Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Old May 25th 2014, 3:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Knife would be his British upbringing.
He was five when he left the UK and obviously lived a life of privilege with a father and mother working in movies -- not every college kid has a nice BMW, even in CA. He was obviously as messed up as Adam Lanza, but happily didn't take as many innocent people with him.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Its pretty clear this guy has some issues, and was apparently receiving some mental health care. The mother found the videos last month and reported them, and police went to visit the guy but under current laws (both in Canada and the US) its extremely hard to commit someone involuntarily and police apparently determined he did not meet the criteria for a involuntary hold.

He was under the care of mental health professionals at the time of the shootings, but never showed any signs of violence, or fascination with guns.

Guns were bought legally, and background trace did not determine anything to prevent him from buying guns.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit

The story, thus far, is he killed half of his victims with a knife. 3 stabbed, 3 shot.

I opine his motive was 'fame', and not excitement. He could have gone to six flags if he wanted excitement. Our appetite for sensational news stories has whipped the media in to a frenzy we all feast on, just as the wacko hoped it would. Not sure what the solution is...
He may have used knives in the house but I suspect he got the courage to do that because he was packing 3 guns. Out on the street a knife is not the weapon of choice since some else may have a gun and people can run away.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't thought about my son's room mates possibly keeping guns before this. One of them voluntarily entered a mental hospital for a while earlier this year.
Old May 25th 2014, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I hadn't thought about my son's room mates possibly keeping guns before this. One of them voluntarily entered a mental hospital for a while earlier this year.
To be fair the vast majority of people with mental health issues do not own guns, nor are they violent.
Old May 25th 2014, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Gun issue strikes me as being secondary but I knew it would be the focus.

Obviously he has issues.

How many people could knife 3 people, his original victims. I would have thought sticking a knife in someone is much harder than pulling a trigger?

He also ran down a few but that seems somehow more remote and less worthy of comment?

I seem to remember the ACLU were involved in the cut back of mental health care, which the Politicians jumped on of course.
Old May 25th 2014, 9:19 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Out on the street a knife is not the weapon of choice since some else may have a gun....
So, you are a gun advocate then
Old May 25th 2014, 9:41 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Since guns and knives are equally effective, there isn't much reason for our military to bother with all of the expense of guns, ammunition and weapons training when a cheap switchblade will do the trick. Think of what a gun-free military could do to reduce our budget deficit.
Old May 25th 2014, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Since guns and knives are equally effective, there isn't much reason for our military to bother with all of the expense of guns, ammunition and weapons training when a cheap switchblade will do the trick. Think of what a gun-free military could do to reduce our budget deficit.
At very close quarters, maybe? I assumed that certainly for the British Army issuing a pistol would just be dead weight in most normal circumstances.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

It's really disappointing that some sources are pointing towards such things as autism as the root, as opposed to the larger cultural institution of male aggression to women they feel have wronged them just by saying no, or rather just by not saying yes. I mean I still refuse for it to be just as black and white as that, but it's still reflective of what I believe is a reversible social or cultural practice.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
The Gun issue strikes me as being secondary but I knew it would be the focus.

Obviously he has issues.

How many people could knife 3 people, his original victims. I would have thought sticking a knife in someone is much harder than pulling a trigger?

He also ran down a few but that seems somehow more remote and less worthy of comment?

I seem to remember the ACLU were involved in the cut back of mental health care, which the Politicians jumped on of course.
We had a guy in Canada last month go on a stabbing spree at a university party, killed 5 people with only a knife, a few weeks before that there was a workplace stabbing and 1 or 2 people ended up dead.

Guns obviously make it easier to end up with a large number of causalities quicker, but if the person doesn't have access to a gun, they will find an alternative method.

We as a society need to find a root cause as to why some people feel they need to go out and end the lives of others for their own personal issues, and try and prevent it from ever getting to that point.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
To be fair the vast majority of people with mental health issues do not own guns, nor are they violent.
Absolutely, but I suppose I was just that I hadn't even thought about it.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Old May 25th 2014, 10:40 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
We as a society need to find a root cause as to why some people feel they need to go out and end the lives of others for their own personal issues, and try and prevent it from ever getting to that point.
The root cause is that some humans are violent. Not much that you can do about that.

What can be done is to make it as difficult as possible for those with violent inclinations to act. Disarming them is a good start.
Old May 25th 2014, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

Take all the knives away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.