all the time,she is a real life angel that everyone loves and she would do anything for anyone I was very very lucky to get a MIL like her.

btw I live in western Mass
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:01 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
Hey Calle how are you doing?
Over christmas I drove through Alsager and looking at all the countryside I was thinking of you,hope everything is well with you and the family.
My wife is in Wilmslow at the moment taking care of her mum,don't know how long she will be there but the doc's say there is nothing they can do for her mum,liver cancer same as my mum this summer,worst part about it she is only 65 and just about to retire.
I am keeping it together but it's hard,I guess the older you get the more you appreciate people (for me anyway) because 20 yrs ago I know this would have an effect on me but it would be nothing like the way I have been feeling.
Her mum worked in the hospice as a nurse taking care of very sick people all the time,she is a real life angel that everyone loves and she would do anything for anyone I was very very lucky to get a MIL like her.

btw I live in western Mass
Hiya Psb
I am doing alright. I haved moved from Alsager to Baddeley Green, just up the A53 towards Leek. I love it here. Are you going to be visiting here again whilst your wife is here? How did you feel about being back when you did visit?
I am really sorry about your mum and MIL. You are right, as we get older these things hit us harder. We have seen enough years to really appreciate good people and it grieves us so much to lose them. Our selfish younger years have passed and we see the important things so much clearer. Shame this wisdom doesnt come sooner, huh?
But as you know, all this will come to pass, and you will have many more briliant times with your children and others.
Please keep us informed, and talk to us. We are your friends.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 9:37 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there PSB - it must be so difficult for you being without your wife and daughter - it's hard enough all being together when things go wrong, so doing it while the family is split like this must be just awful for you all. I really hope you carry on being strong for your own and your families sakes and I truly hope things get better for you all very soon.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 7:50 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Hi PSB, so sorry to hear of your situation and although I can offer no more advice than that already given, just wanted to say I hope things get better for you soon. I lost my Mam and Dad when they were no age so I know what your going through. Take care and we are all thinking of you here.

Sparkle
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE,
I talked to the wife tonight, she had changed her date on the flight to jan 27 originally coming back in the 3rd but because of her mums condition she needed more time.Anyway I asked her if she was getting on that plane on the 27th and she said she can't get on a plane knowing it would be the last time she sees her mum,plus her mum would be in a right mess without her which is true.
So basically it seems I will see my wife and daughter when her mum dies whenever that maybe,I never thought I would ever be in the situation I am in right now,btw her job provides health insurance and she is under some illusion she will keep her job once she tells them she won't be back at work on the 29th and has no fixed date of when she will be back just whenever her mum dies.
If she looses her job and we loose health insurance I will have to pay about $800 per month for it (self employed) also we loose her $1000 per month income.
Sorry to go on with my sob story but I just have to vent somewhere as my kids (2 came back with me) for sure don't need to hear it,just wondering has anyone been in a situation like this before????
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your problems.

The only advice I can give is to get some St Johns Wort, it worked for me when I was going through a rough time over here.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

