Adjustement in new country

Wikiposts

Adjustement in new country

Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Americanwife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adjustement in new country

Hello peeps
My question is addressed to those who immigrated to another country to join spouses\fiances.
I am going to the US soon and i am constantly thinking about such small things as tooth paste, medicines for headaches,food, and so.
Most likely all those will be different from these i use here in my country.
Did you face the same problem after immigrated and how did you manage?
Thank you
Old Jun 5th 2004, 1:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjustement in new country

Originally posted by Americanwife
Hello peeps
My question is addressed to those who immigrated to another country to join spouses\fiances.
I am going to the US soon and i am constantly thinking about such small things as tooth paste, medicines for headaches,food, and so.Most likely all those will be different from these i use here in my country.Did you face the same problem after immigrated and how did you manage?Thank you
I suppose it would depend on where you are coming from but bread is still bread ...and aspirin is still aspirin... and toothpaste come in many flavors...I don't think you will find it to be a problem
Old Jun 5th 2004, 1:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hello peeps
I am going to the US soon and i am constantly thinking about such small things as tooth paste, medicines for headaches,food, and so.
Thank you
Having moved from Canada to the US, the changes weren't all that drastic, but there were changes. Medicines, for example, were top of my list.

In Canada you can buy Acetaminophen with Caffeine and Codeine over the counter - 8mg of codeine as I recall. In the US, codeine is a Schedule 2/3 narcotic and is available only by prescription. Doctors in the US are generally hesitant to prescribe narcotics as there is paperwork to fill out and a chance of abuse by the patient. Another is Aleve (naproxen sodium), available on shelves in the US but unavailable in Canada except by prescription - at least, that's the way it was while I was still living in Canada.

Food wasn't an issue for me - but many folks coming from the UK have indicated that the change in food was near the top of the list of things they most missed. If you're moving to a large urban area, you'll probably be able to find stores which cater to an ethnic population. In smaller areas, you might have to go without.

Ian
Old Jun 5th 2004, 2:02 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ian-mstm
If you're moving to a large urban area, you'll probably be able to find stores which cater to an ethnic population. In smaller areas, you might have to go without.

Ian
Or buy from Internet stores....
Old Jun 5th 2004, 3:37 am
MaƱo-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hello peeps
Thank you
Accept befor you get there that it will be very different. Try all the new products- different does not necessarily mean bad. Revel in those things you find good, accept those that are different, and shop around for those comfort items you miss from home. Depending on where you are (big city vs small town) you may find many home-grown items. Internet sites also are a good place to look.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Hello peeps
Thank you
First thing, you did not stated where you were coming from.

Secondly, do not expect everything to be like where you were coming from.

Thirdly, it takes time to adjust which really depends on your attitude toward moving.

Last edited by veryfunny; Jun 5th 2004 at 4:57 am.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 3:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
First thing, you stated where you were coming from.
Jeez your eyes are better than mine I cannot see where she comes from.. But I think its Russia.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Jeez your eyes are better than mine I cannot see where she comes from.. But I think its Russia.
I wonder why she kept it a secret?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:04 am
Ray

Originally posted by veryfunny
I wonder why she kept it a secret?
A quick edit there I see...first thing in every posting should state countries involved...would make things so much easier to answer..
Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Americanwife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys and thanks for your responces
I am originally from Russia, currently staying in Israel
Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by ray6
A quick edit there I see...first thing in every posting should state countries involved...would make things so much easier to answer..
Yes, I forgot to proof read before posting. If only I were perfect.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Then you should have no problems moving over here and finding what you are looking for.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:26 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

A few things I haven't been able to find are the ingredients for Christmas cake. Candied peel, ginger preserve -- that sort of thing. I guess I'll have someone ship them out in time for Christmas this year. That's another thing you could do. Get folks to send the impossible to find things. But for the most part, you can find most things in Internet stores based right here in the US.
Just curious, what sort of things will you miss. Things Russian or things Israeli?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 5:26 am
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to miss my Belgian chocolate the most.
The chocolate I've had in the US doesn't even come close to it...

And oh, of course, the typical Belgian fries with mayonaise, but I guess I can make them on my own at home!
Old Jun 5th 2004, 6:23 am
Ray

There you go....
http://www.russianfoodsandmore.com/en/

or if you want it in Russian
http://www.russianfoodsandmore.com/ru/index.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.