Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

6 mnth to go, planning for customs/VAT liabilities.

6 mnth to go, planning for customs/VAT liabilities.

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Schbang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 mnth to go, planning for customs/VAT liabilities.

Hi All, We've been living in a Singapore for 5 year, and just booked our flights to return to the UK in 6 months time, May 2011.

I'm just trying to understand the customs / VAT liabilities on any new electronic goods or furniture we purchase between now and then, and ship back with us. I recall hearing of 3 month cut off (i.e. if you produce receipts proving that the goods were purchased over 3 months ago, they're exempt) but am not sure, can anyone advise on this or point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:38 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 mnth to go, planning for customs/VAT liabilities.

I can't help you on the customs question although this link might help: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/moving.htm

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy electrical goods back in the UK? Prices in Singapore are much higher than in the UK, the selection isn't as good and any warranties on new items probably wouldn't be honoured in the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Picnic, that link is helpful, and yes it would not to be worth buying many goods out here. I can get some good discounts through my employer though, we'll compare with the UK price and consider any extra shipping/insurance costs before buying though.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

It seems I was wrong on the '3 months', HMRCs site refers to 6:

"5.1 Can I get relief from duty and tax on transfer of residence?
Yes. You can bring in your belongings or vehicle free of duty and tax so long as you:

■are moving your normal home to the EC
■have had your normal home outside the EC for a continuous period of at least 12 months
■have possessed and used them for at least 6 months outside the EC before they are imported
■did not get them under a duty/tax free scheme (but see paragraph 5.2)
■declare them to us as explained in paragraph 3.2
■will keep them for your personal use and
■do not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the EC within 12 months of importation, unless you notify us first and pay duty and VAT on disposal. Our National Advice Service can tell you how to do this."
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schbang
It seems I was wrong on the '3 months', HMRCs site refers to 6:

"5.1 Can I get relief from duty and tax on transfer of residence?
Yes. You can bring in your belongings or vehicle free of duty and tax so long as you:

■are moving your normal home to the EC
■have had your normal home outside the EC for a continuous period of at least 12 months
■have possessed and used them for at least 6 months outside the EC before they are imported
■did not get them under a duty/tax free scheme (but see paragraph 5.2)
■declare them to us as explained in paragraph 3.2
■will keep them for your personal use and
■do not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the EC within 12 months of importation, unless you notify us first and pay duty and VAT on disposal. Our National Advice Service can tell you how to do this."
Yes, it's a 6 month "window", but I don't know of one person who was ever asked to provide receipts ... when I came back, the airport customs guy didn't seem to know anything about any of this, and just wanted to get back to his cup of coffee.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we declared an item which we bought a month before our move and cost 24quid equiv.

Cargo was held up for 3 weeks while HM C&E raised an invoice for a pound or similar.

Pretty ridiculous...