British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/administration-crack-down-visa-pregnant-women-930575/)

civilservant Jan 23rd 2020 8:58 pm

Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...tourism-102713

Apparently Trump is still not aware that an 'anchor baby' helps in no way whatsoever until they turn 21 and can sponsor their family.

That said, I am not opposed to this change - it makes it harder but not impossible for a soon-to-be mother to get a visa to visit the US.

Boiler Jan 23rd 2020 10:56 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 
Well I have seen so many fraudulent cases, I think it was on Quora where there seemed no end of posting from ladies who had given birth on a tourist visa and were not able to renew their B2, the common issue was they were not able to show they had actually paid for the costs, Emergency Medicaid.

I can see the attraction and of course there have been numerous articles on it, California seems popular.

Wh431 Jan 24th 2020 11:03 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 
There was a documentary on this where they showed that it was a properly developed tourism industry for Chinese in California.

good that Trump is closing this loophole.

Pulaski Jan 24th 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by Wh431 (Post 12795287)
There was a documentary on this where they showed that it was a properly developed tourism industry for Chinese in California.

good that Trump is closing this loophole.

I heard that there is a private maternity hospital in CA which has it's entire business model based on serving Chinese women visiting the US.

kodokan Jan 26th 2020 5:33 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 
Or they could just re-amend the Amendment about birthright citizenship. That would solve the problem, and also solve the issues for the Accidental Americans like the sons of two of my UK friends, who were born here during a 2-3 year expat contract of their parents, and are now reaching adulthood and the looming specter of FATCA financial and banking issues.

Boiler Jan 26th 2020 5:43 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 12796140)
Or they could just re-amend the Amendment about birthright citizenship. That would solve the problem, and also solve the issues for the Accidental Americans like the sons of two of my UK friends, who were born here during a 2-3 year expat contract of their parents, and are now reaching adulthood and the looming specter of FATCA financial and banking issues.

Realistically that is not going to happen.

My impression is that most ignore it, certainly seems that is the case when many realise they have an option to move to the US with family, and realistically is they have no such intention that is the obvious thing to do.

Pulaski Jan 26th 2020 5:46 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 12796140)
Or they could just re-amend the Amendment about birthright citizenship. That would solve the problem, and also solve the issues for the Accidental Americans like the sons of two of my UK friends, who were born here during a 2-3 year expat contract of their parents, and are now reaching adulthood and the looming specter of FATCA financial and banking issues.

Amending the constitution is, for all practical purposes, impossible, and IIRC there have only been two amendments in the past 150 years that affect anything other than voting and political procedures, and those were the prohibition and repeal of prohibition.

It is far more likely, and I was predicting in the mooted immigration law changes that stalled out in 2017-2018, that the ability to sponsor parents would be eliminated, or at least greatly restricted. Changes in that specific matter wouldn't get caught in the constitutional restrictions.

BritInParis Jan 26th 2020 5:50 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 
Wealthy Chinese and Korean mothers aren’t interested in ‘anchor’ babies. They want to give their children an easy route to study and work in the US when they’re older.

Boiler Jan 26th 2020 5:54 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12796151)
Wealthy Chinese and Korean mothers aren’t interested in ‘anchor’ babies. They want to give their children an easy route to study and work in the US when they’re older.

And cheaper I think it is also seen as Insurance if, when things go tits up in China etc.

kodokan Jan 26th 2020 7:02 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12796147)
Realistically that is not going to happen.

My impression is that most ignore it, certainly seems that is the case when many realise they have an option to move to the US with family, and realistically is they have no such intention that is the obvious thing to do.

Realistically it is already happening. There are many accounts from people in Europe who were born in the US, returned to their home countries as babies or small children, and are now finding that their place of birth, as indicated on their birth certificate/ passport that they have to supply to banks as ID to open accounts, means that they are refused or even having existing accounts closed. From the banks’ point of view, it’s far easier and less risky to simply decline services than to become embroiled in complying with the legislation, administration, reporting, and resulting penalties on them for any non-compliance,

Pulaski Jan 26th 2020 7:20 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by kodokan (Post 12796185)
Realistically it is already happening. There are many accounts from people in Europe who were born in the US, returned to their home countries as babies or small children, and are now finding that their place of birth, as indicated on their birth certificate/ passport that they have to supply to banks as ID to open accounts, means that they are refused or even having existing accounts closed. From the banks’ point of view, it’s far easier and less risky to simply decline services than to become embroiled in complying with the legislation, administration, reporting, and resulting penalties on them for any non-compliance,

Well hopefully that we lead to reduced numbers of anchor babies in future. :fingerscrossed:

Boiler Jan 26th 2020 7:32 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 
Hmm
I do not remember being asked for my birth location when opening up an account, something new?

Pulaski Jan 26th 2020 8:15 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12796212)
Hmm
I do not remember being asked for my birth location when opening up an account, something new?

A lot has changed in the world of banking since you came if age. :nod:

Boiler Jan 26th 2020 8:16 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12796229)
A lot has changed in the world of banking since you came if age. :nod:

Undoubtedly true but would they not want you to update the records?

Wh431 Jan 27th 2020 12:12 am

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12795301)
I heard that there is a private maternity hospital in CA which has it's entire business model based on serving Chinese women visiting the US.

California is very expensive part of the country, so these chinese must have deep pockets.

There is a good sized Chinese community in California, may be thats the reason why new arrivals want to go there than anywhere else.

US still a big country by landmass and only sparsely populated (esp in the middle), so its an interesting question if they still want/need to ve all these dodgy migration channels open. Surely the US had been aware of this for a long time and there must be a reason why these affluent chinese are allowed to pursue this loophole.

Boiler Jan 27th 2020 12:18 am

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/asia/...est/index.html

The three people in custody had not given comment at time of publishing. All were charged "conspiracy to commit immigration fraud, international money laundering and identity theft," according to the DOJ statement.

tom169 Jan 27th 2020 12:27 am

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12796230)
Undoubtedly true but would they not want you to update the records?

Can of worms?

Yankashire Jan 28th 2020 6:35 pm

Re: Administration To Crack Down On Visa For Pregnant Women
 

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12794747)
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...tourism-102713

Apparently Trump is still not aware that an 'anchor baby' helps in no way whatsoever until they turn 21 and can sponsor their family.

That said, I am not opposed to this change - it makes it harder but not impossible for a soon-to-be mother to get a visa to visit the US.

Any lawful step to stop birth tourism is a step forward in my book.

I agree that the best way to deal with this would be to alter the language of the 14th Amendment, perhaps restricting birthright citizenship to the children of citizens, but I am not holding out much hope for that at the moment...


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:17 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.