Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Adding insult to injury

Wikiposts

Adding insult to injury

Old Jul 8th 2016, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adding insult to injury

Originally Posted by mrken30
Some people can't afford to not be paid for doing jury duty. This is espcially true if it is a long case that could last for days or even weeks. If you get paid that may be a different story.

Yes, it's a civic duty, but feeding the family sometimes comes before civic duty.
Sure, but what I've observed when I've gone to the courthouse (twice in the last four fours) is attempted excuses that go way beyond the legally-required "hardship".
Old Jul 8th 2016, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Hardship is always subjective, I have known people earning way into 6 figures claim hardship. they may not be able to make their yacht payments. Just have to listen to some of the comments during the BHS interviews. Then there are people in extreme hardship that just comply because they don't have the skill or the knowledge to tell anyone.

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 8th 2016 at 10:50 am.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why they don't just choose out of the people who don't make excuses. When I went only a fraction of the people were called and one of them was a lady who had made an excuse but whose excuse the judge had obviously not thought acceptable. She continued to make excuses and the judge did not put her on the jury but had her stay behind for contempt of court. Most people get their normal pay in addition to a small fee for jury duty plus mileage, and there were dozens of people who did not make excuses and were willing to do jury duty but were not chosen, I don't know why the judge couldn't have taken one of them instead of that lady who was not good at making an excuse acceptable to her.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123
I'm not sure why they don't just choose out of the people who don't make excuses. When I went only a fraction of the people were called and one of them was a lady who had made an excuse but whose excuse the judge had obviously not thought acceptable. She continued to make excuses and the judge did not put her on the jury but had her stay behind for contempt of court. Most people get their normal pay in addition to a small fee for jury duty plus mileage, and there were dozens of people who did not make excuses and were willing to do jury duty but were not chosen, I don't know why the judge couldn't have taken one of them instead of that lady who was not good at making an excuse acceptable to her.
In California, at least, it's not for the judge to decide who is on the jury. The judge's role is to deal with hardship and other excuses (such as excusing people who have been victims of a crime similar to the one being tried, have close relatives in law enforcement, know the defendant or victims etc) and then oversee jury selection by the prosecution and defence attorneys, who both have a number of challenges to potential jurors. Potential jurors are selected at random by the clerk of the court from the available pool and then subject to questioning/challenge/dismissal by the two attorneys. For the murder trial I was on, about 600 people were called and jury selection took 2 1/2 days to end up with 12 plus 6 alternates. If the pool had been limited to those who didn't make excuses of some sort, I suspect it would have been touch and go whether we'd have got a jury.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 8th 2016 at 11:48 am.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people get their normal pay in addition to a small fee for jury duty plus mileage, .
This is from my employee handbook. I work for one of the largest non-profits in the country.

Jury Duty
a. Jury Duty is an important civic responsibility which an employee may be called
upon to assume.
1). Time off for Jury Duty will be granted without pay.
2). Because of the nature of employee assignments, it may not always be
possible to release employees to serve on Jury Duty at the time they are
initially requested. PTO may be used, if available. Employees may be
asked to seek an extension
Old Jul 8th 2016, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
In California, at least, it's not for the judge to decide who is on the jury. The judge's role is to deal with hardship and other excuses (such as excusing people who have been victims of a crime similar to the one being tried, have close relatives in law enforcement, know the defendant or victims etc) and then oversee jury selection by the prosecution and defence attorneys, who both have a number of challenges to potential jurors. Potential jurors are selected at random by the clerk of the court from the available pool and then subject to questioning/challenge/dismissal by the two attorneys. For the murder trial I was on, about 600 people were called and jury selection took 2 1/2 days to end up with 12 plus 6 alternates. If the pool had been limited to those who didn't make excuses of some sort, I suspect it would have been touch and go whether we'd have got a jury.
I see, so a large proportion of people can be eliminated, 600..down to 18. I suppose in a murder trial the attorneys might want to be very selective, and also people might be more prone to make excuses because they're not comfortable having to make a difficult decision.

In my case, it was a civil case and the jury had to decide on a claim and come up with a figure for compensation. There was a pool of about 100 people, most people didn't offer excuses and of those who did the judge accepted about 10. About 20 or 25 people were then chosen who were then asked questions by the attorneys. One person continued to say that she couldn't serve and maybe was a bit rude and got into trouble with the judge. From what you say, it's not the judge who decides who goes on the jury, so it must have been the attorneys who selected 8 of us to serve, plus a number of alternates. It all only took a couple of hours. So in this case there was no shortage of people and no need to force anyone to serve, they could have easily just selected from those willing.

I see now though that in a serious criminal case excusing everyone who doesn't want to serve could be a problem.

mrken Time off for Jury Duty will be granted without pay.

I worked for a company employing over a million people and it was company policy to pay for time off for jury duty (I got paid very little but I did get paid when I did jury duty!)
Old Jul 8th 2016, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken Time off for Jury Duty will be granted without pay.

I worked for a company employing over a million people and it was company policy to pay for time off for jury duty (I got paid very little but I did get paid when I did jury duty!)
I work for a small company only employing 170,000 people. I guess that's why we don't get paid.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:41 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
In my experience working as a vendor for clerk's offices in Georgia, I think a lot of people put more effort into avoiding Jury duty than it would take to do it!

I got my first jury notice to appear two weeks ago and to call on the Friday before for a recorded message. The message told me there was no need to appear, so I'm done for some time now and all it took was a local call!
No doubt the same people who would expect a jury panel present if ever they were facing a trial
Old Jul 8th 2016, 5:50 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There should be a law in effect that all employers will pay for workers called for jury duty.

The old excuse that small businesses cannot afford to pay employees is just completely invalid. How many employees of a small business are called for jury service at the same time? The average length of jury service is around five days.

When a trial is expected to run for a long period of time the judge will ask for people amongst those called to volunteer to sit on the jury. Those that do are people who have no problem with financial or domestic issues. That's my experience anyway.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 6:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Some people can't afford to not be paid for doing jury duty. This is espcially true if it is a long case that could last for days or even weeks. If you get paid that may be a different story.

Yes, it's a civic duty, but feeding the family sometimes comes before civic duty.
Yeah, not to mention, well down my way, they only compensate you after 3 days and then it's $50 a day.

Employer is meant to pay you your regular wage for the first 3 days, but most just say no works, no money.

If you're in Boston and had to drive in, you're spending $40 a day on parking.

Where we are, would have to go to Woburn and there's no way to get there by public transport and it's the polar opposite side of the county to us, a good hour or more away in the morning commute.

Oh well, hope you're feeling better Lansbury!
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Went to get the mail from the mailbox. Slipped on the front step, twisted my ankle and face planted into the front yard. Fortunately nothing worse than a twisted ankle and a few scraps and cuts.

The insult the only item in the mail box was a jury duty summons.
Ouch! Hope you are recovering
Old Jul 9th 2016, 12:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Ouch! Hope you are recovering
Thanks on the mend, at least I can put weight on that foot now.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, not to mention, well down my way, they only compensate you after 3 days and then it's $50 a day.
You must live in a rich state, here it's only $10 a day. They do have free parking if available. The bus ticket to get there and back plus a subway sandwich costs more than $10
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

$35 here.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 3:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Thanks on the mend, at least I can put weight on that foot now.
I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend, you old fool. .... Is that what you meant by adding insult to injury?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.