UPDATE,
I talked to the wife tonight, she had changed her date on the flight to jan 27 originally coming back in the 3rd but because of her mums condition she needed more time.Anyway I asked her if she was getting on that plane on the 27th and she said she can't get on a plane knowing it would be the last time she sees her mum,plus her mum would be in a right mess without her which is true.
So basically it seems I will see my wife and daughter when her mum dies whenever that maybe,I never thought I would ever be in the situation I am in right now,btw her job provides health insurance and she is under some illusion she will keep her job once she tells them she won't be back at work on the 29th and has no fixed date of when she will be back just whenever her mum dies.
If she looses her job and we loose health insurance I will have to pay about $800 per month for it (self employed) also we loose her $1000 per month income.
Sorry to go on with my sob story but I just have to vent somewhere as my kids (2 came back with me) for sure don't need to hear it,just wondering has anyone been in a situation like this before????
Sorry to hear your bad news...it is terrible when loved ones are ill back in the UK and we feel useless over here.
Just out of curiosity..do you plan on living in the states forever or do you want to return to the UK anyway?
Could you make the move and sell up yourself and go back to the UK and all be together..or does your wife want to live in the USA?
With all these worries and money problems i just thought the best thing to do was sell up and go back home to be with family and your wife.
I hope things improve for you. All the best.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Sorry to hear your bad news...it is terrible when loved ones are ill back in the UK and we feel useless over here.
Just out of curiosity..do you plan on living in the states forever or do you want to return to the UK anyway?
Could you make the move and sell up yourself and go back to the UK and all be together..or does your wife want to live in the USA?
With all these worries and money problems i just thought the best thing to do was sell up and go back home to be with family and your wife.
I hope things improve for you. All the best.
I would go tomorrow but the wife and kids like it in the states,I am sure the wife would go if the kids would want to go but they want no part of going,perhaps I should just say to the wife I am selling up and coming home,I really like your idea.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:17 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go tomorrow but the wife and kids like it in the states,I am sure the wife would go if the kids would want to go but they want no part of going,perhaps I should just say to the wife I am selling up and coming home,I really like your idea.
yes it is just an idea...i can't understand why anyone would want to be so skint in another country away from family..
Basically we moved to OZ for a better way of living, including money. Some say money doesn't matter, but of course it does. How can you enjoy life if all you do is worry about paying the next bill, not having a social life after working long hours for nothing.
I would go back home tomorrow too, but it's not as easy as that really is it.
God knows what i would do if my mum was ill..i really feel for your wife and admire her for staying with her mum till the end.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Over the past 6-12 months things have gone very steadily down hill,it started with the death of my mother over the summer then gradually the work situation started to get worse (self employed in construction) and recently the bills are greater than my income which is taking a beating out of our savings.
The work situation looks pretty grim for the rest of this year and competitors are starting to drop their prices just to find a days pay which means I will soon have less work and also less money for the actual work I do so it's really a double whammy.
To top it off my wifes grandad died over christmas and also my MIL who is actually as good a MIL as you will find has been diagnosed with terminal cancer.Right now 1/2 my family (wife and youngest daughter) are in the UK taking care of MIL and me and oldest children are here in the states.I think my wife will be over there until the end and how long that is I have no idea I would take a wild guess between 2-8 months I just know she could not get on a plane knowing full well she will never see her mum again.My wife and her mum are very close and like 2 peas in a pod they are both so kind and always wanting to take care of people.
The house seems like a cheap hotel without my wife and daughter here,I was always a believer that depression was a state of mind and can be changed at any time but maybe now I will re-evaluate that thought as I am pretty sure the way I feel is what people describe as depressed.
It seems recently the only news we get is bad news followed by more bad news,I have always been a positive person but its hard to look in the mirror right now and say "today is going to be a good day"
The kids at home with me are doing very good considering their mum and sister are not here,helping out everyday with household chores and the house looks similar to what it looked like when my wife is around,I guess I should look at that as a positive and realize how lucky I am to have them,with the events over the past year they are growing up real fast.
The dilema I am facing with the work situation I can only see two options

1,move somewhere else in the states where there is plenty of construction work
2,go home to the UK and do construction

That is the only field I have ever worked in and never been educated in anything else so I don't believe I could find another job in a different field earning anywhere near the money I have been used to earning.
This is starting to get long winded but I just had to get this off my chest and with very few friends over here I thought I would post it on here.
Everyday I am thankfull of the family I have but at the moment it does not feel like a family I hate my house without my wife and daughter and it maybe quite a while before they are back,even the dog hates it lol I can tell he knows something is wrong.I just had to get this off my chest and perhaps it will do me a bit of good and give me positive things to think about
Sorry to hear about your problems,hope they soon clear up and you all get back on the right road again.I have been a construction superintendent (Earthmoving) for the last 26 years here in Arizona and there is plenty of work here.They are crying out for journeymen in all phases of construction.This place (Phoenix Metro) has been booming for the last 20 years.You should have no trouble getting a job here.Housing has slowed a little,they were building 100,000 new homes a year up till last year.Good luck to whatever you all decide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.